Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Jarrett is one of my biggest influences. I'm doing a series of Jarrett tunes in light of the tragic news about his health.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yes, Jarrett is one of my biggest influences too! I don't know any piano player that's better. I absolutely loved his trio stuff and their 30 year run! I own more Jarrett albums than any others. And I've every DVD of the KJT produced. Yeah, I'm a Jarrett fan...and I don't apologize for it. Nice tribute!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Yes, Jarrett is one of my biggest influences too! I don't know any piano player that's better. I absolutely loved his trio stuff and their 30 year run! I own more Jarrett albums than any others. And I've every DVD of the KJT produced. Yeah, I'm a Jarrett fan...and I don't apologize for it. Nice tribute!
    Hey thanks!! Yeah, Jarrett is up there with the most in my collection too! Along with MIles, Coltrane, Corea. His trio stuff, a lot of his early solo stuff. I even have the Sun Bear Concerts on vinyl. I have two more Jarrett tunes to post.

User Info Menu

Give it up too to the bass player cooking’ up some smoke in the kitchen hanging out in the kitchen between the ‘fridge and the coffee pot!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Give it up too to the bass player cooking’ up some smoke in the kitchen hanging out in the kitchen between the ‘fridge and the coffee pot!
    LOL!! Yeah. We bought a house 5 years ago. My 95 year old mom was living with us then, so it was a perfect solution. We got a hoise that had a mother-in-laws cottage in the backyard. After she passed two years ago we converted the cottage into a recording studio. We had already started construction when I had a friend and studio owner come and look. He asked what I was going to do with the kitchen. I said it's a kitchen. Seriously, he said? In Nashville there are a bunch of studios like this, an old small house. Every room is used. So I decided he was right. I don't use this as a kitchen any more. LOL.

User Info Menu

I discovered Keith Jarrett by accident long ago. When I have work to do in my house, he's often in the background keeping me company.

His music is engaging, interesting and elegant. But there is more about him. I read an interview with him before I ever listened to him. It was about his personal health issues. I was taken that it wasn't him complaining about "poor me". Instead he concerned himself on how he disappointed others, particularly his wife, because he couldn't do more. That was his drive to recover.

Lastly, he was a great ambassador to the world about American jazz. His dignity, style and competence shone on the world stage.

He led an amazing professional life. I hope he knows that. Well done, sir.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett

Jarrett is one of my biggest influences. I'm doing a series of Jarrett tunes in light of the tragic news about his health.
    I noticed your Varitone is set on 3 or so. You may be one of the few who actually takes advantage of that filter.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    I noticed your Varitone is set on 3 or so. You may be one of the few who actually takes advantage of that filter.
    LOL! No. I don't even use it. It's not functional any more.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    I discovered Keith Jarrett by accident long ago. When I have work to do in my house, he's often in the background keeping me company.

His music is engaging, interesting and elegant. But there is more about him. I read an interview with him before I ever listened to him. It was about his personal health issues. I was taken that it wasn't him complaining about "poor me". Instead he concerned himself on how he disappointed others, particularly his wife, because he couldn't do more. That was his drive to recover.

Lastly, he was a great ambassador to the world about American jazz. His dignity, style and competence shone on the world stage.

He led an amazing professional life. I hope he knows that. Well done, sir.
    Yes he is amazing and has led an extraordinary artistic life.

I think I first became aware of KJ from the Forest Flower album by Charles Lloyd back in the early 70s. Then I think it was the album with Gary Burton, especially his introduction to his song Fortune Smiles. That STILL knocks me out. I don't hear people talking about this. It presages his future phenomenal solo concerts. I think because of that I bought Treasure Island, which I didn't like so much but this song was the one I played on the record player - Le Mistral. THEN it was Koln Concert. That lived on my turntable for a long time. I made a cassette of it and always played it on long drives to and from gigs or my girlfriend in SF. Then it was all over. A done deal. I bought almost everything I could find. Belonging. The European band was one of my very favorites.

He's just a force of nature. Sometimes a bit too precious but I love his uncompromising artistic integrity. I have to take his excesses along with his moments of brilliance and beauty.

User Info Menu

There’s only one Keith Jarrett. He’s got nothing to apologize for. He’s not feeling well, **** it, stay in bed until you’re feeling better. Keith has had a heckuva career. Who does classical and jazz to high levels? I’ve nothing but the greatest respect for his accomplishments. I’m sure Gary’s passing hit Keith very hard.