The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 47 of 47

User Info Menu

Yes indeed. It's hard to think of a better match between visual art and music. A close second might be the pairing of Bill Frisell's music with the animations of Gary Larson's 'Far Side' cartoons. Somehow, BF seemed to really understand what should accompany a cow walking about on its hind legs. And I honestly mean that as a compliment. (Sorry, I'm getting off the Christmas theme now).

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

My Christmas CDs--jazz and otherwise--are packed away in a special box, so I'll just mention two of my all time favorites: Joe Pass Six String Santa and Wynton Marsalis, Crescent City Christmas Card.

User Info Menu

Always loved the groove on this one.

Also if I have to listen to Christmas music, gimme the old Ella stuff all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

wow thanks guys! I got plenty to choose from now, It's gonna be an early holiday season mood over here haha

User Info Menu

Holiday Soul by Don Patterson is my favorite Christmas album by far. Pat Martino's playing on that record is jazz guitar at its finest.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlteredDave
    wow thanks guys! I got plenty to choose from now, It's gonna be an early holiday season mood over here haha
    I generally start a new Christmas arrangement and dust off old ones this time every year, that way it sounds somewhat decent for the season!

User Info Menu

From the "Six Strng Santa" album by Joe Pass, a slow "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas"

and a mid-tempo "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town"

User Info Menu

Not exactly jazz but John Fahey's christmas album is one of my favorites

User Info Menu

On a lark, I went to YouTube and typed in "herb ellis christmas." This came up: Herb with Redd Foxx from the sitcom "Sanford & Son."

I used to watch that show but did not know Herb had been on it. (Of course, back then, I wouldn't have known who he is if someone told me his name.)

Herd does some tasty/bluesy playing here, although the camera's not on him much. Worth a listen.

Last edited by MarkRhodes; 12-01-2016 at 10:18 AM.

User Info Menu

Royce Campbell also has some very fine Christmas music. Royce has become one of my favorites.

User Info Menu

Six String Santa (Joe Pass) is hard to beat - it's definitely my favorite, although I've not come across the Burrell Xmas recording before. Like it too...

User Info Menu

From a lesson by Rich Severson (99 cents guitar lessons) "O Christmas Tree." I think he does a fine job here.

User Info Menu

Joe Pass and Kenny Burrell are the first that sprang to mind, close behind Gerry Beaudoin & The Boston Jazz Ensemble,
    A Sentimental Christmas
    . It's a fine set, more of a ensemble set than a guitar showcase.

I've just pulled down my box of Holiday CDs, but haven't looked through it.

User Info Menu

My three favorite jazz guitar based albums are from John Pizzarelli Let's Share Christmas, Six String Santa from Joe Pass, and a recent addition from Steve Abshire and Vince Lewis, Tis' the Season.

User Info Menu

TedGreene.com has a bunch of his arrangements of Christmas tunes. Most of them are pretty triadic, but his version of "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" is quite adventurous and a serious finger buster.

Not a guitar version, but years ago, I saw the Keith Jarrett Trio do a version of that same tune, with Keith doing a rubato introduction so gorgeous that the audience didn't initially recognize it. Later, I found a bootleg of it... I'm glad it wasn't lost in the air forever.

User Info Menu

Tuck Andress "Hymns, carols and songs about snow"

User Info Menu

Not a Christmas song per se but that's the mood here.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Actually this was it. Martino at 20.

User Info Menu

Hah there's a whole album!

User Info Menu

Big Rhythm Band, A Swingin' Christmas. A very creative effort by James Holihan, Jr. Multi-tracked guitars arranged a la a swing big band. It utilizing a wide variety of guitar sounds.

User Info Menu

I second that Tuck Andress' christmas album is fantastic.

Other guitarists who have made good christmas albums are:

Pat Martino (on the Don Patterson record "Holiday Soul")

Steve Eckels - Comfort and Joy (Solo classical but on the whole quite jazzy)

Ron Eschete - Christmas Impressions (with a particularly great version of "God rest ye merry gentlemen"

Jimmy Ponder - Guitar Christmas

Tony Mottola - Holiday Guitars