The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Hi there, Id like to dig into proper blues, from the 50s to the 90s, Id like to know which are for u the top 5 must know blues tunes and specially some really good live versions, I enjoy a lot playing over live videos on youtube, I really appreciate the swing feel those musicians have when they play live, I think its a great school to play over then rather than backing tracks

Id recommend a classic 'Rock me baby', simple, really nice live versions out there with different guitarist and awesome groove-swing feels, sometimes faster, sometimes slower.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Haha. Jimmy Vaughn at 3:04. That's how it's done.

User Info Menu

The Allman Brothers at Fillmore East---Stormy Monday, Statesboro Blues, Must've Done Somebody Wrong, the list goes on...

Hey Mark thanks m8, I love that concert, I just watch it complete right now for the first time and I have to say its a proper blues rock lesson.
    I like blues progressions with some little changes like II V i or similar, like this example
    A7 / D7 / A7 / Em7 - A7
    D7 / D#dim / A7 - Ab7 / G7 - Gb7
    Bm7 / E7 / A7 - F#7 / Bm7 - E7#5

I know some people call that brit blues, and would be great some minor blues tunes as well like this one

but Im looking for proper blues or swing blues rather than rock, Ive been playing rock all my life LOL
    Last edited by Mike Licks; 02-12-2013 at 12:18 AM.

User Info Menu

Freddie King
    Hideaway
    The Stumble
    San Ho Zay
    Albert Collins
    Frosty
    Gatemouth Brown or Cornell Dupree
    Okie Dokie Stomp
    Bill Doggett
    Honky Tonk Part 1 & 2
    T-Bone Walker
    T-Bone Shuffle
    Guitar Slim
    The Things That I Used To Do
    Bill Jennings
    Big Boy
    Last edited by monk; 02-12-2013 at 12:49 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by monk
    Freddie King
    Hideaway
    The Stumble
    San Ho Zay
    Albert Collins
    Frosty
    Gatemouth Brown or Cornell Dupree
    Okie Dokie Stomp
    Bill Doggett
    Honky Tonk Part 1 & 2
    T-Bone Walker
    T-Bone Shuffle
    Guitar Slim
    The Things That I Used To Do
    Bill Jennings
    Big Boy
    Great list. Some Louis Jordan is worth checking out--who doesn't love jump blues? "Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens," "Saturday Night Fish Fry," "Five Guys Named Moe"....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Licks

but Im looking for proper blues or swing blues rather than rock, Ive been playing rock all my life LOL
    I'm not sure what you mean by "proper". The earliest blues didn't have chord changes That came later with the invention of the 12 bar progression.

The chord progression you wrote out looks like a swing blues progression, before bebop and tritone subs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kofblz
    I'm not sure what you mean by "proper". The earliest blues didn't have chord changes That came later with the invention of the 12 bar progression.

The chord progression you wrote out looks like a swing blues progression, before bebop and tritone subs.
    Your historical perspective of the blues is somewhat skewed.

Blues had been a popular urban style of music predominantly performed by female singers with bands, touring and making records for nearly a generation before Charlie Patton, Son House and Robert Johnson ever made a recording.

W.C. Handy's initial inspiration came from a guitarist that he heard playing "three four-bar stanzas". Jelly Roll Morton also said that the music played by bands and pianists in New Orleans in the early part of the 20th Century was rags and blues.

Read Elijah Wald's Escaping The Delta. It's one of the best researched books on the blues in recent decades and goes a long way toward debunking the romanticized mythologies that were concocted by record company marketing departments for album liner notes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kofblz

This is mostly true.

The stuff the evil record companies fed us early on was good music, but not blues so much. Robert Johnson was a guitar wiz who could play just about anything. He preferred the pop music that was on the radio at the time. Leadbelly loved folk music. Lots of 3/4 time. He was also a wiz who could play many kinds of music.

It's tough to get a handle on blues before recording became common practice. Chess Records later on had a great lineup of musicians and some had a strong connection to earlier music.

When Bonnie Raitt was looking for a guitar teacher I'm sure she considered everyone. She found Fred McDowell.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by monk
    Your historical perspective of the blues is somewhat skewed.

Blues had been a popular urban style of music predominantly performed by female singers with bands, touring and making records for nearly a generation before Charlie Patton, Son House and Robert Johnson ever made a recording.

W.C. Handy's initial inspiration came from a guitarist that he heard playing "three four-bar stanzas". Jelly Roll Morton also said that the music played by bands and pianists in New Orleans in the early part of the 20th Century was rags and blues.

Read Elijah Wald's Escaping The Delta. It's one of the best researched books on the blues in recent decades and goes a long way toward debunking the romanticized mythologies that were concocted by record company marketing departments for album liner notes.
    Very interesting. I'm on the way to the library. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    ... Some Louis Jordan is worth checking out--who doesn't love jump blues? ...
    +1, both for Louis Jordan and jump blues. How about Eddie "Cleanhead" Vinson and Champion Jack Dupree?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Licks
    I really appreciate the swing feel those musicians have
    It's called a shuffle, not swing, that's a whole 'nuther groove.

User Info Menu

Straight-ahead blues is a whole world unto itself, well worth studying. I was pretty saturated in the stuff in my late teens and early twenties. Very difficult to narrow down to just 5 essential tunes. Monk provided an excellent list of tunes to check out there, and I also second his endorsement of that Elijah Wald book. And another + on Mark Rhodes mention of Louis Jordan.

I could add a lot to the stuff already mentioned, but I'll try to limit it. I highly recommend checking out the sidemen type guitar players, guys like Hubert Sumlin with Howlin' Wolf, Robert Lockwood Jr. and some of the other guys who backed up Little Walter and Sonny Boy Williamson. Playing with a blues harp player is a really important part of the vocabulary. All the little riffs, grooves and fills these guys created are a wealth of stuff. Eddie Taylor was another great player-played with Jimmy Reed and with his own bands. And theres the so-called "west side school", guys like Otis Rush and Magic Sam. Just amazing playing and singing. And then there's the great slide players like Elmore James. Jeez, I could drone on all day about this stuff.

Blues guitar playing is at least as much (probably more) about groove and the big picture as it is about flashy solos. Many of the greatest blues guitar players were also great singers-probably no coincidence. I believe for them there wasn't much separation between their playing and their singing.

To get back to the OP, if it's classic tunes, maybe focus on Howlin' Wolf and Muddy Waters. In addition to being two absolute titans and pioneers of the music, much of their fifities repertoire was put together by Willie Dixon, a great writer and behind the scenes guy (as well as a fine bassist and adequate singer)-if you were to get the Chess box sets of both of these guys, you'd have a great blues repertoire starter kit right there, with a nice variety of grooves. Jimmy Reed is another great source of classic tunes.

Okay, I better stop before I get out of hand here.

Matt

Thanks guys, really good songs to study! love them!

User Info Menu

I like Rock Me Baby especially Jeff Beck playing with B.B. King
    Also Hideaway is a favorite, Eric Clapton with John Mayall.
    John Mayall did a lot of great blues with different guitartists.
    Also like Emily Remler Blues in A, Blues for Herb

User Info Menu

This is from the 50th anniversary Strat concert in England. Never really loved this song, so when this guy came on stage I thought "oh great, Red House again, and another SRV clone, and an old one at that!" (although he's about my age). But his intensity and rip-your-face-off tone won me over. This guy can crank out the blues. Gary Moore. Listen to that sweet tone he's getting about 5 minutes in.

This is just one style, of course, but it's a style that got another generation listening to the blues. SRV brought a lot of new fans into the fold.

edit: I added the T-Bone video to my previous post. check it out. Albert Collins has a razor-sharp tele tone. The guy's playing just slays me! That's Albert and Robert Cray trading off vocals. I just noticed for the 1st time that Robert threw in some Rock Me Baby lyrics. Showdown has always been one of my favorite blues CDs.
    Last edited by kingbiscuit; 04-27-2013 at 01:37 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol

When Bonnie Raitt was looking for a guitar teacher I'm sure she considered everyone. She found Fred McDowell.
    that is a wicked example of his playing (and singing!). just haunting. he's the inspiration for most of my slide playing. I got me a big ol' national resonator after hearing his (and wife's) Amazing Grace album. A little off-topic, but I urge anyone interested in some real country/blues gospel to check that one out. Amazon.com: Amazing Grace: Mississippi Delta Spirituals By The Hunter's Chapel Singers Of Como, Miss.: Fred McDowell, Fred McDowell: Music
    Last edited by kingbiscuit; 04-27-2013 at 04:39 PM.