The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRoss
    I haven't got an alternative, though - jazz manouche would probably be even worse, the way the French are treating gypsies these days.
    Well, I remember that I have heard folks like Tchavolo and Dorado Schmitt actually use the term "Manouche" while also using the term "Swing" (French Accent, please...). The latter one obviously would not make a good choice in the US. In my view the term "Gypsy Jazz" is used in the English speaking world not only the US. Also the English versions of some of the Dutch Gypsy players use the term. Gypsies are rarely treated well in any country. Traditionally they are nomads and more often that doesn't blend well with modern society. I don't think that they have to endure worse in France than their counterparts do in Hungary, Czech Republic, Germany, Belgium. Otherwise they could easily migrate there and probably they would do so.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gambrosius1984
    Great vid's, but you can't forget one of the gypsy waltz kings, Moreno
    You are absolutely right Gambrosius.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzaluk
    Understood Gambrosius. Those people exist in every genre.
    Dang, well put Jazzaluk. Can anyone even fathom what would happen if at the local jazz jam the guitar player would offer up some slick diminished Gypsy runs in the middle of a Bebop tune. I would be particularly concerned about some of the horn players.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frogeye
    Dang, well put Jazzaluk. Can anyone even fathom what would happen if at the local jazz jam the guitar player would offer up some slick diminished Gypsy runs in the middle of a Bebop tune. I would be particularly concerned about some of the horn players.
    Dangerous thought indeed. Could be accused of being "guitaristic"!!

User Info Menu

Hey, I do that all the time and no one cares... in fact they like it. I love throwing in GJ licks at jams cause people (i.e. the horn players) think I made it up! Jazzaluk knows what I mean!

(Half) joking aside, what I have seen is that GJ has a tradition and it is VERY developed, in terms of picking, rhythmic styles, orchestration of instruments, substitutions, and composition and it is VERY, very sophisticated. So, if you go and sit in with some good GJ players and start dropping in your Jim Hallisms, Ben Monderisms - that is not going to work unless you can demonstrate that you really, really know their stuff and what you are doing makes sense. My advice is to listen and learn what you can and always be respectful. These folks are trying to maintain a tradition and you can support that. Jazz is a tradition that is struggling and we want it to survive. GJ is possibly having an even more difficult time and needs the attention and respect for tradition that it deserves.

Of course, if you really find it difficult walk away....

BTW - I am currently going through a bunch of GJ picking drills and it is cleaning up my playing big, big time.

User Info Menu

I should probably answer the question too...

1. Minor Swing
    2. Nuages
    3. Djangology
    4. Tears
    5. Swing 42
    6. Django's Castle

...and if you are really wanting a treat try Anouman - a beautiful Django ballad....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roberoo
    I should probably answer the question too...

1. Minor Swing
    2. Nuages
    3. Djangology
    4. Tears
    5. Swing 42
    6. Django's Castle

...and if you are really wanting a treat try Anouman - a beautiful Django ballad....
    In the realm of "ballads", don't forget Claire de Lune, the main tune that Robin Nolan centers his new Burning Ballads online course on. Also, Manoir de mes Reves, another ballad Mr. Nolan places some importance on (of which I had not previously heard of myself).