User Info Menu

Very good sound!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Very good sound!
    thanks for listening!

User Info Menu

Awesome!!!

Can you tell us something about your workflow?

User Info Menu

Hmm, I'm not sure if you'll be interviewed anytime soon by Bass Guitar magazine, but what you played fitted in unobtrusively. A sound debut, and we hope to hear more. That guitar player's not half bad, and the drummer is wonderful too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by boo
    Awesome!!!

Can you tell us something about your workflow?
    sure, is there a specific aspect you’re wondering about?

User Info Menu

biggest common self production mistake made is to mix the instrument you are less comfortable with too low...your bass doesn't fit the mix..in volume and tone... dial in a tone that doesn't compete...think deep...& mix it like you own it!

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    biggest common self production mistake made is to mix the instrument you are less comfortable with too low...your bass doesn't fit the mix..in volume and tone... dial in a tone that doesn't compete...think deep...& mix it like you own it!

cheers
    . Thanks for the feedback. I’ll keep fiddlin and twiddlin.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut
    sure, is there a specific aspect you’re wondering about?
    Why didn't you take another avatar for the bass player like the drummer?

No, fun aside, I am just curious about the order (I am guessing now): First a rudiment bass and click track, then the guitar and drums together and finally the bass. Or are there multiple rounds?

In the video, you can see that the whole thing was recorded in one piece without cuts....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by boo
    Why didn't you take another avatar for the bass player like the drummer?

No, fun aside, I am just curious about the order (I am guessing now): First a rudiment bass and click track, then the guitar and drums together and finally the bass. Or are there multiple rounds?

In the video, you can see that the whole thing was recorded in one piece without cuts....
    actually an avatar or mask for the bass player would be a good idea to lower the “creepy” factor I don’t know yet how to do that in the video software I’m using, Davinci Resolve 16.

The fist step for this was the drummer recording himself alone over at his place. He sent me a bunch of files to choose from with different feels and such, so I picked this one for the funkish groove that would go with electric bass.

I loaded his file to my computer and pull up in DR16 and add a synch clapperboard strike to the front. I then played the bass part with a Panasonic digital SLR camera for video and a zoom q8 for audio. I could watch the drummer on my screen and hear himin phones while I recorded - basic playalong, but all one take with no stops or edits. Took me about 5 tries on bass to get the take I used.

I transferred the bass files to the computer and load into DR16 and synch them to the drum tracks with the clapperboard I had added to the drums up front (I made sure the q8 video picked up the clapperboard in frame and recorded it so I’d be able to line them up later)

now I can see and hear the drums and bass together and just played along the guitar part. That was the first take. The cameras, synch and transfer process was the same as what I did for the bass.

Then the fun part, mixing. Both of my parts were done in front of a green screen so I used the DR16’s tools to detect and remove the backgrounds. I resized my selves and positioned them over the drummers background video. Note I attempted to make this realistic by rotating my selves a bit before recording and occasionally looking over in the assumed direction of the others. Maybe most importantly, I changed my shirt.

I think I could simplify things by recording audio and video into the same computer, but the laptop I’m using isn’t powerful enough to run video and an Audio DAW at the same time.

User Info Menu

A lot of work.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    A lot of work.
    . It’s never work when it’s fun.

User Info Menu

I dunno about the rookie on bass, but that's some serious blowing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    I dunno about the rookie on bass, but that's some serious blowing.
    maybe a bass solo in the next one

User Info Menu

actually an avatar or mask for the bass player would be a good idea to lower the “creepy” factor I don’t know yet how to do that in the video software I’m using, Davinci Resolve 16.
    Thank you for your detailed explanation! Yeah, I think the new LIDAR scanner in the iPhone 12 could be used for replacing a person in a video with another person or an avatar. But until now I don't know a Software that can do this...

The fist step for this was the drummer recording himself alone over at his place. He sent me a bunch of files to choose from with different feels and such, so I picked this one for the funkish groove that would go with electric bass.

I loaded his file to my computer and pull up in DR16 and add a synch clapperboard strike to the front. I then played the bass part with a Panasonic digital SLR camera for video and a zoom q8 for audio. I could watch the drummer on my screen and hear himin phones while I recorded - basic playalong, but all one take with no stops or edits. Took me about 5 tries on bass to get the take I used.

I transferred the bass files to the computer and load into DR16 and synch them to the drum tracks with the clapperboard I had added to the drums up front (I made sure the q8 video picked up the clapperboard in frame and recorded it so I’d be able to line them up later)

now I can see and hear the drums and bass together and just played along the guitar part. That was the first take. The cameras, synch and transfer process was the same as what I did for the bass.

Then the fun part, mixing. Both of my parts were done in front of a green screen so I used the DR16’s tools to detect and remove the backgrounds. I resized my selves and positioned them over the drummers background video. Note I attempted to make this realistic by rotating my selves a bit before recording and occasionally looking over in the assumed direction of the others. Maybe most importantly, I changed my shirt.

I think I could simplify things by recording audio and video into the same computer, but the laptop I’m using isn’t powerful enough to run video and an Audio DAW at the same time.
    That is really a lot of work, but the result is truly awesome. I watched it once more and like it very much!

My only suggestions so far are to make the bass louder (already mentioned) and replacing the background (of the drummer) too and showing something complety different.