The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 50 of 50

User Info Menu

Hey Wiz,

Nice voicings, I could hear the melody (in my head) working real well with what you're playing.

Way to go being the first to post. Thanks for posting my friend.

Frank

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ok, this is a take played entirely by ear I haven't had time to practice/learn it properly, I will probably post another take after I learn it. So there is some noodling but what the heck.

ceora.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

User Info Menu

Good job Jay! Your ear is definately working for you. I like the way you let your improvisation breathe. I would like to post an improv file but I still don't have a good handle on the melody.

Thank you Tom, Michael and Frank for your comments, they are much appreciated. I will try to post some improvisation lines later this week. I love this thread!

wiz

User Info Menu

Nice work Jay! Lots of melodic ideas and great use of space. And what's wrong with "noodling"... we all have our stand-by licks and phrases... even Trane did!!

User Info Menu

10x guys this was a 1 take with classical guitar, which I didn't even look at the chords so I had no idea of the harmony and was only relying only on the melody of the head to guide me (which was playing in my head while improvising). the harmony in this tune is a bit tricky so some of the phrases do nit "sit" well on the harmony.

I need to find time to sit down and learn this tune properly :-)

User Info Menu

Well for 1 take noodling by ear that was good.So I can't wait for the next installment when you have got your fingers and ears around the harmony of this one.Jay,thanks for posting and looking forward to the next.

Cheers

Tom

User Info Menu

10x Tom, I'm really busy these days, I hope to make time soon to cover this tune properly

User Info Menu

Here is something maybe to help get us going... I read and recorded the melody, then comped over. Then go through chords and show how one might finger the head... I'm just recording... nothing worked out... if I start working material out... might get to complicated... The goal of thread is to learn tunes and how we approach...Check out and if anything else would help... let me know... I'll record something later tonight... more in the showcase style... Reg

User Info Menu

Just curious. What chart are you reading?

I haven't played it yet, but I talked to a friend on the phone today who just happened to be working on this tune. He said the chords were easy and melody was hard. I'll send him a link to this thread.

User Info Menu

I'm reading from the original Real Book, I have one, was there when was put together... I don't think anything has changed. Not many jazz players play the changes on the page... depending on who and where I'm playing... there could be very different version of tunes... As far as difficulty... there all easy... to read through... what we do with the tune may change how much we have to work to make sound "good"... Reg

User Info Menu

Thanks for the instructional. Interesting!

I've been working on it in the high register and am so far happy with it. But I hear ya on it being a bit thin.

It is a tricky head, to say the least.

Great comping ideas.

I'm going to keep working at this one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    I'm reading from the original Real Book, I have one, was there when was put together... I don't think anything has changed. Not many jazz players play the changes on the page... depending on who and where I'm playing... there could be very different version of tunes... As far as difficulty... there all easy... to read through... what we do with the tune may change how much we have to work to make sound "good"... Reg
    I hear you. Tuesday night I was at a jam. Just listening, meeting the hot players in town. Every version of every tune was unique.

Suddenly a trumpet player, sax, and drums all sat in together. They played Blue Trane just like the record. A jazz copy band! It was freaky in a way, but that arrangement is so good, and they so nailed it...

Anyway, I worked out Ceora last night. Let me warm up and drink some coffee first.

User Info Menu

Kudos to Wiz, Jay and Reg.

User Info Menu

Hmmm... I don't feel so bad if Reg and sgreb think melody is tricky. ;-D

Had to pull out the trombone to really get the melody in my head. Will (1 yr old) loved that. He kept examining the mouthpiece as if to ask, "How'd you put that on your face and make sound?" ;-)

Still working...and enjoying everyone's recordings. I, for one, like having a window into others' processes.

Best,
    Michael

User Info Menu

Been recording.... So far, I have determined that I'm a better bass player than guitar player. :-o

User Info Menu

All the good bass players have all the good gigs...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    All the good bass players have all the good gigs...
    Yeah... My trombone prof always told me to buy a bass trb, a tuba, a bass git, and a bass viol. He said most of his gigs were on bass git. Hmph!

Pity, but I only bought the bass trb and tuba.

Would my wife spring for a J-bass????

Anywho... I put down the bass line over a latin drum track from my GDEC and have been playing along...re-training my fingers NOT to play the full chord and am finding it very challenging after learning the full chords. Still choppy and uncertain sounding.

BTW, the line out on the GDEC-30 (gen 1) has a nasty 60 Hz hum. I filtered it out on the drum track, but am recording everything else the old-fashioned way: with a mic for a much cleaner sound.

Cheers!
    Michael

User Info Menu

This link Ceora.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage is for another attempt of me trying to improvise on Ceora. The backing track is a medium tempo BIAB real tracks bossanova style for a jazz trio (Piano, Bass & Drums). The first chorus is me trying to comp and the other 3 choruses are me trying to come up with some melodic improvisation. I am still having difficulty with Ceora but I am determined to find a good melodic line to use. All of your comment would be helpful and sincerely appreciated.

Ceora.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

wiz

User Info Menu

Wiz, good feel.

User Info Menu

Wiz,

Thanks for the file. Enjoyed it. Your recordings encourage me keep working!

Michael

User Info Menu

Hey Wiz,

Great melodic ideas! Echos of Wes (?). Your rhythm is much more on the money, too!

Nice work.

I am finding this tune particularly challenging but am still chugging away at it.

User Info Menu

Nice job on this Wiz, I know you mostly play by ear, did you play this tune by ear as well?

User Info Menu

kenbennett, Michael, sgreb and jayx123: Thank you very much for the comments and yes Jayx123, this is mostly by ear with some thought given to chord subs but I think my ears are probably still using melodic ideas from the 50's through the early 80's. During that time I did a lot of listening and transcribing of horn solo's. I didn't really get to play much with other musicians until about 2005-2006. I know my approach to jazz is kind of old-fashioned but that is where my ears take me.

wiz

User Info Menu

You know something Howie, you may think it's old fashioned!!! But! lets have a lot more as that was really cool,well done and thanks for posting

Tom

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739
    kenbennett, Michael, sgreb and jayx123: Thank you very much for the comments and yes Jayx123, this is mostly by ear with some thought given to chord subs but I think my ears are probably still using melodic ideas from the 50's through the early 80's. During that time I did a lot of listening and transcribing of horn solo's. I didn't really get to play much with other musicians until about 2005-2006. I know my approach to jazz is kind of old-fashioned but that is where my ears take me.

wiz
    You got good ears wiz. I only managed to get the head worked out last night. I can only spend about half an hour a day on this tune. This one was tough. It has lots of wiggly bits that you have to choose carefully where to put them on the fingerboard. It is worth it though; good tune guys!