The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

I've arranged the first half of the tune but I'm struggling with the second half in the key of g. The chart in f calls for an AbM7 chord for the melody note of c. Transposed in g is that BbM7 over d? The next measure in f calls for an Ao over d.....thanks......Dan

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hello.
    Is this any good to you...
    The Way You Look Tonight-way-you-look-tonight-g-major-jpg

Music is the key that can open strange rooms in the house of memory.
    Llewelyn Wyn Griffith

Yes it does!......thanks.....Dan

What does C - 7 mean?

I am transposing this tune from the key of f to g.........in the key of f eb=? db=? ab=? in the key of g.....thanks.....Dan

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdan
    What does C - 7 mean?
    Cm7. Standard way of notating among jazzers. You'll find it in most "real books" etc.

Google something like "music transposition chart" or "how to transpose chords" for the other.

In the fourth measure of the second half the melody note is d but the chart says cm7. I need a chord that has a top melody note d.....thanks.....Dan

User Info Menu

Change the chart to Cm9.

VladanMovies BlogSpot

Ahhh....Cm9 works....thanks.....Dan

In measure 6 of the second half the chart calls for a BbM7. The melody note is c so if I lift the pinky off the d it works. What is the name of the chord? In the next measure there is an a melody note and the chart calls for a gm7. What chord can I use there......thanks.....Dan
    Last edited by jazzdan; 10-28-2016 at 08:37 PM.

User Info Menu

In measure 6 of the second half the chart calls for a BbM7. The melody note is c so if I lift the pinky off the d it works. What is the name of the chord? In the next measure there is an a melody note and the chart calls for a gm7. What chord can I use there......thanks.....Dan
    That would be a BbMaj9

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Lawson. Do you have the answer to the second half of the question? The chart says to use a Gm7 for an a melody note in the 7th measure. What chord should it be......thanks.....Dan.....Did you go to Colorado this past summer?

User Info Menu

Thanks Lawson. Do you have the answer to the second half of the question? The chart says to use a Gm7 for an a melody note in the 7th measure. What chord should it be......thanks.....Dan.....Did you go to Colorado this past summer?
    What's the melody note?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

There's no need to rename the chord each time the melody note changes. I prefer to think of the melody as flowing over (or sometimes through) the chord. So I'd recommend leaving the chart marked Gm7. I feel renaming the chord for each change in melody note can lead to choppy non-fluid playing.

If you must name it, the first melody note in that bar is A, which makes the chord Gm9.
    Last edited by KirkP; 10-29-2016 at 01:52 PM.

User Info Menu

I am transposing this tune from the key of f to g.........in the key of f eb=? db=? ab=? in the key of g.....thanks.....Dan
    It seems like you're confused about the basics of trasposing. When transposing from the key of F to G, the key moved up a whole step, so every chord and note moves up a whole step. You can visualize that as two notes on a piano or two frets on a guitar.

I just have trouble going from keys with flats to keys with sharps....thanks....Dan

The melody note is a. Kirk says to use gm9 so if I do that the bass note would be Bb....f natural and a complete the chord.

Kirk, there's no way I could read my music with the wrong chord name above the chords. It would drive me nuts....thanks.....Dan

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rhoderick
    Hello.
    Is this any good to you...
    In this chart, it would be better to rename all the A#M7 chords in the B section to BbM7. Both chords have the same notes, but Bb is the correct name to be consistent with the naming of the 6, 2, 5 sequence that follows. Otherwise it's a good chart.
    Last edited by KirkP; 10-29-2016 at 04:29 PM.

Above the measures with A#M7 I had already susbstituted BbM7. It is very difficult for me to make an arrangement when the chart suggests the wrong chord for the melody note that I am trying to arrange. If the melody note is not in the chord then I've got problems. Most of the time it is right and I can come up with something that sounds ok to me....thanks.....Dan

User Info Menu

The melody note is a. Kirk says to use gm9 so if I do that the bass note would be Bb....f natural and a complete the chord.
    The bass note could be the root, 3rd, or 5th of Gmin. You choose! The Way You Look Tonight

g d and a sound best to me....thanks....Dan

User Info Menu

Now you've got me working on an arrangement, but I decided on the key of C because the melody seems to be more "guitar friendly" there.

The harmony consists of a bunch of 6-2-5-1 cycles with a change of key in the bridge. That could be really boring (think Blue Moon), but the melody of this tune is more interesting.

I try to make arrangements that I can sight read without looking at the guitar....that's why I chose g. Check out how I played Misty, Embraceable You and In the Wee Small Hours of The Morning. They are posted under songs further down. I'm looking forward to hearing your version....Dan

User Info Menu

No help to Dan, but for solo guitar, I like this one in Eb.