The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 36 of 36

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    However, like I mentioned, I have no such problem digesting other bebop composers, like Monk, and even Gillespie for that matter! In fact, overall I prefer Dizzy over Bird!

Yeah maybe musicians were exited in the beginning, but I think its fair to say most got tired of the concept rather soon. Wasnt hard bop or cool jazz was reaction against erratic bebop? Of course bebop is the root of modern jazz, but i think the idea to create music with the purpose to annoy or alienate people dont live long. Or does it?
    Yet here we are still playing Parker tunes 70 years later!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Dutchbopper Guest
    Yeah maybe musicians were exited in the beginning, but I think its fair to say most got tired of the concept rather soon. Wasnt hard bop or cool jazz was reaction against erratic bebop? Of course bebop is the root of modern jazz, but i think the idea to create music with the purpose to annoy or alienate people dont live long. Or does it?
    I don't think the boppers ever created their music to purposely annoy or alienate people. They created it because they ... could. Creative people tend to get bored with the mainstream and always look for new boundaries, regardless of what the crowd think.

Hard bop is just an extension of bebop. It's not a counter reaction by any means.

And do not forget. Almost 75 years later, people are still playing bebop. It is a genre that is completely irrelevant for the masses but people are still listening to it and playing it.

DB

User Info Menu

Thelonius Monk's tunes I never had a problem with and I think he's fantastic composer, far better than Bird IMO. His tunes have an 'avangard' sense of rhythm to it, but are also super melodically catchy, more like blues through the lenses of Picasso.
    Monk's an amazing composer!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbopper
    I don't think the boppers ever created their music to purposely annoy or alienate people. They created it because they ... could. Creative people tend to get bored with the mainstream and always look for new boundaries, regardless of what the crowd think.

Hard bop is just an extension of bebop. It's not a counter reaction by any means.

And do not forget. Almost 75 years later, people are still playing bebop. It is a genre that is completely irrelevant for the masses but people are still listening to it and playing it.

DB

Bebop is more popular now than it was when it was created. Audiences and many musicians wanted the Swing Era to continue it was danceable, easy on the ear. Then more work for musician because of the bigger bands and some just weren't into improv they were good parts players. Then not long after Bebop got started R&B came on the scene and again danceable and more about a honking sax player versus Bebop improviser. Coltrane started played with some of the R&B bands and had "walk the bar" doing solos. The myth of Bebop is bigger than Bebop was, Bebop was musicians music it was all about the challenge.

User Info Menu

DB
    I'm playing it, Im studying it, that's the purpose of this thread to begin with, to analyze Confirmation as a piece to perform with other musicians. It's a confusing tune for me to some extent, and I wanted to see how other folks here treat it.

"People still playing bebop.." This all common phrases that dont mean much to me. Do you personally play it, do you play Confirmation, do you enjoy playing it, what exactly draws you in, give me personal experience! Im looking at it as insider, as a doer, whos likes the challenge. But I know what I like or dont like about it, and why.

I disagree about hard bop. Its definitely an extension of bebop as harmonic langauge, but its also reaction against initial values of bebop that didnt concerned with listeners feelings. Hard boppers did care about listenability, and composition, and arrangements. They didnt want 'wham bam thank you ma'am we dont care if you like it or not' attitude of original bebop style.

Dutchbopper Guest
    Do you personally play it, do you play Confirmation, do you enjoy playing it, what exactly draws you in, give me personal experience! Im looking at it as insider, as a doer, whos likes the challenge. But I know what I like or dont like about it, and why.
    I like bop tunes. I thought most people knew that. I have lots of stuff out there.

DB
    Last edited by Dutchbopper; 01-10-2016 at 06:42 PM.

User Info Menu

I like bop tunes. I thought most people knew that. I have lots of stuff out there.

DB
    I'm not most people. Sounds great, the running notation is nice touch! Did you transcribe and wrote it down yourself? Did you ever play it at jams or gigs with others in unison? Honestly, thats my main motivation to learn it, I' ve heard it at a jam some time ago and thought if I was on stage I'd have to play it. And I like the chord progression. Thanks for sharing!
    Last edited by Hep To The Jive; 01-10-2016 at 09:03 PM. Reason: poor grammar

User Info Menu

Everything about Confirmation appeals to me. I find it very melodic, plus good changes. I play it on gigs and with friends quite often. My favorite bebop tune!

User Info Menu

Confirmation has a great beginning and end...a little forgettable in the middle...great changes. Classic tune.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Confirmation has a great beginning and end...a little forgettable in the middle...great changes. Classic tune.
    Thank you! You said it for me.

The opening part stuck in my head, great riff. The middle......... Well it was one of his earlier attempts, so it's understandable.
    Last edited by Hep To The Jive; 01-10-2016 at 10:58 PM.

User Info Menu

Early bop feel.. nice, plenty of space