The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Oh, and does anyone do any 80s material in their solo sets?

User Info Menu

No but I've always thought about doing Cindy Laupers Time After Time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW400
    Yeah, Miles opened the door on that one. What a fantastic tune!

User Info Menu

Fess up, jazzbos. I know some of y'all are doing 80s CMS!!!

User Info Menu

I do, but going by ears.

User Info Menu

Cool, Vihar.

What 80s tunes are you playing?

User Info Menu

Things like "Toy Soldiers" by Martika, "Another Day In Paradise" and "Against All Odds" - Phil Collins, "Heat Of The Moment" - Asia, "With Or Without You" - U2. Lots of others are still in a half-learned state. lol But I generally love 80s pop/rock music.

User Info Menu

I love "True Colors" as well! Great songs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vihar
    Things like "Toy Soldiers" by Martika, "Another Day In Paradise" and "Against All Odds" - Phil Collins, "Heat Of The Moment" - Asia, "With Or Without You" - U2. Lots of others are still in a half-learned state. lol But I generally love 80s pop/rock music.
    Good ones!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vihar
    I love "True Colors" as well! Great songs.

Yes! you're right. i didn't even think of that one. thanks. I guess I'm going to have to wait for one of those VH1 80's shows to see what other tunes I forgot about.

User Info Menu

If you need to play Footloose, you gotta get this book!

User Info Menu

Googling "Cyndi Lauper, Time After Time, PDF" will lead to a pleasant result.

User Info Menu

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Not me, but I love this arrangement. Bonus points for tele.

User Info Menu

I just went over to youtube to listen to Miles' version of "Time After Time".

And then came across THIS comment to that youtube video:

"I had no idea Miles did covers of popular music!"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    I just went over to youtube to listen to Miles' version of "Time After Time".

And then came across THIS comment to that youtube video:

"I had no idea Miles did covers of popular music!"

Yeah, one of the disconnects imo is the idea that jazz doesn't do this. Of course, in a certain sense, it doesn't.

Jazz often acts like a museum of popular music of the 20s and 30s. I love those tunes, but I often get the feeling that the crowds I play in front of would probably have a better grasp of Tainted Love than, say, Love For Sale. Naturally, I'm drawn to popular music of the 80s (though TL is also from the 60s) since that was when I grew up and I do, to certain extent, identify with it and have deeper connections with it.

Audiences vary, of course, but I don't play too many places where "jazz is spoken here" even if the gig calls for jazz ("quiet instrumental background music").

btw, not arguing for the superiority of one era's music over another (I've seen too many threads go off the rails with this kind of "debate"). Just saying that it would be fun to include more music from the era that I grew up in.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stackabones

Yeah, one of the disconnects imo is the idea that jazz doesn't do this. Of course, in a certain sense, it doesn't.

Jazz often acts like a museum of popular music of the 20s and 30s. I love those tunes, but I often get the feeling that the crowds I play in front of would probably have a better grasp of Tainted Love than, say, Love For Sale. Naturally, I'm drawn to popular music of the 80s (though TL is also from the 60s) since that was when I grew up and I do, to certain extent, identify with it and have deeper connections with it.

Audiences vary, of course, but I don't play too many places where "jazz is spoken here" even if the gig calls for jazz ("quiet instrumental background music").

btw, not arguing for the superiority of one era's music over another (I've seen too many threads go off the rails with this kind of "debate"). Just saying that it would be fun to include more music from the era that I grew up in.
    I full heartedly agree.