Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

i could show the world how to smile
    i could be glad
    all of the while
    i could change the grey sky to blue
    if i had you

changes anyone?

i've looked around and i can't find them - my version is lacking in various ways - help appreciated.

what a tune!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I don't know this tune, but there's something of that name in Ralph Patt's vanilla book:

If I Had You

Apparently there is also an Irving Berlin song of the same name, just to confuse matters!

User Info Menu

i don't know that book

but those changes clear up my silly problem

what fantastic service

thanks gb!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Groyniad
    i don't know that book

but those changes clear up my silly problem

what fantastic service

thanks gb!
    Glad to be of assistance! You've given me a new tune to check out (I see Django did it).

User Info Menu

thanks mike! much appreciated. that was super-clear - and some very nice little details that i will use

knock out tune

i'm listening to frank's version with nelson riddle's endlessly entertaining arrangement

i wish i could sing the bloody thing effectively - my voice hardly works at all. just well enough to tempt me into trying to pull it off - but not well enough to pull it off.

User Info Menu

Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Kenny Burrell.

User Info Menu

he pulls it off

User Info Menu

I first heard this song when I bought a CD by John Pizzarelli some years ago called All of Me. Here is the track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VbkXXOQgv8

User Info Menu

I play this one a lot. The changes I use are the same as the Ralph Patt chart.

destinytot Guest
    Al Bowlly.

User Info Menu

Here's a recent take by Duke Robillard. This is one of the tunes he teaches at Sonic Junction.

destinytot Guest
    Duke Robillard seems to 'sing' - through his guitar.

And his solo seems to start with a snippet of That's All - nice nod to Mr Cole (without whom...)

User Info Menu

i could be glad
    all of the while
    if i had you

changes anyone?

i've looked around and i can't find them - my version is lacking in various ways - help appreciated.

what a tune!
    Hi Jon,
    a suggestion for you, if you don't already have it? On a IPad / MacBook/iPhone
    it is possible to download iRealpro , which lists most Standards , very useful device
    easy to download with free updates. Highly recommended , can be used for backing
    on a live gig if necessary, I suggest that you look at it , an invaluable aid which can
    also be edited very simply. Take a look. I'm not sure that " If I had you " is included
    as my MacBook isn't to hand. But I'll be surprised if it isn't . There are approx 1550
    tunes and 1300+ Jazz tunes available . It's not expensive , a much cheaper alternative
    to BIAB.
    regards
    Alan

User Info Menu

Great playing from a guitarist i don't know - thanks mark!

Alan - really nice of you to think of that. i will look it up - i use no clever modern stuff like that and i should do (i'm not 50 yet!)

i got a cd rom years and years ago that has master index and about 12 'fake book' type things - its all i use. and there are loads of gaps.

can't wait to find out about this properly

User Info Menu

Great playing from a guitarist i don't know - thanks mark!
    You're welcome. Duke's been around a long time now. First heard him with Roomful of Blues. He can get gritty enough for anyone but I prefer his swing blues stuff. Made a couple records with Herb Ellis ("Conversations in Swing Guitar" and its sequel) and is still making records, touring. Gives lessons at Sonic Junction, teaching tunes (-from "Sweet Georgia Brown" to "Sweet Home Chicago" and throws in some of his own too.) Deeply influenced by Billy Butler and Bill Jennings. Posts on Facebook.

User Info Menu

Hello
    Are these OK?...

If I Had You - Chords?-if-i-had-you-jpg
    Music is the key that can open strange rooms in the house of memory.

Llewelyn Wyn Griffith

User Info Menu

i could be glad
    all of the while
    if i had you

changes anyone?

what a tune!

I love this version! If you guys haven't heard it, give it a listen...

Oops... I see the link was posted already, but what the heck.... it is a wonderful version. I play a lot of the same stuff John does on his recordings, as I warble out vocals to the standards I perform live and John's vocal range is similar to mine....
    Last edited by docdosco; 10-27-2016 at 01:04 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rhoderick
    Hello
    Are these OK?...

If I Had You - Chords?-if-i-had-you-jpg
    Music is the key that can open strange rooms in the house of memory.

Llewelyn Wyn Griffith
    That would be correct. At least that's what I play too. Great tune, the first I played it was at a gig, I had to figure out changes on the fly with no charts, just listening to the singer and bass player. I got it by the 3rd chorus. Need more ear training, or cleaning.