Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

mistakes and all

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi, M,
    That's the most impressionistic take on Giant Steps I've ever heard . . . if you hadn't thrown the melody in around 2:19 I would have never guessed. However, for me, these musings are an important element to improvisational growth so . . . what's in a name?
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Hi, M,
    That's the most impressionistic take on Giant Steps I've ever heard . . . if you hadn't thrown the melody in around 2:19 I would have never guessed. However, for me, these musings are an important element to improvisational growth so . . . what's in a name?
    Play live . . . Marinero
    Thanks! That’s the nicest thing anyone has said to me today!

User Info Menu

giant steppes?

the grimace on your face after the clam is priceless...haha...poker face!!

nicely played per usual

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    giant steppes?

the grimace on your face after the clam is priceless...haha...poker face!!

nicely played per usual

cheers
    see, totally human

User Info Menu

Nice! I liked the way you arranged the tune such that the recognizable melody came in late in the piece. There was a hint of it earlier ~1:00 at least to my ears.

I never really noticed your right hand technique before but enjoyed that also. By this I mean how you're holding your pick. With the tremolo and sweeps you seem to drop it down, more to the side of the finger and thumb, akin to the old fashion, bluegrass/country? style. Perhaps an incorrect characterization of that style but hopefully you get my meaning. I'm guessing that's to give you more purchase and stability? Or does it let you use your elbow more? Very smooth on the transition between holds!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by keith
    Nice! I liked the way you arranged the tune such that the recognizable melody came in late in the piece. There was a hint of it earlier ~1:00 at least to my ears.

I never really noticed your right hand technique before but enjoyed that also. By this I mean how you're holding your pick. With the tremolo and sweeps you seem to drop it down, more to the side of the finger and thumb, akin to the old fashion, bluegrass/country? style. Perhaps an incorrect characterization of that style but hopefully you get my meaning. I'm guessing that's to give you more purchase and stability? Or does it let you use your elbow more? Very smooth on the transition between holds!
    . Good observations about the change in grip. I do that, like shifting into high gear, for the fastest passages. The elbow really gets engaged there as the prime motor and you can see how my hand gets a lot stiffer for a quicker spring-back between notes. It might not be evident, but the rest stroke factors heavily in this switch too.

User Info Menu

Keith, you might find this interesting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut;[URL="tel:1107284"
    1107284[/URL]]Keith, you might find this interesting.
    hi Mark .... I’m a big fan

just noodling around like that
    your sound is incredible
    and the harmonies and lines
    and especially the clusters
    you play are wonderful to me

power to you man ....

from Pingu
    deep joy
    a massive fan

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting that Mark. Nice camera work on that. One can really see from the guitarist's perspective what you are doing.