Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

I told the other guys and the bass player about the other version. I only posted it here. They didn't mind as long as only posted it on some jazz guitar forum! LOL. Here's another version we did Monday. Now I'm not so happy with a few of my flubs, but it's jazz. You gotta be OK with the random flubs. I like the last half of my solo and the first of my fours. LOL. Sue me. I hope you like it. I love playing this song.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I absolutely love this tune. It's from Corea's 1978 Mad Hatter LP. I bought this in 1978, and have been a big Corea fan ever since. This album had a whose who of artists like Joe Farrell, Eddie Gomez, Steve Gadd, etc. I wore the album out and later replaced it. Your version is spot on, and has the rhythm of the original version by Corea. Hot stuff man!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    I absolutely love this tune. It's from Corea's 1978 Mad Hatter LP. I bought this in 1978, and have been a big Corea fan ever since. This album had a whose who of artists like Joe Farrell, Eddie Gomez, Steve Gadd, etc. I wore the album out and later replaced it. Your version is spot on, and has the rhythm of the original version by Corea. Hot stuff man!
    I loved this album. I think it was the early 80s? And twister of a song to play. A lot of fun. The crazy thing about Chick is he writes these great songs but then he REALLY writes a coda. It's like, damn man. I amd struggling to learn this song and now I have to learn the CODA TOO? LOL. Not may people take the time to write a real coda.
    Last edited by henryrobinett; 12-05-2020 at 09:00 PM.

User Info Menu

Well played as usual Henry! That is a difficult tune to master. I'm afraid my flubs would take over so much, it would sound like a totally different song.

I really like your bass player too. He's a bit buried in the mix, but that kid can play! Once we get through this isolation I'd love to hear your group in a live setting.

User Info Menu

Henry that is fantastic!
    I loved it. Your playing is effortless.
    A great treat for a Saturday night!
    Thanks. Joe DeNisco

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Henry that is fantastic!
    I loved it. Your playing is effortless.
    A great treat for a Saturday night!
    Thanks. Joe DeNisco
    Thank you Joe!!

User Info Menu

Thank you. I hope so. He’s a great bass player. I’m hoping we’ll be well enough groomed to play some gigs around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    Thank you Joe!!
    Henry, I'm with Joe on that, great playing +2 , flubs!! So What.!!.... more please

Best , Silverfoxx

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    Henry, I'm with Joe on that, great playing +2 , flubs!! So What.!!.... more please

Best , Silverfoxx
    Thank you so much silverfoxxx! Flubs come with the territory! Otherwise it might not be be jazz! Or at least not me playing jazz!! Lol.

Last edited by henryrobinett; 12-06-2020 at 07:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    I loved this album. I think it was the early 80s? And twister of a song to play. A lot of fun. The crazy thing about Chick is he writes these great songs but then he REALLY writes a coda. It's like, damn man. I amd struggling to learn this song and now I have to learn the CODA TOO? LOL. Not may people take the time to write a real coda.
    Actually it’s from 1978 from Polydor records. Dear Alice was also a 10 minute cut from the Mad Hatter lp which really features Corea and Eddie Gomez. The follow up album also released in 1978, Friends, won a Grammy award in 1979 for best jazz instrumental. “Friends”, also included the same outstanding cast including the great Joe Farrell, Eddie Gomez, and Steve Gadd. Friends had two great hits on it, Samba Song, and Cappuccino, each of these tore it up with outstanding solos from these great artists. Who said the 70’s was all about fusion? These were straight ahead jazz lp’s.

User Info Menu

". Now I'm not so happy with a few of my flubs, but it's jazz. You gotta be OK with the random flubs. " HR

Hi, Henry,
    Nice playing. There are few, if any, working musicians who play perfect performances. That's because it's LIVE and subject to the vagaries of the moment. When we listen to recordings of musicians that have been edited to perfection, we are not listening to a real performance but rather a collection of snippets edited for perfection. That's why I like live recordings, in situ.
    Musicians are like athletes: we have good nights, bad nights, and mediocre nights. But, that's reality and it's still better, for me, than a highly edited recording. There is no substitute for playing live. It's how a performing musician hones his music and voice. . . and, 99% of the audience never really hears the "mistakes."
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    ". Now I'm not so happy with a few of my flubs, but it's jazz. You gotta be OK with the random flubs. " HR

Hi, Henry,
    Nice playing. There are few, if any, working musicians who play perfect performances. That's because it's LIVE and subject to the vagaries of the moment. When we listen to recordings of musicians that have been edited to perfection, we are not listening to a real performance but rather a collection of snippets edited for perfection. That's why I like live recordings, in situ.
    Musicians are like athletes: we have good nights, bad nights, and mediocre nights. But, that's reality and it's still better, for me, than a highly edited recording. There is no substitute for playing live. It's how a performing musician hones his music and voice. . . and, 99% of the audience never really hears the "mistakes."
    Play live . . . Marinero
    Thank you very much. I totally agree. I although I have no problems with studio editing. The artist is making something that will hopefully bear repeated listening. But yeah. That’s why I like the video format. Editing is very hard and tricky. I like the pure playing warts and all.