The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 82

User Info Menu

Vladan, I have to disagree. There's still a big demand for 4-to-the-floor dance music. People want to hear something new but there's still that TR808 909 thing happening.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The Roots are one of the most consistently interesting, forward looking, and entertaining hip hop groups of the last 20 years.

Gotta get out from under that rock, Steve

User Info Menu

There is ALWAYS great music being made, you just have to know where to find it.

User Info Menu

Whatever we decide to do, let's not be musical carpetbaggers. That's not a good thing. I believe music technology reached a saturation point a few years ago and we're all just trying to make sense of things.

My original post challenged forum members to list any very recent pop hits that have great melody and harmony. The thread somehow turned into a discussion of how to create loops to dance to.

User Info Menu

To get back on track, I have tunes by adele, Jill scott, erykah badu, maxwell, and Wilco in my set. They're rarely recognized though, so maybe my definition of pop music is a little wobbly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KIRKP
    Here's a challenge. Can you suggest any recent popular hit songs that are interesting enough from a musical perspective to be worth playing in a jazz context?

Most recent pop hits seem to be musically uninteresting. Both melody and harmony seem to consist of a short sequence of notes and chords repeated endlessly. There's often not much of a form -- i.e., if there's a bridge it's often just a slight variation with no change in key or much else to make it interesting.

I'd like to know if there are any exceptions -- musically interesting compositions that were hits in the past 5 years or so. If there are, I might take a crack at "jazzifying" some of them to amaze my kids.
    I can't think of anything. I was pondering this a while back too. The closest I could get would be Cee Lo's 'Crazy'. Not particularly interesting to anyone except for me.
    Last edited by Stevebol; 04-14-2014 at 01:02 PM.

User Info Menu

I'm not sure what would satisfy the criteria of "musically interesting" enough to base a jazz tune on. Does it have to be as harmonically complicated as So What? Or as melodically complicated as Four? Does the form have to be as innovative as a jazz blues tune or Oleo?

If that's all it takes, then there are tons of pop tunes that would make great candidates.

User Info Menu

I've come across a band called the Jazzifiers (not sure how I feel about this actually lol):

YouTube search for "The Jazzifiers" will yield some of their other work. Seems more smoothy/ crooning jazz, which is cool if you like that sound. I'd like to hear some straight ahead combo stuff though.

Peace, JR

User Info Menu

Maybe slightly unrelated to the actual on point topic, but I notice there is a lot of sampling of jazz guitar in hip hop music. I may start another thread on this subject (sampling of jazz guitar music in hip hop and other genres).

Anyway, here is some information I've been compiling. This is kind of going the other way than the original poster's topic. Instead of "jazzifying a pop song", these songs take jazz songs, chop it up, and make it the basis of the song. I think it's actually a good way for people to be exposed to more creative applications of jazz guitar music. As a hip hop aficionado, I love this kind of sound, even though the samples do get very repetitive after 3.5 seconds, lol. If anything, they make super nice/funky backing tracks that you can practice static grooves over. (Another potential thread I might start).

At the end of this post there is a link to a nice website where you can find out which artists sampled other artists.

J Dilla "Let's Ride" (samples Joe Pass' Giant Steps)

"Joe Pass Giant Steps"

Sample is at 2:56 to 3:06

Barney Kessel The Look of Love

Sample is at 0:27

You can search which artists sampled jazz guitarists (or any guitarist) at a website called Listen to Music Samples, Cover Songs and Remixes | WhoSampled

Apologies if this is slightly off topic.

Peace,

JR

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by janepaints

but were i younger, had more funds, you bet i'd be keen on the stuff people are using now...

urg
    Keep an eye on Craigslist. I do. Every once in a while there are serious gems that come up… in the “FREE” section. But then again, I’m a gear and guitar junkie.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    I can't think of anything. I was pondering this a while back too. The closest I could get would be Cee Lo's 'Crazy'. Not particularly interesting to anyone except for me.
    I love Crazy by C-Lo. This is a song where I would have to play/record the melody on a separate track and then remove the original harmony and start from scratch messing with chords that work or sound good with the melody. If I keep the original backing track/chords I might be tempted to hear it the original way. It’s such an “urgent” song.

Quote Originally Posted by ColinO
    I'm not sure what would satisfy the criteria of "musically interesting" enough to base a jazz tune on. Does it have to be as harmonically complicated as So What? Or as melodically complicated as Four? Does the form have to be as innovative as a jazz blues tune or Oleo?

If that's all it takes, then there are tons of pop tunes that would make great candidates.
    I absolutely agree with your last sentence! 100%. When you strip away the backing harmony and only listen to the melodies of tons of pop songs, you have the material there to get creative with a new underlying harmony.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    To get back on track, I have tunes by adele, Jill scott, erykah badu, maxwell, and Wilco in my set. They're rarely recognized though, so maybe my definition of pop music is a little wobbly.
    All the above. Great! If I had to choose…
    Adele – almost any song from her last albums works. I haven’t lived with the new one yet. But I will.
    Jill scott – “A Long Walk” (this song kills me every time)
    erykah badu – “Tyrone”
    Maxwell – “Sumthin Sumthin”
    Wilco – “Misunderstood”, “I’m trying to break your heart” and “At least that’s what you said (…both sped up)
    And “Spiders” but I’m not sure I would be satisfied with the end result.

User Info Menu

"I love Crazy by C-Lo. This is a song where I would have to play/record the melody on a separate track and then remove the original harmony and start from scratch messing with chords that work or sound good with the melody. If I keep the original backing track/chords I might be tempted to hear it the original way. It’s such an “urgent” song."

It was a terrible midi file except for the melody. Had to get rid of everything. Wrote a simple keyboard part and a little guitar part. copied the bass and drums to some extent. Had to change the strings a lot.

That's why midi's are fun, they're all over the place. You never know what you're getting.

It's 8 years old so it doesn't fit the bill...

Next
    Last edited by Stevebol; 04-14-2014 at 07:00 PM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

It started out as a joke, mocking my sister`s friend, but I ended up with a pretty decent cover of Ariana Grandes Break Free in a jazz context. If you play the melody as an instrumental it swings good and would pass as a tune to blow over. I`ll upload a quick recording in the next couple days

Quote Originally Posted by jasaco
    Give it up and play what you like. Your kids will reject you anyway for "trying" to be cool... that's even worse than not being cool. I'm just sayin'...
    You sound like you really know a lot about guitar...Could you maybe check out my Youtube Channel "Sixstringsurfer121"? I have been struggling with guitar recently and I hope you could give me some advice because I'm looking for people to help build my skills up. Rock on brother...🎸🎤

User Info Menu

This reminds me of Richard Thompson's cover of Brittany Spears' "Oops I Did It Again" in 2010,

from his 1000 Years Of Popular Music. I always like it when a seasoned artist can take a banal tune and make it more respectful.

User Info Menu

Worth reviving this thread for 2018?

User Info Menu

I liked this version of Bruno Mar's UPTOWN FUNK so much that I actually supported them by buying the sheet music and instrumental stems/mixes of this performance. (They are Nashville session musicians btw).

On an aside it provokes thought about what will happen to today's pop and rock in another 50 years.
    I posted on a separate thread called "Is Rock Becoming The New Jazz?". The title is deceptive but you'll understand when you watch the video by my favorite internet music teacher - Rick Beato.

User Info Menu

Yes I watched that. I actually think Beato is behind the times for once.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Worth reviving this thread for 2018?
    ..." So far, no, but hey, it's only September. "

User Info Menu

I'd say, technically, that anything can be jazzed, certainly pop tunes. Take your pick.

User Info Menu

You can already go to university and study rock guitar for instance.

User Info Menu

Look at what Benson did with The Other Side of Abbey Road.

Not new but: Seal - Kiss From A Rose, Journey - Who's Cryin' Now,

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Naquat
    Look at what Benson did with The Other Side of Abbey Road.

Not new but: Seal - Kiss From A Rose, Journey - Who's Cryin' Now,

Where have I been? I had never heard of The Other Side of Abbey Road.
    Talk about crawling from under a rock!

When I started this thread,by “recent popular hits” I was thinking of today’s hits, not stuff from 30 or more years ago. Billboard lists today’s top pop tunes and lets you listen to samples.
    Pop Music: Top Pop Songs Chart | Billboard
    After a couple of dozen samples I realized it’s hopeless. I’m sure a lot of great new tunes out there, but they don’t seem to make the hit lists.