Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 36 of 36

User Info Menu

Learning it now for first time glad the thread has risen to the surface

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Just to second what everyone else has said. Nice easy tune, but that's the rub. Easy to noodle, easy to get lost, nowhere to hide, etc etc. b9s are good, altereds aren't so good.

It's basically a melodic tune. I also think it's wistful although it's generally played with a beat to it. Coltrane rushed through it, as is his wont, but Miles and Cannon Adderley stayed thoughtful.

User Info Menu

Incidentally, there's a transcription of that. Personally I wouldn't copy it but I would look at the notes/harmonies/phrasing he's using to get ideas. It might not be your thing, of course, but that's up to you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fasstrack
    When in doubt, play the melody---or USE it. The song will tell you what to play.

The song has French roots, not sure of the original title. But the bridge has the same changes as a song by another Frenchman: Legrand's You Must Believe in Spring. I've found myself quoting it, and---now that I think about it---pairing the 2 songs wouldn't be a bad idea, b/c of the seasonal theme and similar harmony.

Anyway, you answered your own question: when in doubt, simple, short, sweet---and out. And instead of being intimidated by the last solo, if it's killing, build YOURS off his/her last phrase. That's a conversation, and shows that you're listening and not merely in your own head or insecurity.

That last recommendation is an important one, I think. It's not only effective interplay, but proper etiquette. There's an alto player back in NY I ran into occasionally when we both sat in. He never waited for my solo to end, just jumped in and 'talked' over me. Played good, but do you think I'd ever hire someone like that?

'I listen for a living'----Bob Brookmeyer...
    The original title is "Les Feuilles Mortes" (the dead leaves). The English lyrics people usually sing are pretty far from a translation of the original (though they convey a similar sentiment of regret of lost love).

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Incidentally, there's a transcription of that. Personally I wouldn't copy it but I would look at the notes/harmonies/phrasing he's using to get ideas. It might not be your thing, of course, but that's up to you.

Miles plays nice, as he always did back then, but Cannonball's solo here is one of Jazz's stone cold absolute masterpieces. Not just the best solo ever played over AL, but maybe, just maybe, it might just be the...
    best Jazz solo ever? ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    The original title is "Les Feuilles Mortes" (the dead leaves). The English lyrics people usually sing are pretty far from a translation of the original (though they convey a similar sentiment of regret of lost love).

John
    Thanks.

The English title is less depressing, er, ne c'est pas?

User Info Menu

Thanks for reminding me of that inspired take on the tune. It's been a long time since I've listened to that. The solos each tell a story. Every note counts. No one is just blowing changes.
    The Chet Baker/Paul Desmond version posted earlier is also wonderful.
    Last edited by KirkP; 06-06-2017 at 06:16 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny
    I don't think there are any easy tunes.
    I'd go for that too

User Info Menu

pingu

Some of this might help, except I think you said you were doing it in Gm, so it might not be any good. Maybe for somebody, somewhere, one day...

User Info Menu

I like to use "Autumn Leaves" to teach 2 5 1 progressions to beginning Jazz students. It features the major and minor versions of the progression. It enables me to highlight the similarities and differences between the two. Instead of meandering aimlessly, the player could construct a solo using a variety of devices within the structure of those progressions.
    There is also a neat sequence of notes which outlines the structure.
    In E minor: C in bar 1, B in bar 3, A in bar 5, E in bar 7.
    Then in the bridge: F# in bar 17, G in bar 19, A in bar 21, B in bar 23, C in bar 25.
    This linear structure is great for building a solo around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

pingu

Some of this might help, except I think you said you were doing it in Gm, so it might not be any good. Maybe for somebody, somewhere, one day...

This was useful for me at least - thanks. I really like the format of the music being primary, with a secondary powerpoint commentary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk