The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 28 of 28

User Info Menu

I'd suggest Autumn Leaves. A great standard. You can change tempo, e.g., start as a ballad, then swing it.
    I don't know about the drums as accompaniment. I've seen it done, and it was just ok. A good bass guitarist could fill the voids without being intrusive and provide some interesting harmony.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

I'm really not sure how I feel about doing this for the audition piece after all of the opposing input ive had about it. My first thought was It's a fun tune, plain and simple, maybe a bit over played, but I need to play a standard so it's all gonna be overplayed. Everyone seems to have there 2 cents leaves in the audition. It does provide a great basic template that leaves a lot of room for reharming, and as you said it can swing or get soft.

The drum thing starting off as an idea. I initially was going to just play solo and then realized the faculty guitarist is gonna be getting in there too. As my jazz friends are lacking in the bass and piano department I was thinking maybe some drums would tie it all up nicely

Thanks for the advice though, that's exactly what I was looking for from everyone!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    The checkbook was more important to them than the music.
    HAR HAR HAR OH THE WIT

how you slay me good sir