The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 47

User Info Menu

Would anyone like to share their favorite Christmas albums that have a jazz influence?

I'll start:

Harry for the Holidays - Harry Connick Jr.
    Silent Nights - Chet Baker
    Django Bells - Gypsy Hombres

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Vince Guaraldi Trio - A Charlie Brown Christmas

Favorite Christmas Albums with Jazz Influences-guaraldi-charlie-brown-christmas-jpg

User Info Menu

Ray Charles' christmas album is pretty jazzy in spots.

But "Charlie Brown Christmas" is the gold standard. The only Christmas album I could listen to in July.

User Info Menu

Once again Mr. B, you & I have similar music tastes. "Charlie Brown Christmas" is also one of my favorite selections.

wiz

User Info Menu

I just checked out the Ray Charles -Spirit of Christmas. It's worth adding to my collection. Also ordered the Verve Presents:The Very Best of Christmas Jazz.

I get tired of the same old same old

User Info Menu

I love Tuck Andress' Christmas Album: Hymns Carols & Songs About Snow

http://www.amazon.com/Hymns-Carols-S.../dp/B000000NIF

User Info Menu

GRP Christmas Album...cuts by Diane Schur, Lee Ritenour, Kevin Eubanks and others. I've had Charlie Brown Christmas for years, and listen to it most of all.

User Info Menu

I love "Charlie Brown Christmas" too.
    Seems to me that a number of years ago, there was a compilation record, of mostly Jazz guitar, but I can't for the life of me remember where I saw it!
    Anybody else remember this, of am I just dreaming?

User Info Menu

"A Charlie Brown Christmas" is my top choice. Guaraldi's original trio had the great Eddie Duran on guitar. I often wonder what the album would have sounded like had they used him on it.

Also love the Tony Bennett/Basie Band recording.

And, though it's not completely jazz influenced:

http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Song...s_all_1#disc_1

There are several version of "The Christmas Song" on this recording.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

That LP cover is pure sweetness

User Info Menu

I really like the album "Jingle All The Way" by Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. It's got some pretty interesting covers.

Here's them doing 12 Days of Christmas live:
    . Each day is done in a different key and musical style, and the day number corresponds with the time signature they use (i.e. 3/4 for day 3, 4/4 for day 4, 5/4 for day 5, etc).

User Info Menu

Joe Pass ... "Six String Santa"

Ella Fitzgerald has one that I listened to a lot this year. Ella's swingin' Christmas I think is the title. She improvises around a melody as well as any horn player. Great stuff.

User Info Menu

My favs are The Brian Setzer Orchestra Christmas discs. That live show they do for Christmas is among the best I have ever seen. I also like Diana Krall's Christmas recording, and it is hard to get enough Manhattan Transfer Christmas.

User Info Menu

oscar peterson's Christmas album; also albums by duke ellington (his take on the nutcracker suite), herb alpert (yes, there is a jazz chord in there—i heard it!), chris botti, diana krall, james taylor, lisa ono, luis miguel, nancy wilson, willie pickens, nat king cole, natalie cole (two!), tony bennett (also two!), take 6, and ramsey lewis.

i always wished that thelonious monk had recorded a Christmas album. how fun that would have been! (sigh)

User Info Menu

Hi everyone, I know it's only august lol but I compiling a song list for the ensembles at the music school I teach and that includes a holiday recital at the end of the curse that's why I'm starting this early my 'holiday listening' season. I'm looking for records/ songs to listen to and I need to transcribe some solos and make the lead sheets in case they're not in the Real Book.
    So what are your favorite Holiday jazz albums/songs? what would you recommend?
    All levels and songs are welcome, Recent or classics, guitar or not..
    Thanks in advance!

User Info Menu

Kenny Burrell's Christmas album is one my all time favorites.

User Info Menu

A Charlie Brown Christmas - Vince Guaraldi
    Christmas Caravan - Squirrel Nut Zippers
    Christmas Songs - Diana Krall
    Four Hands & a Heart - Larry Carlton
    Hymns, Carols and Songs About Snow - Tuck Andress

Duke Ellington's Nutcracker Suite is great, though probably not what you're looking for. Incidentally, Hal Leonard's "real Christmas book" has nice jazz changes for the standard carols.

User Info Menu

Jazz standards include The Christmas Song, Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas..... Of course, that does not take into account the Christmas Carols.

User Info Menu

vince guaraldi!

esp this classic

cheers

User Info Menu

I've posted this before......sorry for repeating myself.....it's just that nothing says the 'Night Before Christmas' like this one.....

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

yeah guaraldi was special..eclectic, melodic..could play it straight, but always pushing boundaries..fact that his music is as much a part of the charlie brown thing as schultz, the creator ...a fave

cheers