The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32

User Info Menu

Jonzo, can you explain the following terms from your list? Or link to somewhere with definitions (of these and maybe more)?

I may be able to guess one or two (and I probably know the things they're referring to), but I've not heard any of these terms before and I'd like to be sure:
    IV n Back brick
    Dropping back / Drop back
    Bootstrap
    IV ’n’ Yak brick
    B&S cadence approach
    Dogleg
    Chromatic Dropback
    Donna Lee Opening brick
    Slow Launcher
    On-Off
    TTFA
    Somewhere and To IV n Yak.
    Backslider
    New Horizon
    Bird SPOT
    On-Off (nowhere)-On
    Rainy cadence
    Sideslips
    Two Goes
    Yardbird substitution.
    Pennies Ending
    Extended cadence
    Overrun
    Nowhere
    Starlight Cadence
    Night and Day Cadence.
    Sideslip concept

Are "Bootstrap" and "Bauble" tunes, or more of these terms? (or both?)
    Last edited by JonR; 06-02-2013 at 02:22 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

JonR, you should look here for an explanation of the terms that John Elliott coined for his work:
    Dropback Method

Maybe that's just a brief overview and more details come in a complete package you should pay for.

User Info Menu

Jon,
    Your list is as far as I can see mostly "bricks" and "joins" in Conrad Cork/John Elliott's system for remembering (and playing) tunes. The best overview I've seen (apart from the books) is: http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~keller/jazz/i...7.htm#Glossary

Bootstrap and Bauble is form of joins in Conrad Cork/John Elliott's system. I'd say the represent modulations from one key to another. A good overview is given here: http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~keller/jazz/i....htm#JoinNames

Example of bricks are the obvious ii-V-I that is called Straight Cadence. An example of joins New Horizon where you say have a progression like Dm-G7-C-C-Cm7-F7-Bb. The modulation here is whats called a New Horizon.

G
    Last edited by gersdal; 06-02-2013 at 02:48 PM.

User Info Menu

John Elliott is mostly into functional tunes, so I guess to complete the list you should add a few non-functional tunes like a modal tune (so what!) and a modern tunes like 500 miles high.

User Info Menu

You're welcome.

You might really like Elliott's book. It breaks typical "Real Book" tunes down into common patterns. Part of it is a tune book that, in addition to the chord changes, identifies the patterns. The mnemonics generally correspond to tunes that the pattern is used in. There are plenty of reasons to dislike his naming choices--but that is the nature of this type of system. The best mnemonics will always be the ones you invent yourself, but using Elliott's could give you a common language with others who use the system.

The other part of the book contains an analysis of the frequency with which some of the patterns occur in the tunes. So, for example, with just X number of patterns you can play Y number of tunes. Following his frequency progression would give you the most bang for the buck, but it might be a while before you get to, say, minor progressions.

It sounds like you want something like the Manhattan School of Music list for beginner/intermediate. Elliott's book would help you identify likely suspects. However, if you are trying to identify tunes that use a variety of modes, you would need to look elsewhere. I suspect that some intermediate jazz method books would have a variety of useful tunes, but I don't know which ones. You could check out the tunes in some of the Aebersold collections. There is probably a "moving on up" collection somewhere.

Sometimes jumping in and learning a hard tune can create a lot of improvement. My son made a lot of progress when he worked on a difficult classical piece for about a year, with his teacher fine tuning his playing in each section. But he was working on easier tunes too. Some people have the patience to work on a hard tune for a long time, others find it a drag. Take your emotions into account. A difficult tune can be a fun challenge if you love it, a trudge if you don't.

I think you can find Elliot, and PM him from this site.

You can also download the Impro-Visor program. It's free. In addition to being a quick and dirty band in a box substitute, it will analyze tunes and identify the "bricks" as defined by Elliott.

If you have an IReal Book, you can download a lot of exercises that correspond to Elliott's system.
    Last edited by Jonzo; 06-02-2013 at 03:57 PM.

User Info Menu

Nuages

although i love Coltrane, i say definitely not Giant Steps as it’s too hard for most beginner to intermediate players, not particularly musical, sounds like an exercise in chasing remote chord changes, and really noone wants hear it in the real world except for other musicians who will just criticize your performance of it. if you slow it down and play it latin style then maybe, but thats a big maybe. Stay with the easier Coltrane tunes like Impressions or Blue Trane.

ill contribute my list later, gracias. jt

User Info Menu

Rhythm Changes
    Blues (in several keys, esp F and Bb)
    It Could Happen To You
    Green Dolphin Street
    Blue Bossa
    Sweet Georgia Brown
    All The Things You Are
    Autumn Leaves
    Impressions (or So What, but Impressions is the better melody)
    Stella by Starlight