The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 57

User Info Menu

I Once had a quartet that did all 80's metallica as Jazz, which was horrible mostly because we had no arranging chops or actual anything chops.

Methinks it would be fun to revisit. There's enough interesting meters and forms going on to make it fun.

Also, I have been daydreaming of doing arrangements straight ahead of Stevie Wonder tunes, really not any sort of a stretch but swung or in a ECM broken vibe I think some of that shit would really be extra hip.

I also was in a group that did Zepplin covers as Jazz reworks. Those worked as well.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It's hard not to find Instrument X playing song Y on youtube: Banjo playing Stairway to Heaven; While my bagpipes gently weep; HS band playing Free Bird...

User Info Menu

I simply have to call your bluff on that one BDLH - no weeping bagpipes that I could find. I did find this though:

It would be a much duller world without YouTube.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun
    Free Bird.

Just so when that stupid smug bastard in the crowd calls for it, I can give him- and the entire crowd- a 20 minute long version of Free Bird and watch him get the crap beat out of him.
    dont give up your day job

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ohlcv
    I simply have to call your bluff on that one BDLH - no weeping bagpipes that I could find. I did find this though:

It would be a much duller world without YouTube.

Got me! I would say that the traditional bagpipe is limited by its range (a ninth?) and that fact that it's not chromatic. But there is such a thing, God preserve us and protect us, as the electric bagpipe. These puppies have no such limitations; I hope this doesn't give anyone nightmares!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Hanlon
    I also was in a group that did Zepplin covers as Jazz reworks. Those worked as well.

That would most definitely sound good.

User Info Menu

"Like A Star" by Corinne Bailey Rae as a slow samba.

Makes my toes curl up.

Or segue Kenny Burrell's Midnight Blue into Van Morrison's Moondance. Easy enough to do, considering that THEY'RE THE SAME SONG, VAN!!
    Last edited by mangotango; 11-04-2010 at 08:10 AM. Reason: can't type, dagnabbit

User Info Menu

go to youtube and look up lenny breau playing you needed me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mangotango
    "Like A Star" by Corinne Bailey Rae as a slow samba.

Makes my toes curly up.

Or segue Kenny Burrell's Midnight Blue into Van Morrison's Moondance. Easy enough to do, considering that THEY'RE THE SAME SONG, VAN!!
    Corinne Bailey Rae is AWESOME at reharmonizing tunes and putting a groove feel behind them. She's done Bjork, Zeppelin and even Justin Timberlake.

She is one of my favorite contemporary vocalists

User Info Menu

Anyone into Alex Skonick? He does quite a few versions of classic rock tunes like Highway Star, Detroit Rock City, Dream On. I used to have a group called The JazzHippies. We did straight ahead versions of 50's 60's, 70's stuff. Depends on how you arrange it, and your choice of songs. Not everything works IMHO.

User Info Menu

Metallica -Nothing Else Matters

I would love to do some metal stuff, maybe something off Ride the Lightning or Master of Puppets by Metallica. I don't know the first thing about those tunes, musically, but it might be fun to try.

I also like "Ten Years Gone" by Led Zep, but that might be a stretch.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GodinFan
    There are several beatles tunes that work well. I'm checking out some Tom Waits tunes as well.

We have "In My Life," in our (self-collected) book.

"Step Right Up," by Tom Waits, certainly has the rhythm goin' on -but no melody- so would require working something out. I'm not sure how to get that across and still be a Tom Waits song?

User Info Menu

Paul Anka is the man....Nirvana...big band style

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Paul Anka is the man....Nirvana...big band style

Holy Moly! Thats brilliant!

User Info Menu

That is one badass chart the band is playing.

User Info Menu

Recently finished my own arrangement of So Far Away. Worked a little with Home Sweet Home/Motley Crue, and thinking of doing something with Angie/Rolling Stones.

User Info Menu

Interesting song by Paul Anka. Didn't Pat Boone do a similar schtick a while back, complete with black leather??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by robertm2000
    Interesting song by Paul Anka. Didn't Pat Boone do a similar schtick a while back, complete with black leather??
    Y'know these guys claim it's schtick, after years of doing shmaltz sincerely.
    I dunno. Sometimes their schtick sorta goes right over my head.

Maybe if they put their tongue in their cheek right when they're doing it, before their audiences leave the seats all sticky, I might "get it."

User Info Menu

Yes, Pat Boone did release a cd w/ big band versions of rock songs. In A Metal Mood - No More Mr Nice Guy. Came out about 1997. I was listening to it recently; good stuff.

User Info Menu

The big band I'm in bought the same charts of Ozzie's "Crazy Train" that these guys are playing. Sometimes we perform it right after we do "Take the A Train".

Last edited by cosmic gumbo; 11-07-2010 at 04:39 AM.

User Info Menu

Far out!

Really needs Paul Anka doing the "Aye - aye - aye - aye" parts though.

User Info Menu

I'm always looking for newer tunes to jazz-up.The one I currently like the best is Eleanor Rigby, by the Beatles.
    I do the "Ahhh look at all the lonely people" part, pretty much as written, and swing the heck out of the rest of the tune.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    The big band I'm in bought the same charts of Ozzie's "Crazy Train" that these guys are playing. Sometimes we perform it right after we do "Take the A Train".

This is actually very impressive

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun
    Free Bird.

Just so when that stupid smug bastard in the crowd calls for it, I can give him- and the entire crowd- a 20 minute long version of Free Bird and watch him get the crap beat out of him.
    ROTF