The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

I'd love to collect a list of the guitarists who have recorded the standard "Like Someone In Love."

Can you help?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Kenny Burrell, for one.

User Info Menu

Rene Thomas, for another.

User Info Menu

Doug Raney
    Mike stern

User Info Menu

Lawson knows this but others may not: Jimmy Raney doing it live.

User Info Menu

55bar mentioned Mike Stern's version---hadn't heard that one in a long time.

User Info Menu

I guess I'm really impressed at how many jazz guitarists have NOT recorded this song. Wes Montgomery? Joe Pass? Jim Hall? Grant Green?

User Info Menu

The Venerable Tal:

User Info Menu

Tal Farlow on The Swinging Guitar of Tal Farlow

Hank Garland on Move! The Guitar Artistry of Hank Garland

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    The Venerable Tal:
    Bonus points that he does it in Eb!

User Info Menu

Martin Taylor:

User Info Menu

Doug Raney did a version on 'Introducing Doug Raney'.

User Info Menu

See post 4

User Info Menu

So here's Jim Hall with Paul Desmond (and strings)

User Info Menu

Promise you will eventually recognise it...

SICK!

User Info Menu

Kessel cut it on the album "Soaring". You'll find it on this (nearly) full album clip at 15m 35s

Herb Ellis included it on the album "Softly,... But With That Feeling" Great version, Vic Feldman on vibes

Johnny Smith...

the list continues....

User Info Menu

Dick Garcia,(with Bill Evans). Class !

User Info Menu

Here's Chuck Loeb's solo version from 2007

User Info Menu

These are all really great. I'm compiling the audio into a playlist so I can immerse myself in how guitarists handle this tune.

User Info Menu

I found also that Peter Leitch does the song on his album "Mean What You Say" but I can't find it available for purchase and download anywhere. So far haven't found his performance of this tune on YouTube either.

User Info Menu

It's a great tune. Here's my take, with the "Bill Evans" key change from Ab-D. This version is from "The Guitar Show" from a New York area cable channel, I also recorded it on a duo CD will bassist Kelly Sill, Peace(Blujazz). Best wishes for exploring this tune!

Welcome to PaulKogut.com

User Info Menu

Ron Eschete recorded a solo version on "A Closer Look". Here's a performance with his trio:

User Info Menu

I may be a little prejudiced because Louis Stewart is Irish but I think a version recorded by him would be worth listening to. Unfortunately, while he record it twice, at least, I don't have either recording and can't find a link. He recorded it in 2007 with the Frank Harrison Trio on a very small label 'Desert Island Jazz'. He also recorded it in 1990 with another guitarist called Heiner Franz who I hadn't heard of before. It seems he was a German guitarist and luthier and made an archtop which he presented to Louis. Again, I can't find a link. Having found that out, I'll see about locating both and keep you posted.

User Info Menu

That Ron Eschete performance was solid. What a pretty intro.

User Info Menu