The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Do I have this right?

First 6 bars solo in a Bb Bebop or Mixo, then for bars 7 and 8 go to a B Dorian. 9 and 10 back to Bb then 11 through 16 are ii - V's so I would start on an Eb Dorian and go down half steps until I reach C Dorian. Finally ending on a Bb Minor scale for the last four measures.

Bb Bebop
    Bb7\Bb7\Ab7\Ab7\ Bb7\Bb7
    B Dorian
    \Bm\E7\

Bb Bebop
    Eb7\Eb7\
    Eb Dorian D Dorian C# Dorian
    Ebm\Ab7\ Dm\G7\ C#7\F#7\

C Dorian Bb Minor Scale.
    Cm\Cm\Cm\F7\ BbMaj7\Db7\GbMaj7\F7

Any Help would be great!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The problem with this kind of approach is that your not going to highlight the chord tones and hear the changes in your solo,this is essential to the bebop sound..While there is no right or wrong in music i can only tell you what i would do,but i do know that most of the advanced players will agree with me on this one.I would be thinking more in terms of playing the chord tones of each chord and embelishing them with passing tones from the scale,a few chromatics here and there to make sure the chord tones land on the strong beats,and hey presto,instant bebop.Of coarse like all things in music it is much easier to say than it is to apply.I always think its good to start of by just running the arpeggios over the chords to get those chord tones burned in.One thing i am sure of is when Wes was playing this tune he was not thinking modes.Embelished chord tones its the only way to go for me.The only time i might start thinking more modal would be on a tune like so what ,that stays on one chord for a while, there you would probably be thinking D dorian,Eb dorian ,but i would still be aware of those chord tones.
    Last edited by gingerjazz; 07-30-2011 at 05:13 AM.

Can you give me an example of the chord tones for the first few measures? Maybe even over the ii - V's? Thank you.

User Info Menu

I will give you some chord tones,but the fact that you have asked for them would indicate to me that the next step in your musical development would be to start learning your arpeggios.If you do not know your basic seventh chord arpeggios just yet you should not be going any where near modes.For Bb7 the chord tones would be Bb,D,F and Ab.Do you know anything about chord construction,if not again i would say look into it.If you need any help with theory i would be glad to helpyou.I am currently working through my London college of music theory exams ,so i am well into this stuff.It is very hard to play jazz without knowing some music theory,unless you happen to be a natural musical genius,i sadly am not a genius so the only way forward is through hard work and a lot of study.

Thank you so much! I do know what makes up most chords, or I can figure them out by looking at the notes within the chord. Wasn't sure what you meant by chord tones, but that clears it up. I have been playing for over 20 years, mainly self taught, play a lot by ear. I have played rock for ever, just transitioning to jazz over the last year. So would you recommend learning the chord arpeggios when trying to improvise over a new song? The problem I have with jazz is not knowing when to shift scales. But I would assume that is where the chord tones come in. You are a great help so far, thank you so much. Can you recommend a good course of action for me?

User Info Menu

Hi Leemorgen,I would be glad to help you more if you like,but it would help if you could say where you are musically so i do not tell you things you already know.Do you know how to build a major scale,how chords are derived from it and which ones etc.Do you know any arpeggios,not just shapes but what the relationship of the notes have to the root and that kind of thing.

I do know how to build a major scale and know the relationship of chords to the major scale. I would say my biggest problem is the arpeggios, since they are so important to jazz. Which arps do you recommend concentrating on first?

User Info Menu

Oh yes Lee,i should have just answered your questions by saying go to Matts incredible web site,he is an incredibly gifted teacher with an amazing command of language,who can put over his point far better than i ever could.I tend to use a hundred words when ten will do.Matt is very generous with his knowledge and shares it with us for no financial reward,thanks again Matt for sharing.Peace.

User Info Menu

Ginger, you were right on with your advice! Arpeggios are the basis of everything i play, then i build up from there, great way to see the neck and run changes.

thanks for the comments on my site, you said it just as well as i could, I just have some fancy notation software to but examples and tab on paper. lol

User Info Menu

Cheers Matt,this site has definitely become a much more friendly place of late under the watchful eye of our glorious leader mr b who is doing a fantastic job,thanks mr b,thats another whiskey i owe you(BUT NOT THAT AWFULL TALISKER)Glenmorangie all day long.Maybe not all day long,been there done that but then i got married.Happy days,i mean being married of course not the drinking part ,Honest
    Last edited by gingerjazz; 07-30-2011 at 09:15 AM.

User Info Menu

I second all your comments... Reg

Matt, this website is wonderful! Just what I have been looking for, now I have a good direction and resources. Let me see what I can do with the arps and I will get back to you all. Thank you so much for all of your help!

User Info Menu

Have fun with them, glad you dig the site. keep it up and keep us posted!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gingerjazz
    Oh yes Lee,i should have just answered your questions by saying go to Matts incredible web site,he is an incredibly gifted teacher with an amazing command of language,who can put over his point far better than i ever could.I tend to use a hundred words when ten will do.Matt is very generous with his knowledge and shares it with us for no financial reward,thanks again Matt for sharing.Peace.
    +1 on that!!! Lee you can spend months in there. Lot's to learn. Have fun. Ask all the questions you want. Someone will alway's try and answer them for you!

You guys are the best! I am so glad I found this forum on my quest to learn how to play jazz guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gingerjazz
    I would like to humbly throw my two cents in and say I thoroughly agree, that Matt's site has such a vast array of resources that you would be crazy not to check out his website. Great stuff Matt!

Andy

User Info Menu

Thanks Andy, wow you guys are making me blush! Love your quote btw, very true for most jazz schools unfortunately....