Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Here's a septet audio/video recording of 'The Shadow Of Your Smile'
    we did in October 2020. A nice and transparent arrangement in 7/4
    by Joerg-Achim Keller without a piano...
    I did arrange the solo introduction.

Last edited by DaShigsta; 03-07-2021 at 01:26 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Beautiful version. Great guitar intro.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Beautiful blend of timbres! Tough work for a guitarist to hold Brazilian rhythms together in 7/4 without a piano.
    Great job, Paul. Must have taken a lot of concentration.
    I've read some reports that the flute is the most dangerous instrument in regards to spreading droplets of COVID particles. Did they take any strategy in setting up the band to prevent that?
    I notice the flute player is set up at the front of the septet, but what do you do with the big band when the wind players are all sitting next to each other in the section?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Beautiful blend of timbres! Tough work for a guitarist to hold Brazilian rhythms together in 7/4 without a piano.
    Great job, Paul. Must have taken a lot of concentration.
    Thank you. Actually it's often easier without a piano... when you play with a good rhythm section.

Much to the dismay of pianists I always like to quote Sonny Rollins:

I've read some reports that the flute is the most dangerous instrument in regards to spreading droplets of COVID particles.
    Did they take any strategy in setting up the band to prevent that?
    I notice the flute player is set up at the front of the septet, but what do you do with the big band
    when the wind players are all sitting next to each other in the section?
    We are only allowed to rehearse/record/perform when the requirements re: overall space and individual distances are being met.

My personal rule is: Get me as far away as possible from the horn sections.

User Info Menu

Sonny Rollins +1...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DaShigsta
    Thank you. Actually it's often easier without a piano... when you play with a good rhythm section.

Much to the dismay of pianists I always like to quote Sonny Rollins:

We are only allowed to rehearse/record/perform when the requirements re: overall space and individual distances are being met.

My personal rule is: Get me as far away as possible from the horn sections.
    The study I read said that most of the horns are pretty safe, if you meet the requirements of space and distancing, but the flute is a different case, because the air doesn't go directly into the horn like it does with the saxes, trumpets and bones.
    The angle of the mouth in relation to the hole causes air that doesn't go into the horn to get refracted in various directions, and spray all over the place.
    With the septet, the flute is positioned way up in front of the other players, so everyone behind him is protected by the flute player's head, but anyone in front of him runs the risk of being sprayed by the air bouncing off the mouthpiece.
    I've got a number of arrangements I've written during the last year that feature either one or two flutes.
    Once we get playing, that is going to be a big problem.

As far as what Sonny said, I used to work in a piano-less quartet with a horn player who said he was sick of getting assassinated by pianists!

User Info Menu

That was a wonderful production, and I mean the music, recording and the filming (camera angles and variety). It will be nice to look back on this when you get old and just smile. Definitely caught my eyes and ears.

User Info Menu

Was great to listen to! Excellent intro as well!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    That was a wonderful production, and I mean the music, recording and the filming (camera angles and variety).
    Thank you. This was a Johnny Mandel and Burt Bacharach production.
    We did a total of 8 songs which will be released over the course of the next months.

It will be nice to look back on this when you get old and just smile.
    Definitely caught my eyes and ears.
    The getting old part I've already taken care of... I'll be retiring from the band in a couple of months.
    And watching yourself play (you know how it is...): I can smile just a little bit now...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    Was great to listen to! Excellent intro as well!
    Thanks !

Btw... I enjoyed the Uberjam vibe of the Organ Trio on your YT channel very much.

User Info Menu

That's a timeless tune too!

User Info Menu

Five stars!! I’ll be repeat listening. Congratulations!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut
    Five stars!! I’ll be repeat listening. Congratulations!
    Thank you !
    Last edited by DaShigsta; 03-10-2021 at 05:46 PM.