hah..that was fun! mercy...

clam on the fade

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    hah..that was fun! mercy...

clam on the fade

cheers

Oh there's a lot more than that one clam!

User Info Menu

Cool and greasy slide - maybe a couple notes too many....?

User Info Menu

Loved it. Never saw what you did previously slide-wise but that was great. Super tone, too.

User Info Menu

First off, I think you have great phrasing on the fretted notes, very vocal and in control. Could listen to a lot of that. The slide work, to my ears, sounds thinner and less defined. If you're still experimenting with that (forgive me if you aren't), I think you'd benefit from a higher action to avoid too much contact with the frets. Will be interesting to see how this evolves.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about playing slide guitar, just love listening to Ry.
    Last edited by Peter C; 09-16-2020 at 05:13 AM.

User Info Menu

Yeah! That's the stuff, right there!

User Info Menu

Wonderful, Jeff!

User Info Menu

Thanks all...

Yes, definitely still experimental...might try heavier strings, but ideally I want to keep guitar playable both ways...may be a compromise somewhere...action still pretty low, using .011s.

I need to experiment with different slides...heavier slide will fatten the tone, but be even more likely to clang my frets...

Too many notes? Probably. I need to find a balance between jazz mind and slide mind. Gonna take some time.

Thanks for listening...there will be more, as long as I feel I'm making some progress.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

I need to experiment with different slides...heavier slide will fatten the tone, but be even more likely to clang my frets...
    A slide with thick walls and lesser weight works best for me when playing slide on a guitar with a standard set up.

User Info Menu

Any recommendations on a thick walled slide that's low weight?

Might honestly be what I'm already using..."Planet Waves" pyrex...quite light, looks pretty thick.

User Info Menu

I like Dunlop's "Mudslide", made of porcellain

MUDSLIDE PORCELAIN SLIDE - Dunlop

or the "Moonshine" ceramic slides. Both have thick walls and are light weight.

MOONSHINE CERAMIC MEDIUM SLIDE - Dunlop

That being said My favourites are still homemade bottlenecks. The only glass slide that's on a par tonewise is a lead crystal slide:

The Ultimate

User Info Menu

I'm totally enjoying this slide Jass.

User Info Menu

jim dunlop 212 glass slide...thick walled and pinky length...readily available

https://www.jimdunlop.com/dunlop-hea...t-glass-slide/

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    I like Dunlop's "Mudslide", made of porcellain

MUDSLIDE PORCELAIN SLIDE - Dunlop

or the "Moonshine" ceramic slides. Both have thick walls and are light weight.

MOONSHINE CERAMIC MEDIUM SLIDE - Dunlop

That being said My favourites are still homemade bottlenecks. The only glass slide that's on a par tonewise is a lead crystal slide:

The Ultimate
    I'm a longtime Mudslide* user myself, although I have slides in pyrex, and a very nice stainless steel slide fashioned for me by our son. They all have their uses.

My last Coricidin slide is, alas, long gone.

* The cool thing about the Mudslide is that the unglazed interior absorbs moisture, keeping your finger dry and preventing slipping and (ahem) sliding.

User Info Menu

interesting tale is that ry cooder used the same glass pinky slide for 30 years...from his earliest days...till he finally cracked it against a mic stand one performance...ugh

derek trucks uses a "medicine" (coricidin) bottle type slide...like his idol duane allman did...

dunlop has a trucks slide model based on the coricidin bottle

DEREK TRUCKS MEDICINE BOTTLE SLIDE - Dunlop

cheers

User Info Menu

Good fun listening. In the begining it sounded like 2 different players. Kind of "all stars ad hock band" playing solos one after another. Soon enough, it started making sense, though.

For couple of years already, ever since I got guitar with whammy bar, I contemplate using slide, exactly for the reason. Have more fun. Unfortunately, asking price in local shop is 10 EUR and more, just enough to spoil it all, while I was not able to find adequate ready made object.

Sent from My Blog Page