Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

From Tuesday last's rehearsal. Herbie Hancock's "Driftin'"and Herb Ellis' "Detour Ahead."

We had never played "Detour Ahead" earlier. We recorded our first take. The guys had to sight read the melody. I'm not sure they even know the tune ... There are a few subtitles in the beginning about who is going to play the melody. It was all totally spontaneous and unrehearsed.

Hope you like.

DB

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Driftin! Such a fun tune.

Love this trio, man, you guys sound great.

User Info Menu

Very nice playing, D. I think this combo would work very well in a small club/restaurant/bar. One criticism: when you play without a drummer, the bass needs to be louder since he is setting the time. This was more apparent in the first video than the second.
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

You guys sound really good together.
    Very nice!

User Info Menu

Sounds great!

User Info Menu

Excellent - as ever. I was not familiar with the Herb Ellis piece but really enjoyed your rendition. A real sense of place in these videos - fly on the wall stuff. Thanks again Dick.

David

User Info Menu

nice Trio!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbopper
    From Tuesday last's rehearsal. Herbie Hancock's "Driftin'"and Herb Ellis' "Detour Ahead."

We had never played "Detour Ahead" earlier. We recorded our first take. The guys had to sight read the melody. I'm not sure they even know the tune ... There are a few subtitles in the beginning about who is going to play the melody. It was all totally spontaneous and unrehearsed.

Hope you like.

DB

Once again, wonderful playing, tone to die for from all three instruments. The Chet Baker trio feel is definitely there and feels totally natural. And that guitar... wow does it sound thick and juicy.

This was also wonderfully recorded. How are you capturing the recording? It's really nicely done. I buy the CD in a heartbeat if it were on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Driftin! Such a fun tune. Love this trio, man, you guys sound great.
    Thanks Jeff. Glad you like it.

DB

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Very nice playing, D. I think this combo would work very well in a small club/restaurant/bar. One criticism: when you play without a drummer, the bass needs to be louder since he is setting the time. This was more apparent in the first video than the second. Play live . . . Marinero
    Thanks Marinero. Did you listen through laptop speakers or iPad? I run all my music from my laptop through a hifi system and than the balance is not that bad. I agree with you though ... the bass needs to be loud in our format. We record with two mikes only (the ones you can see on the right) and the separation is only so so ... mixing is not really possible. So when I want a louder bass you get a louder trumpet and guitar too. Maybe if we separate the mikes more we can adjust the balance in the mix better and get a louder bass.

DB

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Once again, wonderful playing, tone to die for from all three instruments. The Chet Baker trio feel is definitely there and feels totally natural. And that guitar... wow does it sound thick and juicy. This was also wonderfully recorded. How are you capturing the recording? It's really nicely done. I buy the CD in a heartbeat if it were on sale.
    Thanks for the kind comment Lawson. We record digitally with two mikes into a digital recorder. You can see the mikes on the right. At the same time my camera is recording too. It has a stereo mike.

The trumpet player sends his digital recording to me, I edit the sound (add a bit of compression and reverb) in my virtual studio and then I put it under my video because his mikes are superior to the ones on my camera) with video software, adding zoom and fade effects etc. That's about it.

So basically it's a simple stereo recording using 2 mikes with some post production sound editing.

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbopper
    Thanks Marinero. Did you listen through laptop speakers or iPad? I run all my music from my laptop through a hifi system and than the balance is not that bad. I agree with you though ... the bass needs to be loud in our format. We record with two mikes only (the ones you can see on the right) and the separation is only so so ... mixing is not really possible. So when I want a louder bass you get a louder trumpet and guitar too. Maybe if we separate the mikes more we can adjust the balance in the mix better and get a louder bass.

DB
    Hi, D,
    Very interesting. I listened through my laptop with headphones. However, your explanation makes complete sense. And, perhaps, I thought it was a professional recording since it looked very professional. As a former woodwind player who played in horn sections for years, the biggest problem in a recording studio was to balance the horn section against the rhythm section despite playing with amplified instruments since the timbre of "horns" was always so dominant/pervasive. So, if the trumpet/electric guitar went through one mic and the bass through the other mic, it might give that driving bass more individual volume to establish the rhythm while not getting lost. Just a thought.
    So, I very much enjoyed the music and love the creative combination of instruments. I think, perhaps, the future of live Jazz/Brazilian music will be forced into the trio format since it is easier to pay three musicians rather than four or five and the ergonomics of size plays in its favor in smaller venues. Are the clubs open again in your area? They are slowly opening here but, personally, I don't feel comfortable in trying to book jobs yet, since the potential for contagion remains so vague as expressed by our national government health authorities. We all need to get back to playing and your new group, I believe, has great potential for success. Good luck and good playing!
    Play live . . . soon??? . . . Marinero

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Hi, D,
    Very interesting. I listened through my laptop with headphones. However, your explanation makes complete sense. And, perhaps, I thought it was a professional recording since it looked very professional. As a former woodwind player who played in horn sections for years, the biggest problem in a recording studio was to balance the horn section against the rhythm section despite playing with amplified instruments since the timbre of "horns" was always so dominant/pervasive. So, if the trumpet/electric guitar went through one mic and the bass through the other mic, it might give that driving bass more individual volume to establish the rhythm while not getting lost. Just a thought.
    So, I very much enjoyed the music and love the creative combination of instruments. I think, perhaps, the future of live Jazz/Brazilian music will be forced into the trio format since it is easier to pay three musicians rather than four or five and the ergonomics of size plays in its favor in smaller venues. Are the clubs open again in your area? They are slowly opening here but, personally, I don't feel comfortable in trying to book jobs yet, since the potential for contagion remains so vague as expressed by our national government health authorities. We all need to get back to playing and your new group, I believe, has great potential for success. Good luck and good playing!
    Play live . . . soon??? . . . Marinero
    Like you said, I think a better separation of the mikes is indeed the answer to get a better balance in the mix. We have to experiment with that.

Over here venues are still closed in the evenings. So no gigs are possible yet.

I love the drummerless trio format. Like you say, It is economically interesting for smaller venues and I think it lets the music breathe more. We hope to be playing live again soon.

Regards,

DB

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk