User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Very nice! Love those blues licks you're throwing in there.

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Very nice! Love those blues licks you're throwing in there.
    Thanks TOMMO! It's fun to play these tunes with a little grit every now and then

User Info Menu

nice tones...a nod to the always bluesy & gritty grant green perhaps

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic

cheers
    Thanks Neotomic. I love that album! I don't hold a candle to Grant Green, but it's flattering that my recording could evoke the master!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic

cheers
    That's the one I'm trying to learn right now. Learning the melody by ear was easy, chords not so much especially in the turnarounds. Any tips?

That's the one I'm trying to learn right now. Learning the melody by ear was easy, chords not so much especially in the turnarounds. Any tips?
    Hey TOMMO I'm not sure if your question was directed to me, but I'll throw in my two cents. My advice would be to familiarize yourself with common turnarounds, most tunes are going to use variations of common turnarounds. As you gain familiarity with the most used turnarounds you will be able to identify them more easily. Another thing that I find helpful is identifying the bass movement, then reproducing the harmonies with a limited number of voices. This particular song has a minor tonal center, so most all of the turnarounds are minor ii V's.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by delo054
    Hey TOMMO I'm not sure if your question was directed to me, but I'll throw in my two cents. My advice would be to familiarize yourself with common turnarounds, most tunes are going to use variations of common turnarounds. As you gain familiarity with the most used turnarounds you will be able to identify them more easily. Another thing that I find helpful is identifying the bass movement, then reproducing the harmonies with a limited number of voices. This particular song has a minor tonal center, so most all of the turnarounds are minor ii V's.
    Thanks for your reply.
    I'm familiar with the standard turnaround changes but what I'm hearing there (Grant Green version) doesn't sound exactly like one of those. Checking for chord sheets on the web I found four and each of them has different changes. The endings of the first A section are pretty obvious: 1. Cm Bb7 to Ab7 and G7 and 2. Cm for 2 bars.
    The turnaround on the repeat of the B section isn't as clear to me and that's where the chord sheets differ the most. Sounds like there are quite a few subs at work...

Thanks for your reply.
    I'm familiar with the standard turnaround changes but what I'm hearing there (Grant Green version) doesn't sound exactly like one of those. Checking for chord sheets on the web I found four and each of them has different changes. The endings of the first A section are pretty obvious: 1. Cm Bb7 to Ab7 and G7 and 2. Cm for 2 bars.
    The turnaround on the repeat of the B section isn't as clear to me and that's where the chord sheets differ the most. Sounds like there are quite a few subs at work...
    I think the B section in this recording is little different than some of the charts I've seen for the tune. I hear it/play it as:

Ab7 / Adim7 / Ebmaj7 / % /
    Ab7 / Adim7 / Ebmaj7 / D-7b5 G7alt /

You can substitute any kind of turnarounds you like for the last measure of each repeat, but I think keeping the b section simple is cool here.