The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

I like this tune and am working on it.
    Tim Lerch did a video on playing it with a walking bass line, which I like. He plays it in F, though G is the more common key.

Here's a link to the page on the song at jazzstandards.com (<<<<A great site about tunes in the Great American Songbook).
    Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals (Sweet Lorraine)

The standard changes can be found here. It's A Dance Chord Chart - Free Jazz Real Book

Finally, here's a version by Nat "King" Cole, who recorded it a few times and performed it many more.
    This one has Herb Ellis on guitar.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm not fit to be on the same page as Tim or Herb, but here I am playing the old Mel Bay arrangement from Masters of the Plectrum Guitar. I think it's a good arrangement.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    I'm not fit to be on the same page as Tim or Herb, but here I am playing the old Mel Bay arrangement from Masters of the Plectrum Guitar. I think it's a good arrangement.
    I agree, Rob. That's a nice arrangement. Nice playing too. I have a ways to go...

User Info Menu

The Joe Pass version from "Virtuoso"

User Info Menu

And here's the Oscar Peterson Trio with Herb Ellis on guitar.

User Info Menu

While G may be more common, (possibly for the benefit of singers) the original key of F is, I think, better for chord melody on guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by monk
    While G may be more common, (possibly for the benefit of singers) the original key of F is, I think, better for chord melody on guitar.
    No argument there, though all the fakebook charts I have seen (-which are not aimed primarily at guitar players OR singers) have the tune in G.

I'm using F because I like the way it lays out on guitar. (Curiously, a lot of guitar players choose G----for other tunes---for just that reason. I bet some horn players have gone their entire careers without playing a blues in G, but most guitarists are right at home there!)

One of the handy things about the real book site is that it gives the 'default' key for each tune, but you can choose another one and it will transpose it for you. Makes for neat, quick charts....

User Info Menu

Vocalist Rudy Vallee recorded it in 1928 as did Jimmy Noone who did an instrumental version. The tune was written that year, and I did read that the original key is F as mentioned by Monk. I have however the sheet music from 1928, with a picture of Rudy Vallee on it, and the key is G so it may explain why G is more common. Another singer, Johnny Johnson also recorded a version in the key of G in 1928. I can't remember for sure, but I think that Noone's instrumental version was also in G.

User Info Menu

Great song - one of my favourites

I like this version too)))

User Info Menu

Nice playing all around on these versions of, "Sweet Lorraine." Joe Pass uses "G", by the way and a full transcription of his "Virtuoso" version can be found in "Virtuoso Standards" by Roland Leone who has done a masterful service in transcribing many of Joe's standards and blues numbers. At 1:18 of the recording, does anyone else feel that Joe pulled off a clever escape after painting himself into a corner ? Magic, nevertheless !

User Info Menu

For those of you who are daring and adventurous, here is a write-up of Ted Greene's arrangement of "Sweet Lorraine."
    It also includes the lead sheet (melody and changes) on a parallel line with the arrangement notation.
    Enjoy!
    http://www.tedgreene.com/images/less...NotesGrids.pdf

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jayv999
    For those of you who are daring and adventurous, here is a write-up of Ted Greene's arrangement of "Sweet Lorraine."
    It also includes the lead sheet (melody and changes) on a parallel line with the arrangement notation.
    Enjoy!
    http://www.tedgreene.com/images/less...NotesGrids.pdf
    Thanks. I downloaded it and will get to it...eventually.

I love the way this version is laid out---Ted's charts can be hard to follow. (Well, their simple as pie, but it's easy to lose one's place because there are no bar lines.)

User Info Menu

This is an old topic I know, but I just started working on this tune and wondered if anyone wound up with a chord melody tab of Sweet Lorraine they would be willing to share ? Thanks

User Info Menu

You could try KirkP, he played a nice CM arrangement in C.

November 2018 - Sweet Lorraine

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    You could try KirkP, he played a nice CM arrangement in C.
    November 2018 - Sweet Lorraine
    Gee, shucks. :Blushing: Here’s a chord chart I made for my humble arrangement in C. I never use tabs.
    Sweet Lorraine-img_1138-jpg

P.S.—Note that my chord chart leaves out some stuff that comes between the chords. Some people might have written the chart as four chords per measure, but I prefer to first learn the tune as a simple one chord per measure arrangement, then add chromatic approaches, etc. on the fly. That gives me more flexibility in varying my interpretation of the tune each time I play it.
    Last edited by KirkP; 05-06-2019 at 04:37 PM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Dang text program won't let me line up the lyrics with the chords. You'll figure it out

I play it a la Nat Cole in this vid, key of G, shouldn't be too hard to follow. I don't do youtube vids but I'll do the best I can.

Intro:

F7b5 E9 | Eb 9/b13 D13 | F7b5 E9 | Eb9/b13 D13
    --------------------------------------------------------Now I

|Gmaj7 F7b5 E9 E9 | Am7 Am7 D9 D7b9 | Em7 Em7 Dm7 G7 | C7 C7 B7 B7 |
    |just found joy - ----| I'm as hap-py as a |baby boy -------------| with a - nother brand new |

|E9 E9 Bbm7 Eb9 | Am7 Am7 D9 D7b9 | Gmaj7 Gmaj7 E9 E9 | Am7 Am7 D9 D7b9 |
    |choo - choo toy - | when I met my Sweet Lor -| raine Lorraine Lorraine |

|She's got a pair of eyes | that are brighter than the | summer skies - | when you see them you'll |

|E9 E9 Bbm7 Eb9 | Am7 Am7 D9 D7b9 | Gmaj7 Gmaj7 F9 F9 | Gmaj7 Gmaj7 Dm7 G7 |
    |Realize | why I love my Sweet Lor- | raine Now |

(Bridge)
    |C7 C7 Bm7b5 E7b9 | Am7 Am7 Gm7 C9 | F9 F9 E9 E9 | Am7 Am7 Gm7 C9 |
    |when it's rainin' I don't | miss the sun - | because it's in my baby's | smile -- |

|F9 F9 E9 E9 | Eb9 Eb9 D9 D9 | F9 F9 E9 E9 | Eb9 Eb9 D9 D7b9 |
    |and to think that I'm the | lucky one -- | that will lead her down the | aisle -- |

|
    each night I pray | that no one will steal her| heart away | I can't wait until that|

|E9 E9 Bbm7 Eb9 | Am7 Am7 D9 D7b9 | Gmaj7 Gmaj7 C7 Dbdim | Am7 Abm7 Gmaj7 Gmaj7 |
    |Abck day | when I marry Sweet Lor- |raine
    Last edited by Uncle Vinnie; 05-13-2019 at 11:40 PM.

User Info Menu

Recently trying to learn this classic, too!

I enjoy hearing this guitar & vocal cover it...

Plus, found this early recording from Nat King Cole trio...Oscar Moore sounds like he's still developing his chops and before he plays an amped archtop, but it's still a neat audio document.