The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Hi all,

I am trying to find recordings of guitar improv on the tune Mercy, Mercy, Mercy. So far I've only found stuff on YouTube, including an incredible recording by Richard Smith. I'd like however to find something that I can download. So far not much luck, so I thought I'd check here on the forum.

All the best, and thx for any info.

Sharon

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi
    It"s on the Lenny Breau album
    Amazon.com: The Velvet Touch of Lenny Breau: Lenny Breau: Music

PM me if you can't find it

Wow, that looks great, but did you check out the price? Would love to hear it though! Can't even imagine what Lenny would do with this tune. I'll have to do a YouTube search to see if anyone ever posted it.

So cool! Found it right away on YouTube. Can't post the link right now, because I'm using my phone for the forum. Will post later when I get my computer out.

Thx!

User Info Menu

Cool!
    There are a few programs available to convert youtube vids to mp3 if you want to save them. This is one I've used
    YouTube to MP3 Converter - Video2mp3

I'll check that out. Thx Mike!

User Info Menu

I'm sure there are a few versions out there with Nat Adderley playing cornet on the tune. Cornet/trumpet playing translates very nicely onto the guitar so it would be worth checking out. I've never transcribed any of Nat's playing, but the stuff I've heard has always been melodic and swinging.

Hey coolvinny

Thx for the tip!

All the best,

Sharon
    Last edited by srlank; 08-30-2012 at 10:55 PM.

What the heck did the spell thing do on your name? Oh well, I fixed it. That was very weird. Apologies.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by srlank
    What the heck did the spell thing do on your name? Oh well, I fixed it. That was very weird. Apologies.
    I've been called chicken legs before, but never a bunny!

Well at least it was a cool bunny!

Mercy, Mercy, Mercy!

User Info Menu

Jaco played this song a lot, because he had spent so many years playing with Joe Zawinul. There is a trio cut of this tune from Jaco Pastorius Live in NYC Vol 4, with the late Hiram Bullock kicking it on guitar.

That tune has a bassline that sounds awesome on tuba.
    Last edited by cosmic gumbo; 08-31-2012 at 03:42 AM.

Thx Mr. Gumbo. I'll be checking it out this weekend.

All the best,

Sharon

User Info Menu

Gregor Hilden has a great version of the tune, one of my favorites.

Thx Mr Timbell,

Lots of material on this one. Much appreciated!

Sharon

User Info Menu

Howard Roberts did it, but I forget which album it's on.

Hi Tom,

I did a short search, and it looks like it is from an album called Jaunty-Jolly? Or something like that. I haven't seen where to obtain it yet.

Sharon

I couldn't find an affordable version for download, but I found Howard's version that you can listen to on 'Grooveshark.'

Thx!

Sharon