Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 42 of 42

User Info Menu

There are certain members on this forum who seem very experienced, drawing from what they have posted. I remember seeing a live stream from Joel Fass and I really enjoyed seeing and hearing him play. You could see he was having a great time, and it was contagious IMHO.

Surely some of you highly experienced players have a video somewhere you can post to share your own take on the Jazz idiom? Marinero, the obviously witty and plucky member, how about you? Not to single you out, but I love your brand of wit and sarcasm in your post, and it looks as though you have a lifetime of Jazz playing that you could share.

There are others who regularly comment and seem to have so much to offer. Please think about it, and to heck with what someone says if they try to put down your playing. There will always be naysayers - that's life - especially for performers.

As Marinero says with so much gusto, "Play Live!"

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Oh and thank you to those of you who do share your videos on a regular basis. COVID has given me more time to view them and its been entertaining and at times, inspiring.

(One day, I am going to tackle chord-melody---one day...)

User Info Menu

I occasionally post some videos on the forum from my YouTube channel (which has pretty much been the only place we get to play these days..).

I always enjoy watching videos from forum members, since you kind of get to meet the people you read online. I think the quality of anyone's playing is irrelevant on a forum that's about sharing the love of jazz guitar. Like a jam session, just get up there, play, have a good time, go home, practice..
    Here are a few of mine

User Info Menu

I think Alter qualifies :-)

User Info Menu

Thank you, Alter. The style of Jazz you play is one of my favorites. I will be returning the your post to hear those songs again, I am sure.

And might I add, I love your use of dynamics!

I hope that more of our players have access to video equipment and the savvy to post a song or two. I would suppose that many may not be quite up to speed on how to do it, or may lack the necessary equipment.

User Info Menu

I post videos here all the time- I’m not so sure that anyone notices as comments tend to be minimal.

User Info Menu

Wow, Alter, I really enjoyed that

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut
    I post videos here all the time- I’m not so sure that anyone notices as comments tend to be minimal.
    You, DB, and several others regularly post songs in video form. Your videos tend to be relaxing chord-melodies, although I have seen the ones in which you play with others in a band setting.

I thank you for your posts, although it can be a little discouraging since chord melody is not something that I have been able to tackle much. But, like I said, thanks to you and all the others who share their music in video form.

User Info Menu

That's some terrific guitar playing, Alter!

User Info Menu

I have some videos on my YouTube channel, I have probably posted most of these here at some point, anyway feel free to have a look:

Guitar videos - YouTube

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I have some videos on my YouTube channel, I have probably posted most of these here at some point, anyway feel free to have a look:

Guitar videos - YouTube
    Grahambop, I remember first "discovering" you when former member Targuit fawned all over your playing. Like DB, you represent the self-taught very well. I will have a look. Thanks.

User Info Menu

I notice. I love the music you have posted.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    Grahambop, I remember first "discovering" you when former member Targuit fawned all over your playing. Like DB, you represent the self-taught very well. I will have a look. Thanks.
    Thanks. As I recall, his praise came with a sting in the tail - while he liked my playing, he said my intelligence was highly overrated!

User Info Menu

Here is my video version of Nica’s Dream, hope that you like it.

You can check my YouTube channel, you can find tips concerning contemporary jazz language

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Thanks. As I recall, his praise came with a sting in the tail - while he liked my playing, he said my intelligence was highly overrated!
    Ha! ha! Those were the days! That Targuit was a character.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by smikmix

You can check my YouTube channel, you can find tips concerning contemporary jazz language
    This is going to be my last comment on someone's music, and I will just listen and enjoy the thread.

But, that was a wonderful colIaboration. At first, I thought I was listening to Jimmy Raney for a second. That was a great example of two guitars playing together. And I am finding out that keyboards/pianos are not necessary when you have skilled players.

Thanks.

User Info Menu

I think you need to make that video public on YouTube, it is asking for a sign-in, so it is probably set to ‘private’ or something similar.

User Info Menu

I usually catch 'em on Facebook first, Mark, but I always enjoy seeing them here, too.

User Info Menu

Please keep ‘em coming! Your creative take on tunes is much appreciated and inspiring.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Ditto. Mark’s work is always a pleasure and a learning experience on levels conscious and subconscious.

But: I’ve been composing a longer form recently. Other people’s music tends to be distracting, imposing, tempting etc. etc. so I’m not listening to JG folks I usually consider priority treats here. Play on!

User Info Menu

I've just joined and I know nothing about jazz guitar, but I'm pretty good at blues. So as I start on my mission to learn jazz, I will not be afraid to upload some videos of my playing, no matter how pathetic it may be. But already I can see that even though there are thousands of members on this forum, it appears that hardly anyone bothers to upload examples of their playing. So I'll make a deal: I'll watch and comment on your videos if you watch and comment on mine. Then at least two of us will be participating.

User Info Menu

I listen to most of them. I only comment occasionally, but always enjoy.

John

User Info Menu

I have a youtube page, with mostly my stabs at chord melody, and some bits and bobs of things. I've also got a soundcloud page with a mishmosh of more and less polished stuff, including a lot of non-jazz. I sometimes post here, but not all that prolifically. Here's a sample:

John

User Info Menu

I have no fancy equipment so I gave up doing videos because the quality was so awful. However, here's some sort of Autumn Leaves nonsense specially reharmed for the occasion. Well, I can dream...

User Info Menu

Mark,
    I watch your vids on facebook and enjoy them immensely, as you may have deduced from my comments in the posts.
    People, this guy has all the skills! Do yourself a favor and watch him play.
    -M

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sunjamr Steve
    I've just joined .... it appears that hardly anyone bothers to upload examples of their playing....
    https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/showcase/
    August 2020 - I Don't Stand a Ghost of a Chance

Of course, there are more examples, but till you find yourself around, above might help.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    I occasionally post some videos on the forum from my YouTube channel (which has pretty much been the only place we get to play these days..).

I always enjoy watching videos from forum members, since you kind of get to meet the people you read online. I think the quality of anyone's playing is irrelevant on a forum that's about sharing the love of jazz guitar. Like a jam session, just get up there, play, have a good time, go home, practice..
    Here are a few of mine
    Very nice! Any dude who can play that like while looking out the window is waaaaay more experienced than me. But I'll get there, if I don't die of old age first....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    I have a youtube page, with mostly my stabs at chord melody, and some bits and bobs of things. I've also got a soundcloud page with a mishmosh of more and less polished stuff, including a lot of non-jazz. I sometimes post here, but not all that prolifically. Here's a sample:

John
    Very well played, I thought. As a total jazz newbie, I've already learned something. I never knew that a "chord melody" was a thing, but I like the idea. It means you can play with no jamtrack. So far I'm quite impressed at how you jazz veterans can move so quickly between chord voicings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I have no fancy equipment so I gave up doing videos because the quality was so awful. However, here's some sort of Autumn Leaves nonsense specially reharmed for the occasion. Well, I can dream...
    Excellent, Ragman! I want to learn how to do that. As a beginning jazz guitar student, it's really important to me to be able to watch your fingers as you follow through the chord progressions. I see, and I learn. I've made a lot of videos of myself playing blues guitar, and like 99% of other non-professional guitarists, I just use my iPhone. Several full-length Hollywood movies have been shot entirely on iPhones, so you don't need any fancy equipment. It helps if you have a tripod with a cellphone adapter so you can get the cellphone positioned just right. Then you use the front-side camera (a.k.a the selfie camera) lens so that you can look at the screen and see how you are positioned in it. Voila!

User Info Menu

assume this is Roger - I'm always a fan of your music too!

This is from my YouTube channel. One of my latest uploads. Though it could be a good introduction

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    I have a youtube page, ...
    John
    Very nice - love that beautiful acoustic tone.

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I have no fancy equipment so I gave up doing videos ...
    very nicely played.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan
    Of course, there are more examples, but till you find yourself around, above might help.
    cool! thanks for sharing. love it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    I occasionally post some videos ...
    Geez man, these are great! thx for posting

User Info Menu

i don't like to record myself, but there are some grainy vids for your viewing pleasure, lol:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mikeSF
    assume this is Roger - I'm always a fan of your music too!
    My name is Rick (although some on the forum have assumed it's Roger, for some reason). Maybe there's a Roger I'm being confused with?

I hope not, because I appreciate the kind words!

User Info Menu

My name is Rick (although some on the forum have assumed it's Roger, for some reason). Maybe there's a Roger I'm being confused with?

I hope not, because I appreciate the kind words!
    ha, funny. Yeah Roger Placer is a great player and I kinda think his handle is "rpjazz..." or "rpguitar..." or similar. Sorry.

User Info Menu

I've just joined and I know nothing about jazz guitar, but I'm pretty good at blues. So as I start on my mission to learn jazz, I will not be afraid to upload some videos of my playing, no matter how pathetic it may be. But already I can see that even though there are thousands of members on this forum, it appears that hardly anyone bothers to upload examples of their playing. So I'll make a deal: I'll watch and comment on your videos if you watch and comment on mine. Then at least two of us will be participating.
    Sounds like a deal.

I've only uploaded Ike 300 videos here over the years, so feel free to get posting and commenting.

User Info Menu

I’ve never uploaded a video of my playing just for giggles, but I’ve participated in several study groups. The usual format is to work on a chapter of some material or work on a particular exercise and post videos of your progress. In that context I’ve posted dozens.

In my opinion, study groups on this forum are the best resource for a newer player. They force you to follow a course and hold you accountable to post your progress. No one wants to post garbage, so if you stick with the study group you have a powerful incentive to really learn the material before moving on. Check them out, and if there is some book or course you are thinking of working through don’t be afraid to start a new study group!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett
    I’ve never uploaded a video of my playing just for giggles, but I’ve participated in several study groups. The usual format is to work on a chapter of some material or work on a particular exercise and post videos of your progress. In that context I’ve posted dozens.

In my opinion, study groups on this forum are the best resource for a newer player. They force you to follow a course and hold you accountable to post your progress. No one wants to post garbage, so if you stick with the study group you have a powerful incentive to really learn the material before moving on. Check them out, and if there is some book or course you are thinking of working through don’t be afraid to start a new study group!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Where does one find study groups?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by smikmix

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mikko Hilden
    This is from my YouTube channel. One of my latest uploads. Though it could be a good introduction

User Info Menu

Where does one find study groups?
    They appear in the various playing subsections, like "improvisation" or "guitar technique" and have a Prefix that says "[Study Group]". There is an active one now in the "Improvisation" section based on Garrison Fewell's book, but it is pretty far along. I would recommend waiting to either start one yourself or join one when it starts.

A big part of the benefit is feeling the pressure to present your progress with others. It keeps you honest. My webcam died, so I am waiting on a replacement to post for Chapter 6 in that particular study group. I feel a little pressure not to let the group down. As a result I've been working through the concepts applied to "Just Friends" to the point where I am really starting to hate that song! ;-) I had "worked through" this book about two years ago on my own. Total I spent maybe a week and got very little out of it. This time I feel it has really changed the way I look at the fretboard and building solos, and all because I felt accountable to actually put in the work.

Just reading through a concluded study group is less helpful. However, just because there was a study group on a topic a few years back doesn't mean you can't start a new one. If there is a book or a course that you would like some encouragement to really work through, you could propose it. Lesser known or esoteric courses probably won't get much traction, but some of the better known ones will likely net you a half dozen people willing to put in the work and post their progress.