Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

The prettiest tune of the handsome ones ...

Audio only. On the 350.

DB

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Beautiful tone and feeling...loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Beautiful tone and feeling...loved it.
    Thanks Graham. I think this tune would suit your playing style very well. Have a go at it. It is such a beautiful tune.

DB

User Info Menu

Yes, as it happens I’ve been listening to Bill Evans recently, makes me want to play some of the tunes he played.

Another one I like is ‘Elsa’, I think that was composed by the same guy (Earl Zindars).

User Info Menu

Nice playing! I guess you taped your rhythm guitar part first, and then played the melody and solo on top of it.
    The first time we played it with P, G, B, and D, I completely lost it on the bridge going into four, but the other three guys had played it before, and it was old hat to them, so there was no train wreck.
    The next time we played it with a different bass player, and he screwed up the bridge, and there was a train wreck.
    The time after that, we had a new drummer, and another series of train wrecks on the bridge, until the drummer had us write out the number of bars in three, and the numbers of bars in four, because he had no sheet music in front of him.
    Playing it live with a piano, bass and drums with Bill's tempo, drive, and rhythmic displacements is tricky, but very exciting. Here are the guys I usually play it with:

User Info Menu

Beautiful tune, and beautiful playing DB! Man that's a sweet sounding 350!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Nice playing! I guess you taped your rhythm guitar part first, and then played the melody and solo on top of it.
    The first time we played it with P, G, B, and D, I completely lost it on the bridge going into four, but the other three guys had played it before, and it was old hat to them, so there was no train wreck.
    The next time we played it with a different bass player, and he screwed up the bridge, and there was a train wreck.
    The time after that, we had a new drummer, and another series of train wrecks on the bridge, until the drummer had us write out the number of bars in three, and the numbers of bars in four, because he had no sheet music in front of him.
    Playing it live with a piano, bass and drums with Bill's tempo, drive, and rhythmic displacements is tricky, but very exciting. Here are the guys I usually play it with:
    Yes, that's how I did it. Actually the backing is a loop by Matt Otten. I had the same problems with the tune as you when I played it for the first time. I screwed up the fours too several times in a row that we played it ... . You have to get to know the tune. Nice going on the tune by the trio!!!!

DB

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Beautiful tune, and beautiful playing DB! Man that's a sweet sounding 350!!!
    Thanks Bop. Yes, I have finally found the best way to record my guitars and the 350 sounds like a million bucks. What I found out is that direct recording my guitars (so without and amp directly into the interface through a pre amp and then into the virtual studio software) does NOT lead to the best possible recorded sound. To bring out the best I think you DO need an amp and the tonal qualities added by a speaker. No more direct recording for me.

I recorded the 350 through my Mambo 10 amp with all EQ flat. Just a mic in front of the amp and voila ... The 350 sounds so wonderfully creamy.

Vinny stated this earlier somewhere and he was right. You need an amp to bring out the best. I have tried other ways over the years (amp modelers, direct recording, pre amp) but never got the same results as with my recent recordings miking the amp.

DB

User Info Menu

What mic did you use Dick? I could probably do with a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    What mic did you use Dick? I could probably do with a new one.
    A very cheap condenser mic. No longer available (AV JEFE electret condenser mic phm917).

You can get one for about 50 bucks. Something like this would work just fine.

DB

User Info Menu

Thanks, I will start investigating!