User Info Menu

We are always trying out new tunes. This one may not be a likely candidate for a drummerless trio version but I think it works well enough ... This take is not perfect yet (I heard a few issues) and we need some more work on a tighter groove but ... hope you still like it.

It's a jazz waltz but we play it with the B section in 4s. The bass player always comes up with ideas like that.

The guitar is my Tal Farlow through my Mambo 10 jazz amp.

From the same session as the 2 vids I posted a few days ago ...

DB

Last edited by Dutchbopper; 05-17-2021 at 10:01 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

These posts are among the most enjoyable I have listened to. Seeing a forum member actually playing with live musicians, improvising, learning, working against a kind of limit (no drummer), is quite satisfying. I hope you keep playing with this trio and I especially hope you keep recording and posting.

User Info Menu

Very spiffy arrangement! You guys should form a band or something.... Thanks for posting!

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    These posts are among the most enjoyable I have listened to. Seeing a forum member actually playing with live musicians, improvising, learning, working against a kind of limit (no drummer), is quite satisfying. I hope you keep playing with this trio and I especially hope you keep recording and posting.
    Thanks. Our bass player is struggling a bit in this one. The tune will need some more rehearsing because it hasn't sunk in yet. The trio format is by no means an easy one ... We all learn from these recordings and change our approach accordingly ...

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbopper
    Thanks. Our bass player is struggling a bit in this one. The tune will need some more rehearsing because it hasn't sunk in yet. The trio format is by no means an easy one ... We all learn from these recordings and change our approach accordingly ...

DB
    This specific format strikes me as one where every player has to be totally up to the challenge. No other musicians to hide behind!

This specific format strikes me as one where every player has to be totally up to the challenge. No other musicians to hide behind!
    Yes, you are right. Especially the single line guitar solos have to outline the changes well, for there is no harmony behind you. The whole thing is sheer nudity and is so fragile! I have played in drummerless trios with a piano too and that is so much easier. Let alone a quartet or quintet.

Also the bass player's role in our trio is so important as time keeper ...

DB

User Info Menu

Exactly what Lawson said. Could not put it any better.

Thanks Dick.

David