User Info Menu

Here's a smoky live recording from almost 18 years ago, recorded at the Crow. As a rookie, I was playing in a Hammond trio with the great Arno Krijger (one of the best Hammond players in the Netherlands). Though two beats are missing somehow (software hick ups?) ... I love the vibe of it. John Maasakkers on drums. When you play it loud you'll hear the Hammond growling and booming.

When I started out, I was always playing with better musicians at the Crow and those years were very inspiring.

I was playing a Hamer Sunburst solid body.

Hope you like.

DB

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sounds good Dick, I enjoyed that. You sounded a lot better than I did 18 years ago!

I haven’t got any recordings of my jazz playing earlier than 2008, obviously I didn’t think it worth bothering until then!

By the way I’ve got some Crow recordings you put online years ago, it has Peter Hertmans and Matern Ottern on guitar in 2001, it’s good stuff, I burned it to a CD and still listen to it.

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Sounds good Dick, I enjoyed that. You sounded a lot better than I did 18 years ago!

I haven’t got any recordings of my jazz playing earlier than 2008, obviously I didn’t think it worth bothering until then!

By the way I’ve got some Crow recordings you put online years ago, it has Peter Hertmans and Matern Ottern on guitar in 2001, it’s good stuff, I burned it to a CD and still listen to it.
    O yeah. That was a recording of one of the earliest "jazz guitar night at the Crow" shows we did in 2001. These guys were so much better than I was at the time. Hertmans was teaching at a conservatory but I lost track of him. Matern is still playing great and has become a genuine Youtube jazz guitar star with many educational vids out. I played with him several times over the years and that man is so in control of his instrument and so consistent in his playing ... no nerves, no mistakes ... a machine. He is always good. Very lyrical player with beautiful lines.

DB

User Info Menu

Great Trio!
    Hamer solid body sound really good.
    Nice jazz playing.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Dick, this is great- memory lane can be an awesome thing. This is somewhere near in time when I visited there with my trio so your post brings it all back. Good times!!! Thanks

User Info Menu

Excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut
    Dick, this is great- memory lane can be an awesome thing. This is somewhere near in time when I visited there with my trio so your post brings it all back. Good times!!! Thanks
    Do you remember what year that was Mark? And was that gig taped?

DB

User Info Menu

Excellent tone and phrasing. Nice job!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbopper
    Do you remember what year that was Mark? And was that gig taped?

DB
    . It was definitely recorded because you sent me CD’s of the whole thing. I’m sure I still have them somewhere but my CD collection is in disarray and I’ve barely spun any CD in longer than I can remember. But I think it was 2002.