Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

we'll see how far I go with this.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

very jeff beck..nice

& he uses a strat with whammy to take the bends up a notch..a master!

cheers

User Info Menu

Nice try, Jeff. I have always loved listening to you play, full of admiration, but I'm going to lodge my first complaint!

Your slide intonation is off at times...there, I said it! Improve that, though, and the combo of slide and no-slide could be a killer. Sometimes deliberate off-intonation is a good thing, as you well know, I'm sure, but I didn't get that feel here. Otherwise it sounded great, and I look forward to a more finessed version soon!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Nice try, Jeff. I have always loved listening to you play, full of admiration, but I'm going to lodge my first complaint!

Your slide intonation is off at times...there, I said it! Improve that, though, and the combo of slide and no-slide could be a killer. Sometimes deliberate off-intonation is a good thing, as you well know, I'm sure, but I didn't get that feel here. Otherwise it sounded great, and I look forward to a more finessed version soon!
    My word Rob ! your',e a hard taskmaster ! I thought Jeff sounded great on Blue in Green. The slide not at all OTT more please

Silverfoxx

User Info Menu

There's a full moon...

User Info Menu

Lol, well it was literally day one...

I actually thought my intonation wasn't bad...just that note about 1:09...that's a cringer.

Actually, listening thru my phone there's a few other moments I'm off, or I vibrato myself out of tune. Through headphones it sounds better to me...but if I need to qualify my playing as to how it should be listened to...well...

My vibrato is a definitely too "excited," though...gotta relax a bit.

I do think ill stick with it. I don't really use my pinky much when playing single note lines, so might as well stick a slide on it

User Info Menu

Good. I didn't say it was way off, just off at times, but I wasn't listening with headphones. I'm hypercritical of my own slide playing. Sliding into a note is fine, but once you go beyond it...

I really like what you're doing, Jeff, if I didn't I wouldn't have commented. And I got the sense it was an early experiment. As such, it shows tremendous promise. I've tried mixing slide with non-slide soloing before, but it just annoyed me after a while. I hope you keep at it.

User Info Menu

PS Have you thought of trying one of these: https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/acce...SABEgLIUfD_BwE

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    PS Have you thought of trying one of these: Jim Dunlop 229 Shy Slide
    That looks kinda cool...i think I need glass...but hey, notvexpensive...I'll experiment.

And no worries, no offense taken. Its a process...a process that if I stick to ill document here plenty, looking for feedback.

User Info Menu

I totally enjoyed it! Thanks for taking the time to post the video. I'm looking forward to more of "the process".

User Info Menu

I like what you're shooting for there. I agree that a few notes are a tad "off" and you gotta calm down that vibrato (for my ears, anyway).

Have you heard Jack Pearson doing this?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    I like what you're shooting for there. I agree that a few notes are a tad "off" and you gotta calm down that vibrato (for my ears, anyway).

Have you heard Jack Pearson doing this?
    I have not-- I've heard him play jazz, ive heard him play Allmans style, but not both...any videos?

I'm sure I'm not the first to do it!

User Info Menu

Miles would have approved, I think.

User Info Menu

Sounds really good Jeff!

I do this kind of thing all the time. I thought I was the only one. I mostly played slide before I got deeper into jazz. And when I get called to play a gig it's almost always to play slide.

It's fun to try to blend the two. My private instructor has encouraged me to pursue it further but I never really have.

Derek Trucks did some jazz tunes with his old band. Less so with Tedeschi Trucks.

User Info Menu

This Les Paul demo was broken up into "parts" on YT some time ago and there was a point where he's weaving seamlessly in and out of blues and jazz, then just picks up a slide. Couldn't find it specifically just now.

User Info Menu

Playing slide guitar to me is very difficult, but that doesn't stop me from trying. Neighborhood Ferrel cats start gathering at my door when I attempt it. So I appreciate it when someone of your ability shows us how it should sound. Your rendition of "Blue In Green" was sweet and soulful.

User Info Menu

slide is all about tuning and strings...hari played in standard tuning...kept those classical melodies and mixed in some indian classical phrasing..others like cooder use g tuning and heavy flats...duane (via jesse ed davis w taj mahal) and derek trucks used open e..

many choices

i like glass slide and standard these days..tho i had my fun with open g...keith!

cheers

ps- dave tronzo was one of the more celebrated slide players playing jazz..he was lauded in guitar circles in the 90's..but has slipped into obscurity these days..great player

User Info Menu

I played blues-rock slide years ago, preferably with a spark plug socket that fit my ring finger.

I was playing up to 3 strings at a time, using open G, D, A, and E tuning. Mostly G or D.

I used my other fingers to dampen the strings I was actively playing, and that requires lifting the bridge rather a bit. So once I set that Sekova LP Classic copy for slide, that's pretty much all I did with that one.

You're doing pretty nice there for early testing!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rNeil
    I played blues-rock slide years ago, preferably with a spark plug socket that fit my ring finger.
    that was the "little feat" lowell george way..he used a sears craftsman!!...tho he was cooder disciple

cheers

User Info Menu

Went further, cuz why the fuck not?

Cooder is my man right now.

User Info Menu

nice...still hearin lotsa jeff beck...with a little oldtime lap steel mixed in

leo based the very first teles on his work with lap steels...the tele bridge pup was all about lap steel

btw, slide intonation improves with heavier strings...flatwounds...& higher action...

ry is the man..

and sonny landreth!

cheers

User Info Menu

Ah, that sounds good. You are really on to something, Jeff. Keep it up!