The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

In an Aebersold book, (Volume 48, I think) C-/F is the chord for the pickup to measure one. ("Do nothing 'til you hear from", then "me" falls on the downbeat of measure one.) The tunes in Bb (this version anyway)

I get that C- is the ii-chord of Bb, and that F is the fifth of Bb and I know a few ways to voice this chord. But none of them sound particularly good to me. Perhaps I misunderstand the goal of this chord in this position...

Help, please!

Here's a Diana Krall version. Not the Aebersold but it works the same way: short intro then an empty measure where the vocal (melody) starts. But I don't see why C-/F (in Bb) is the chord chosen for it.

Last edited by MarkRhodes; 10-08-2016 at 07:57 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Reminds me of my favorite Chicago joke...

Whats the last thing Jesus said to Streets and San?

C-6/F or C-7/F are both cool...F9 or F11. Not sure about C-/F...
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 10-08-2016 at 08:36 PM.

User Info Menu

Whenever I've played that song, the pickup measure is always left unharmonized, or with a V7 (in this case F7) played only on beat one as an 8th note, with the melody coming in on the & of one.
    Great tune.

Just looked at the melody. It very much suits the ii. I'd probably still want the 6th or 7th though.

User Info Menu

Thanks, guys.

Normally for something like this, I'd think about altering the V chord, but in this case the first melody note (in Bb) is Eb, the 3rd of C minor, so I get where it's coming from, but as a chord (all by itself, as here,) "it don't favor nothing" (as my dad used to say.).

At least now I know I'm not missing something obvious.

No. I'm with you Mark. Don't hear it as a minor Triad alone.

User Info Menu

I play it as a big band feature and the band drops out on the pickup measure, so I can do whatever I want there.
    One thing I used was a pianistic thing, where I'd use a tonic pedal above the melody. Resulted in an Oscar peterson/Hampton Hawes type of sound.

User Info Menu

It sounds like a V7sus voicing where there's no 3rd or 4th. Maybe that's what they played on that particular version?

---------------
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpG...ehpkEjhFsr-FZQ

User Info Menu

I find Aebersold useful for ideas on how one might reharmonize a tune but I'll never play from an Aebersold chart. I feel it overspecifies chords, locking you into a particular way of harmonizing. I much prefer learning the "vanilla" chords, then reharmonizing myself on the fly.

That C-/F in the pickup measure is an example. I think that measure just wants some form of a V7 chord. I think of C-/F as an F9 chord with the 3rd omitted. But why drop the third?

C-7/F seems a more interesting choice, and could also be called F9sus4.

But when learning the tune, I'd just think of it as F7.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    I find Aebersold useful for ideas on how one might reharmonize a tune but I'll never play from an Aebersold chart. I feel it overspecifies chords, locking you into a particular way of harmonizing. I much prefer learning the "vanilla" chords, then reharmonizing myself on the fly.

That C-/F in the pickup measure is an example. I think that measure just wants some form of a V7 chord. I think of C-/F as an F9 chord with the 3rd omitted. But why drop the third?

C-7/F seems a more interesting choice, and could also be called F9sus4.

But when learning the tune, I'd just think of it as F7.
    I think of it as a V7, especially when I'm going through the progression playing just the 3rds and 7ths ("two-note chords" or "essence chords"). The (minor) 3rd and (flat) 7th of C-7 (--in Aebersold nomenclature, C- = C-7; Cm would indicate the C minor triad) would be Eb and Bb, while the 3rd and flat 7th of F7 would be Eb and A. I like that better.

User Info Menu

Several other fake books use V7 for the pickup measure, so Aebersold is the outlier.

User Info Menu

Several other fake books use V7 for the pickup measure, so Aebersold is the outlier.
    Good to know. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Hey, this progression is amazing. I was listening to this and, for me, it would look like this on the guitar:

| E7(b5)/D / / / | C#dim7 [A7(b9)/C#] / / Eb7 | D7 // Ab9 (omit 3) | G9 (omit 3) |

where

E7(b5)/D = D, G#, Bb, and E

C#dim7 = C#, G, Bb, and E

Eb7 = Eb, G, and Db

D7 = D, F#, and C

Ab9 (omit 3) = Ab, Gb, Bb, and Eb

G9 (omit 3) = G, F, A, and D

What do you guys think?

I love Diana Krall.

User Info Menu

Ralph Patt's Vanilla Book uses a V7, as posted a D7 in the key of G. I find Ralph pretty reliable for the vanilla chords to tunes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rcandro
    Hey, this progression is amazing. I was listening to this and, for me, it would look like this on the guitar:

| E7(b5)/D / / / | C#dim7 [A7(b9)/C#] / / Eb7 | D7 // Ab9 (omit 3) | G9 (omit 3) |

where

E7(b5)/D = D, G#, Bb, and E

C#dim7 = C#, G, Bb, and E

Eb7 = Eb, G, and Db

D7 = D, F#, and C

Ab9 (omit 3) = Ab, Gb, Bb, and Eb

G9 (omit 3) = G, F, A, and D

What do you guys think?

I love Diana Krall.
    Which measures of the tune and what key? I'm not sure I understand your notation.l - especially the brackets. How about posting a short recording of what you've written out?

User Info Menu

Which measures of the tune and what key? I'm not sure I understand your notation.l - especially the brackets. How about posting a short recording of what you've written out?
    I will do it. The brackets on A7(b9)/C# was just a way, maybe stupid, to show the function of the C#dim7.
    I wrote in the same key of Diana's video, in C major.

By the way, the C-/F, as discussed above, doesn't describe the correct chord. This is used, I believe, only to give a clue to the musician about how to get the sound of the chord. Let's take a look at the notes you get when thinking about C-/F:

F - C - Eb - G

and comparing this with F9(omit 3)

F - C - Eb - G

I didn't call this as G9sus4 because there is not no 4th in the chord.
    Last edited by rcandro; 02-15-2017 at 09:25 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rcandro
    Looks like you're basically writing a 3-6-2-5 sequence, all dominant chords and jazzed up with inversions, b5s, b9s, and a couple of chromatic approaches from 1/2 step above. There are all kinds of ways to jazz up that progression, but that one sounds good. I don't think I've voiced E7b5 that way before, so that's a nice discovery for me.
    Here's a quick iPhone recording of what I think you intended, followed by a couple of variations. Am I close?
    https://app.box.com/s/s70wy0ms8gkmvso6hofwssxy95fz9uj0
    Last edited by KirkP; 02-16-2017 at 04:47 AM.

User Info Menu

I was thinking only in the chords. Listening to the Diana's intro once again I've realized that the last chord is actually a G7(13). This is the progression as I've understood:
    Do Nothing 'Til You Hear From Me-jazzguitarforum-progression-jpg