Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

some stylistic departure, thoughts?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Mark,

Part of the joy of listening to you play is the surprise element and
    your individual approach to navigating the moment.
    Monk always sounds like himself. When he recorded Ellington songs, he sounded like he was playing his own compositions.
    All of your playing I've heard to date was very recognizable as Mark K.
    This track on the other hand is certifiable proof that you possess skills and knowledge to play in another voice. It is beautifully played, clarity of phrase and feel and while it is an enjoyable listen, little about it speaks to me in the same way as do even the most raw solo and small group postings you bring here and on FB.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bako
    Mark,

Part of the joy of listening to you play is the surprise element and
    your individual approach to navigating the moment.
    Monk always sounds like himself. When he recorded Ellington songs, he sounded like he was playing his own compositions.
    All of your playing I've heard to date was very recognizable as Mark K.
    This track on the other hand is certifiable proof that you possess skills and knowledge to play in another voice. It is beautifully played, clarity of phrase and feel and while it is an enjoyable listen, little about it speaks to me in the same way as do even the most raw solo and small group postings you bring here and on FB.
    thanks for listening and for sharing your impressions. This isn’t something I’d have done without prompting from a friend who did the drum programming and piano. I did everything else with guitars (elec, acoustic and bass) plus guitar synth for all of the textures and percussion and lead voices in the last section. Even the monkeys it was a fun to do all of the production stuff in addition to just the playing, but I agree with you that it’s a style that I’d never spend any time listening to. Maybe it will be commercially viable? LoL!!!

User Info Menu

Great sounding clip.Realaxing stuff after hard work on it.
    Jazzingly
    Kris

User Info Menu

I found the music to be engaging and relaxing, while the visuals had a Lynchian textural density that was almost tactile. Experimentation usually fructifies one's main work. I'd say this was time well spent.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    I found the music to be engaging and relaxing, while the visuals had a Lynchian textural density that was almost tactile. Experimentation usually fructifies one's main work. I'd say this was time well spent.
    thanks for the feedback. I’m glad you enjoyed it.

User Info Menu

haha...lockdown gettin to you?? you are too good a player/improviser for that slick/smooth jazz style...fun & done nicely enough, but not you! abandon ship! haha

cheers

User Info Menu

Super smooth! No question it's well done, and it's nice to see somebody having a little fun.

I think everyone should try something a bit different from time to time. Why the hell not? If nothing else, it's nice to know you can do it. And you might need to earn one day...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    haha...lockdown gettin to you?? you are too good a player/improviser for that slick/smooth jazz style...fun & done nicely enough, but not you! abandon ship! hah

cheers
    I will take that as a compliment, but I would hate getting too swelled a head to ever feel “too good” for a style. It’s not like I’m signing up for a wedding band. While this is smooth sounding, I got to play with complete freedom to do anything I wanted, so I enjoyed it. It was much more work to produce than most videos I post, and it’s reasonable to question if the work was worth it. I’m feeling it was inasmuch as I learned from the process more so than any ultimate value of the end product.

User Info Menu

it was meant as a compliment! you played duets wth stowell for cripesakes!! hah

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    it was meant as a compliment! you played duets wth stowell for cripesakes!! hah

cheers
    cant rest on the laurels though. Thanks for the props.