The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 53

User Info Menu

Well, yes, I guess I didn't realize you intended to stay completely in first position. Pretty wide range in the melody, puts some notes quite low if that's your intention, and you'll still need to get up to the 5th fret A at the end...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Always forget about that with Dan.

Dan, you can very easily get away with a lot of "melody on the bottom" with a small about of the rhythmic separation I'm talking about, as well. Just half beat or a grace note.

User Info Menu

When I played an arpeggio over the g b d# and g it sounded better.......thanks

Sure. It's a waltz anyway. That kind of rhythmic separation is kind of necessary to articulate 3/4 in a jazz style. Melody on 1, chord on 2-3. Not as a formula necessarily, but that kind of vibe. If you look at the melody, much of it is "borrowing" chord tones from the previous chords. There tensions, sure, but most jazz (and all other music really) is about blurring those bar lines. They're just organizational frameworks for our benefit. They aren't boxes to rigidly "hold the chords in".

A chart would help...

User Info Menu

ok.....i'm also having trouble with the 27th measure. The melody note is I believe a g# ( I transposed from f to g) My chart says play a c chord......???? Another chart says play c+.......dan

User Info Menu

So Lawson, I play the melody note which is f# on the 4th string and strum which notes?....Dan
    Last edited by jazzdan; 02-01-2017 at 02:58 PM.

User Info Menu

Strum or arpeggiate as much of the chord as you can get to. Maybe the b on the 3rd string with the d on the 2nd and the open e?

Also: grab the f# on the 4th string then just bar 3-2 on the 4th fret: B augmented, albeit reduced. For one beat it'll get the harmonic movement for you. You can grab the d# on the 6th fret of the 5th string from there. Outside your 1st position but easily reached from the voicing I've suggested.

User Info Menu

Grant Green ut 3 tunes in 4 well. Always liked his "moon river" too.

User Info Menu

Ok Lawson, that sounds fine......what chord name shall I use or not use....thanks....Dan

User Info Menu

I'd still just call it a B7#5. You are implying the standard harmony but in the actual solo you don't always have to play the whole chord. The longer you dwell on it, the more you need to include. But that measure leaves you just one beat for the chord fragment between the two melody notes.

User Info Menu

Thanks Lawson.....above the word find in the 27th measure is a g# if I have transposed correctly. In the key of F the chart says Bb.....transposed that would be C but that doesn't work with the g#. I've tried doing an arpeggio over c..e...g# and that sounds clunky but it's only for a beat......????? I used Matt's advice on the B+ here......Dan

User Info Menu

Actually what you are hearing as "doesn't work" is what the composer wanted. It's a IV chord (subdominant) with its own sharpened 5th and everybody learning this song tends to hang up on it. I play it in Bb and so I usually voice it as Eb on 5th string, G on 4th, B natural on 3rd. It's an easy grip, but you have to train your ear to hear it as "right." You can play by using C on 5th, E on 4th, G# on 3rd, even grab the C again on 2nd.

You might find a short cut, but this is an important "turn" in the tune and I think it's one of the spots a player needs to "nail" to get the song right.

User Info Menu

For what it's worth, just having some fun with Guitar Pro. "normal" octave, I think of these as a good combo of stock (nothing fancy) but still smooth.

for some reason guitar pro automatically extends barre symbols to all strings sometimes, so some of the chord grids indicate barre-ing that goes a 'string too far', but the notation is right.

Someday My Prince Will Come-someday-my-prince-will-come-jpg

User Info Menu

Oops I see now I've given you a voicing that is in the wrong octave. I imagine you're putting the G# on the 6th string which will sound muddy. You could play the G# and strum your C chord by barring strings 4-3-2 at the 5th fret.

User Info Menu

Ok....I'll keep rolling it like Matt says until I get it.....so that chord is a C+?......thanks....Dan

User Info Menu

The g# is on the third string so I can roll the c...e and g#.....Dan

User Info Menu

Sorry for reviving the thread, it just seemed the appropriate place to share the chord melody I made of this song.

It's very straight forward, nothing fancy:

Here are the charts I made:

Someday My Prince Will Come-some-day-my-prince-will-come-chord-melody-1-jpg

Someday My Prince Will Come-some-day-my-prince-will-come-chord-melody-2-jpg

User Info Menu

Here's my take of "Someday My Prince Will Come", thanks for checking it out!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by delo054
    Here's my take of "Someday My Prince Will Come", thanks for checking it out!

Nice! I like the bass lines especially!

User Info Menu

I did one recently; semi-improvised chord melody with improvised solo:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    I did one recently; semi-improvised chord melody with improvised solo:

Very nice! Some really beautiful lines in there!

User Info Menu

Ted Greene demonstrates about 20 different ways of playing it in this video:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Milton
    Ted Greene demonstrates about 20 different ways of playing it in this video:

Omg, I forget sometimes what a genius that man was!!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricmolina
    Very nice!