User Info Menu

Resolute Vibration is a passion project of mine. There are just two musicians - percussion and guitar and everything short of a couple synth pads here and there to fill out the sound is recorded live. We've been recording on and off over the course of the last year and just finalized the tracks for our second collection of original ambient compositions.

Full album on BandCamp:

https://resolutevibration.bandcamp.com/album/volume-2

I debated whether or not to share it here, but in the few instances in the past I did, we always had kind feedback. You'll find there's actually a lot of improvisation to this music, though not "jazz guitar" in any form. Please forgive me!

Pure ambient is the genre. Vibraphone and electric guitar are the primary instruments, but you'll hear plenty of effects that I've added in post production to mellow out the raw instruments. There are also instances of kalimba, idiopan, and acoustic guitar throughout the album. The highest quality recording will be on BandCamp, but since each song was recorded live, there are videos to go along with each of the tracks and I've left links to YouTube if you're interested in that instead.
    ------------------------------------------
    Track 1 - Remembrance - 7:28
    YouTube -

This composition starts out slow and introduces the three distinct themes with almost no rhythmic relationship to how they will appear later. The vibraphone remains at a constant tempo throughout and it's not until halfway through that the guitar catches up and finally plays its two themes in time. Throughout, the vibraphone plays with texture - moving from the wooden end of the mallets, to the rubber grips, a combination of both, and lastly to the traditional use of the mallets.
    Track 2 - Rolling Rapids - 9:13
    YouTube -

This one starts out with just a finger piano (kalimba) and then moves to our usual instrumentation. We started with a loose compositional idea and then improvised and built upon it in the moment. There's a basic loop that keeps repeating throughout and a dotted 1/8th delay on the guitar that makes for some interested rhythms depending on what notes I accented.
    Track 3 - Pensive Rest - 4:07
    YouTube -

The composition has two main sections - C# major (A) and E major (B). The A section is repeated throughout with slight variations while the B section occurs just twice and in exactly the same way both times. A little bit of improv throughout all of it by both musicians.
    Track 4 - The Spirit of Nature - 5:30
    YouTube -

Idiopan & Acoustic Guitar
    The idiopan is a bit like a tunable steel pan. The tongues are tuned individually with the use of magnets that attach to the inside. For this recording we had it set up to a Lydian mode. The guitar is set up with a Spider capo to simulate alternate "open" strings. It's mic'd acoustically, but is also plugged into my pedalboard, where I'm running plenty of wet effects and a stereo panning tremolo. The idea for the form of this piece came from a loose concept of a rondo - where there is a repeating A section and each section in between is different and improvised.
    Track 5 - Infinite Reflection - 6:23
    YouTube -

The guitar part is just a 5-let ostinato alternating between a few different chords throughout - nothing exciting on its own, but listening back I really love how my friend layered different polyrhythms on top. Sometimes emphasizing every other note so it alternates on the downbeat. Sometimes playing triplets over 4 of my notes and on a few occasions triplets over my 5-let grouping.
    Anyway, hope you have a relaxing Saturday morning. It's a cool, overcast day here in Western Pa, which is my favorite kind of weather. I'll be spending it putting in a new floor in my kitchen.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wonderful project, Alex

User Info Menu

well done...been a fan since you first started posting vids of your duo...

idiopan is very cool!

continued success

cheers