User Info Menu

the title will be obvious

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Beautiful tone and flawless technique.

User Info Menu

Well, that's another use for a soundhole. Great playing as always.

User Info Menu

I always enjoy Mark's playing.

I've noticed before how 'quiet' his left hand is but in this view it really jumped out at me. I'm a little surprised at what he gets out of such seemingly simple fingerings. I don't know if that's the right description. But I don't see a lot of stretching and reaching. Or fingers bunching up trying to sit on the same fret or two. Sort of a index finger 'moving capo' kind of thing? Maybe others do this and I just haven't noticed. John Stowell is an interesting comparison. He's equally relaxed but there's a lot of 'impressive' fingering.

Not that I've spent much time looking at other players' left hands. I'm starting to feel some arthritis in some joints. Probably made worse by some of my more 'heroic' fingerings. This kinda looks more friendly to me and I think I'll see if I can do something with it. I think Mark has a long playing life ahead of him. I sure don't see much joint torture going on!

Anyways... I saw it and wanted to comment. In the end it's about the music, which is excellent.

Please keep posting Mark!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    I always enjoy Mark's playing.

I've noticed before how 'quiet' his left hand is but in this view it really jumped out at me. I'm a little surprised at what he gets out of such seemingly simple fingerings. (...snip....)
    Please keep posting Mark!
    i really enjoyed reading this. You really get what I’m doing and “quiet” is just a great way of putting it. I always thought of it as economy of motion, and while I know quite. Few stretch fingered voicings, i tend to “forget” to use them and favor the low stress easy stuff. I’m super lazy at heart, I guess

User Info Menu

Ha! I figured you say something about being lazy. But it's clear to all of us how hard you've worked to be able to play what you do.

User Info Menu

To add to previous comments, that's a great tone you're getting and the hardware isn't hurting in that regard, I'm sure. Some of the harmony has a definite classical / baroque air.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    To add to previous comments, that's a great tone you're getting and the hardware isn't hurting in that regard, I'm sure. Some of the harmony has a definite classical / baroque air.
    thanks, so reinforcing mynpoint about how lazy I am, I never “bothered” to learn any classical guitar, not one piece, not even a piece of a piece. So, I just play like that by ear.