The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 43 of 43

User Info Menu

Not one of Abercrombie's better-known 'hits' but I play it all the time:

Not one of Martino's better-known 'hits' but it's a flat-out burner to play:

Jobim's "If You Never Come To Me" is utter perfection. The melody goes up by half steps. The chords go down by half steps. Why didn't I think of this? That would be because I'm not Jobim!

@Mark Kleinhaut has composed many meaningful, memorable songs but this is my favorite:

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Mike Stern, Larry Coryell, Bill Frisell, Steve Kahn, Charlie Hunter, are just a handfull of many prolific jazz composers that play guitar, too many great songs to list.....

User Info Menu

"Jobim's "If You Never Come To Me" is utter perfection. The melody goes up by half steps. The chords go down by half steps. Why didn't I think of this? That would be because I'm not Jobim!"

I've been playing this forever.
    I turned our old tenor player onto it when he was about 70, he loved it too. He passed 10 yrs ago, rip Donald

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

West Coast Blues (Wes Montgomery)
    Bluesette (Toots Thielemans)
    Girl from Ipanema (Antonio Carlos Jobim)
    Zoot Alures (Frank Zappa)
    Better Days Ahead (Pat Metheney)
    Always And Forever (Pat Metheney)

User Info Menu

Many of the original Bossa Nova hits were written by guitarists, noting, of course, that Jobim also played piano.

Bim Bom by Joao Gilberto.
    Anything by Roberto Menescal, Joyce, and others.

Chico Pinheiro's Tempestade has been covered a lot.
    Guinga's Di Menor has been covered a lot, among his other tunes.

Toninho Horta and Dori Caymmi have written a lot of great tunes. Beijo Partido, Yarabella, Migration and others come to mind.
    Joao Bosco has a lot of tunes, Incompatabilidade De Genios comes to mind.

There are many more.

These are all great jazz tunes, worth checking out if you haven't been exposed to Brazilian Jazz.

User Info Menu

John McLaughlin (entire Extrapolation album)

John Stowell - "fun with fruit"

Wes - "Twisted Blues"

Grant - "Jean de Fleur", "Grant's Tune"

Django "Swing 39"

User Info Menu

Tiptoe through the Tulips

User Info Menu

No mention of Ralph Towner here. This thread should be purged from the record

User Info Menu

This song has been mentioned already. Herb Ellis composed it along with other members of The Soft Winds, the trio he was part of before joining Oscar Peterson and Ray Brown.

Here are are a few different versions of it.

User Info Menu

Ah Mr Rhodes you love that Pickly Wickly track, I remember banter about this a few years ago. It is my rock drummers favourite jazz tune.

So much fun to play and sounds awesome on a 175, must be in its sweet spot. When the tone as you move from the wound to the unwound really pops and then the nice mellow return to the wound strings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JCat
    West Coast Blues (Wes Montgomery)
    Bluesette (Toots Thielemans)
    Girl from Ipanema (Antonio Carlos Jobim)
    Zoot Alures (Frank Zappa)
    Better Days Ahead (Pat Metheney)
    Always And Forever (Pat Metheney)
    These are my favorite jazz tunes composed by a guitar player. My criteria is that the composition must not depend on guitar or vocals. These compositions have integrity and are "non-guitaristic", i.e it must be possible to perform the music without a guitar, even on solo piano.

Most material written by guitar players are found in other genres, like R&B, Rock, Country and Pop. And most instrumental guitar music won't hold its own without some characteristic guitar riffs, bends, slides and squeels etc impossible to reproduce on other instruments. (The Zappa tune included in my list is an interesting exception. Even though the guitarpart is hard to reproduce, "Zoot Alures" have actually been performed by traditional symphonic orchestras. It's Jazz in my book, even though I don't think of Frank Zappa as a Jazz player.) Guitar players in general tend to focus on crafting guitar sounds and showing off playing skills rather than focusing on elements of composition. In fairness, the traditional audience (mostly other guitar players) would usually be more interested in guitar sounds and playing technique than the actual composition.

Most pop songs that made it to the charts were written by a singer/song writer, strumming chords backing up vocals. The characteristic sound of the vocalist, the song technique and expression (including visual appearance), always got more attention than the actual composition. Most of those singer/song writers are hardly recognized as "guitar players" around here and most of those songs are not remembered for composition qualities (there are exceptions of course, Neil Rodgers comes to mind, but not Jazz, even though he's obviously firmly rooted in Jazz)

User Info Menu

This may have been mentioned before but I was in the mood for some Dickie Betts, so here's a chance to hear it.

User Info Menu

no Ralph yet

:-(

(no I'm not going to make any recommendations.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TH
    Silence of a candle Ralph Towner
    Somebody must have missed post #12.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Somebody must have missed post #12.....
    That never happened. Stop gaslighting me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    That never happened. Stop gaslighting me.
    Post #12 has this:

Silence of a candle Ralph Towner

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    post #12 has this:

silence of a candle ralph towner
    lies!!!!