Posts 51 to 75 of 139

User Info Menu

1st string: X
    2nd string: 4 (3rd finger)
    3rd string: 3 (first finger)
    4th string: 5 (4th finger)
    5th string: 4 (2nd finger)
    6th string: Open

Dan, if you're looking for the first chord in Stella in the key of E this is a good place to start

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I am looking for the 1st chord in Stella and I thank you guys and will give these suggestions a try

User Info Menu

1st chord in Stella! Wow I thinl it's enough 1000 pages thread!)))

To be honest in original I personally like here straight min11 (no b5s) - it has more modern sound but I like it... and specifially woth this vocing
    0x5435 (Em11)

First of all the overall key reference here does not make much sence becasue it begins exactly in the way I described above - It's a minor cadence to the III of the key.

only I made it in C major with precuamable modulation to E minor...
    In original Stella it's Bb major and the turnaroud is expected to go to D minor (but it does not)
    In your E major version it supposedly goes to G# minor but is being interrupted...

so we look at it in that III minor key it's iim7b5 with 11 in the melody that goes to V
    In origianl Stella changes it Em7b5 with 11 (A in the melody) and the next chord is A7... faunctionally ot goes like it's going to D minor or major tonic... but then it's interrupted

But since Stella is so unstable tonally there are lots of jazz way to analyze these opening harmonies.

I like the approach Peter Bernstein describes here - referring to the opening chord in original movie score which is different from the typical jazz changes that probably came from bop ii-v's...

Check this Peter Bernstein video

He discusses this 1st chord

X1214X
    Resolving to
    X4544X on the tie

X1202X
    X4544X
    X4545X

I actually like the half diminished chords by the way.

User Info Menu

What is that chord?

User Info Menu

The 2nd chord on the chart is f#m7......the melody note in e is b (third measure) There is no b in f#m7. I need a chord that has a b on the second string open

User Info Menu

1st x
    2nd 0
    3rd 2
    4th 2
    5th x
    6th 2

User Info Menu

The one i gave you is an e diminished with a d# in the melody

User Info Menu

It’s an F#m11. The chart says F#m and the melody is B, so we just place the B on top even though it’s not in the chord. same way we did in the first chord

User Info Menu

from bottom up you have E, Db, G, Bb (thats your E dim) then we added the D# melody note on top

User Info Menu

So now I have the first line arranged....it sounds pretty good. The 3rd chord....b7 actually works and sounds good

User Info Menu

The 3rd chord is b7 and works as is but the 4th chord is bm7 on the chart and the melody note is c#(this is in the key of E)

User Info Menu

1st:x
    2nd:2
    3rd:2
    4th:0
    5th:2
    6th.x

This is a Bm9. just like the other ones it is a bm chord as written and then stick the c# melody note on top

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdan
    The 3rd chord is b7 and works as is but the 4th chord is bm7 on the chart and the melody note is c#(this is in the key of E)
    Dan, it seems to me that you're looking for an arrangement, but that's not the purpose of a lead sheet. A lead sheet is the melody on one line, annotated with a schematic guide to the harmony. It's a tool for improvising and for building one's own arrangement, not a fully notated score. If you can't find the melody note in the voicing that's written on a chart, you have to find a way to add it.

John
    Last edited by John A.; 05-23-2018 at 10:44 AM.

User Info Menu

I am doing my own arrangement but it is kind of hard when the given chords don't have the melody note in the chord. Stella is the most difficult because there are so many of the given chords that need to be altered. As I struggle through the process there are others that are following along and learning along with me. This forum is not just for the super talented and super smart guitarists of which I am not a member. I can however, crunch them all in ping pong.....Dan

User Info Menu

In the third line there is an EM7 and the melody note is a on the 3rd string 2nd fret? I am looking for a chord in the key of E that will work
    Last edited by jazzdan; 05-23-2018 at 03:25 PM.

User Info Menu

1st x
    2 x
    3rd 2
    4 1 or 4
    5th 2
    6 0

you'll get it Dan, this is a tough tune.

User Info Menu

9th bar? So you got 4th, 3rd, 2nd(9th) Root...

An Esus would work, it's just one beat... low to high 0 2 2 2 0 0

User Info Menu

Dan, the one I gave you with the major 7th (D#) doesn't sound good with the A in the melody. I just tried it. Go with what Jeff said or this:

Low to High: 0 4 4 2 X X

Or with the top two open strings like Jeff says...that sounds cool because they keep ringing as you play the melody

User Info Menu

I think the problem is that the EM7 sounds off, very awkward with the melody line, and Emaj7 makes the shift to the A# chord sound clumsy. See if you prefer changing the Emaj7 to 04x2xx or x7x6x5 (2nd inversion of A major)...

User Info Menu

Just play the written chord and put that melody note on top. You'll make new chords!

Chords are often just written in a simple form, so that the player knows its function. Whether you want a 9 or 11 on a m7 is up to the player. A dominant 7 could be done in a multitude of ways, but is still often just written as 7. Unless the melody dictates something specific...e.g. a 7#5 (like in Stella), telling you to avoid the 5th.

The melody of Stella is often on 11's and 9's. So when you play m7's with those notes on top...you're playing m11 and m9.

Chords are constructed from thirds; every other note in the scale. 1-3-5 is a simple triad. All the way up to using all seven notes in the scale 1-3-5-7-9-11-13 (though one rarely uses all 7 notes, especially on guitar...).

Bm7 with C# on top, what chord does it become?

User Info Menu

The Esus sounds good to my ear and is easy to play....thanks

User Info Menu

The next measure in Stella asks for A#m7b5 and the melody note is g# on the 3rd string. I can't find that chord in my chord book so I am lost

User Info Menu

You might try a very small chord here--x 1 2 1 x x will give you what you need.

User Info Menu

It sounds so dissonant to me...any other choices?