The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Ive really been diggin recording of this tune by miles, and shorter. Looks to be pretty tough song to solo over chord wise.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I used to play this. Yes it's a challenge. The Real Book changes are wrong.

I played it in one of my college ensembles years ago. Tough tune. Here are a couple of versions w/ guitar which might give you some ideas from saxophonist Adam Niewood. Nir Felder soloing on the first two, Jesse Lewis on the last but doesn't solo. Some burning stuff.

http://www.niewood.com/Louis649_Pinocchio.mp3

http://www.niewood.com/51807_Pinocchio.mp3

http://www.niewood.com/32107_Pinocchio.mp3

There are a bunch of versions sprinkled throughout with other guitar players.

NIEWOOD.COM
    Last edited by Jeff Stocks; 02-23-2013 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    I used to play this. Yes it's a challenge. The Real Book changes are wrong.

Cool, thanks for the links, so what are the right changes???. In my irealb app they are different

User Info Menu

The iRealB is probably right, although they're different than what I played. I'll have to dig it up somewhere and scan it.

Thanks does this look right? from the irealB

A- 6/9 // D#-9 G-6/9 //D#-9

G#ma7#5 //// C#-maj7 ////

C#-6 Amaj7 F-maj7 A-6/9 ////

G9sus Bb9sus F7#9#5 C13

C-maj7

Eb minor ?

i had my Irealb set to a A minor different key when i wrote those down
    Last edited by jazzgtrl4; 02-25-2013 at 07:15 PM.

Great thanks Henry! great playing too on your website

User Info Menu

You're welcome! And thank you!

User Info Menu

Henry, I deleted the chart you posted of Wayne Shorter's "Pinocchio." My understanding is that such postings violate copyright laws. (Chord progressions are not subject to copyright but melodies are and you posted the melody.)

Perhaps it is time for a thread on what can and cannot be (legally) posted. The subject is of interest to many. I don't pretend to be well versed in copyright law. (Hmmm, perhaps I should do a search first and see if such a thread already exists...)

User Info Menu

How is this different than what goes on in the practical standards threads? Because those are hosted offsite?

User Info Menu

Well it IS a copyright violation, but it's no different whatsoever from people posting youtube music of some composition that isn't their own, or tunes like Come Rain Or Come Shine, etc.. EXACTLY the same. I figure if those are ok here, why not? But there you go. What's wrong is wrong. I should then protest ANY music being posted or distributed here, be it sheet music or youtube. Those are ALL copyright violations.

Well, im glad i grabbed it when i did. the copyright thing does sound like BS to me...thanks again for the effort Henry.

User Info Menu

youtube, wikifonia, others, have blanket deals with performing rights organizations.

yes, there are sound recordings linked on this site which are themselves in violation of the law, but merely linking them here does not put this site in violation.

posting copyrighted sheet music here most certainly DOES put this site in violation. while it is true that there are many complications and a few gray areas in intellectual property law, this is not one of them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    Well it IS a copyright violation, but it's no different whatsoever from people posting youtube music of some composition that isn't their own, or tunes like Come Rain Or Come Shine, etc.. EXACTLY the same. I figure if those are ok here, why not? But there you go. What's wrong is wrong. I should then protest ANY music being posted or distributed here, be it sheet music or youtube. Those are ALL copyright violations.
    You feel strongly about this. I think a 'sticky' about what does and does not violate copyright is in order. We're all musicians and don't want to violate the rights of other musicians. However, I'm not well versed in copyright law. The forum would benefit greatly from whatever expertise in this area various members have. Speak up!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    How is this different than what goes on in the practical standards threads? Because those are hosted offsite?
    That would be my guess. I hope those members with expertise in this area (-or access to intelligible-to-layfolk expertise) chime in.

User Info Menu

There have been threads on this subject in the past; what violates copyright and what does not. I recall one where an attorney/member chimed in and gave the low down. I don't remember who; but if he sees it perhaps he'll chime in. These threads were more along the lines of what you can play in clubs.

Unfortunately, since someone has stolen all the sheet music I've written and have been trying to peddle at flea markets, I won't be able to pay him a retainer to do so.

User Info Menu

Wayne's most recent stuff, such as Alegria and Beyond the Sound Barrier, is not available on youtube, so he seems to enforce his copyrights more tightly than some others. I just noticed that he has a new 2013 album drawn from live concerts at the end of 2011. Without a Net is the name.