The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 82 of 82

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    When I started this thread,by “recent popular hits” I was thinking of today’s hits, not stuff from 30 or more years ago. Billboard lists today’s top pop tunes and lets you listen to samples.
    Pop Music: Top Pop Songs Chart | Billboard
    After a couple of dozen samples I realized it’s hopeless. I’m sure a lot of great new tunes out there, but they don’t seem to make the hit lists.

If this is the case, the answer is tremendously simple. Just stick with the top 20 songs from each week and you'll be absolutely in the sweet spot. What I've seen some guitarists do is take say an eminem song and literally make a close melody out of the spoken lyric. My Name Is would be a great start. And then you have spoken word guys like Drake who actually melody a rapped lyric. Talk about a crowd pleaser built right into your jazzified song.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by West LA Jazz
    If this is the case, the answer is tremendously simple. Just stick with the top 20 songs from each week and you'll be absolutely in the sweet spot. What I've seen some guitarists do is take say an eminem song and literally make a close melody out of the spoken lyric. My Name Is would be a great start. And then you have spoken word guys like Drake who actually melody a rapped lyric. Talk about a crowd pleaser built right into your jazzified song.
    PS:

Mono Neon the millennial bass player does this quite a bit in different situations. His range from one extreme to the crazy end of the spectrum.

Extrapolate to Billboard 100 hits.

+Maroon 5 is a can't miss band to choose from+

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I'm sure a better player than me could make good jazz out of something like these

User Info Menu

The problem with jazzifying recent hits is that you actually have to listen to the original songs. That's the hard part.

Ahem.

Adele, Florence and the Machine, Sam Smith, Ed Sheeran and Bruno Mars come to mind as fairly melodic stuff that might work. But to be honest there's just not too much Top 100 music I listen to today or think is worth a R$*#$ compared to music from 20, 30, 50 or even 70 years ago.

I mean, why jazzify Uptown Funk when you can play a version of Night Train? Or Thank Ya Falettin Me Be Myself Again? Or The World Is a Ghetto?

User Info Menu

Some folks got an ear for a potential jazz cover, and some don't.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Some folks got an ear for a potential jazz cover, and some don't.
    I have a hard time recognizing much of the original tune in what they played, but I like it.