User Info Menu

Here’s a song I wrote several years ago when I was teaching in Vienna. My boys were 2 and 4. I missed them terribly. I was reading a great short story by Raymond Carver. I was reduced to tears. I wrote this as a result. It appeared on my album “An Uncommon Prayer”. This isn’t a great performance from me. But it’s about the song. We recorded it Thursday. I hope you like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A good background story from you about a great story by Carver. Quite hard to read as a father of young children, I imagine. He published an earlier version of the story under a different title, but it was altogether creepier, discomfiting, and dissatisfying, without the catharsis or transcendence or strange peace of the final version. I taught it many times.

And of course I can hear a similar tenderness and humility in your writing and playing here. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Thank you. I haven’t read the earlier version. I read it at first in the 80s before I had children. Then in Vienna I picked up a collection of Carver shorts. I had been away from my boys for a couple of months. Missed them so much. I read that on the tram coming home to my apartment and just cried like a baby. Thinking how embarrassing it was to be crying on a public tram, I collected myself and got off. I went to cafe and I ordered a beer or coffee. I finished reading the story and continued crying. I put the book in my pocket, caught another tram and went home. I wrote the piece as soon as I got home. I had to do something with that incredibly sad energy.

The thought of losing a child and what followed. It was just too much for me then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk