Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

More stuck in the house with a new tele fun.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Don't be ashamed, Joe Pass recorded that tune. With Roy Clark, no less, along with a lot more Hank Williams tunes.

User Info Menu

Thanks!

Oh, surely no shame, I love real country music.

User Info Menu

Your cheatin' heart...not really jazz, but I improvise;)-index-jpg

... It's so lovely, It's just so lovely

User Info Menu

I was just trying to think who's the best lead country player. Not just technique but, you know, they've got the feel... Vince Gill is good. Albert Lee's pretty hot for a Brit... Keith Urban's supposed to be good but he's a bit rocky to be a great country player...

Any ideas? I know one thing, it ain't Chet Atkins. Sorry, Chet :-)

User Info Menu

Jimmy Bryant - or is it only about contemporary players? Brent Mason then?

Funny thing is I've been into some country Tele pickin' myself lately - lots of fun!

(...and another rabbit hole to fall in LOL!)

User Info Menu

Not far from Pete Anderson who played with Dwight Yoakam on Guitars, Cadilacs - one of my favourite country albums. And take a left turn from there, and Roy Buchanan starts waving hello. Great stuff, Jeff.

User Info Menu

There are one or two of these kinds of articles about guitar but basically it started out as a rhythm or accompanying instrument and became a lead/solo tool especially when electrified... just like jazz.

The History of Country Guitar

To be honest, one forgets how time flies by. I used to love the heartfelt songs of a certain era but really they're gone now. I barely recognise what passes for country music these days. Just a lot of noise and rubbish lyrics.

Yes, grandpa :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Jimmy Bryant - or is it only about contemporary players? Brent Mason then?
    Jimmy Bryant is Albert Lee's favorite country player. Jimmy was a monster. Albert is too. I've always been partial to Jerry Reed, who could get pretty damned funky. James Burton and Scotty Moore were formative influences on a lot of country players.Clint Strong, who played with Merle Haggard, has serious jazz chops.

User Info Menu

I used to like Doc Watson. He wasn't a jazz player, but damn he could pick a flat-top guitar, and he could make it sound wonderful. I have no idea about younger modern players, because I can't force myself to listen to modern country music. Clint Strong probably should be near the top, though. He has played with many bands, and does play jazz. Rich O'Brien and Whit Smith are great players. Check their album with Bruce Forman. Here's the first cut I came across:

There are YouTube videos of Whit and the Hot Club of Cowtown with Frank Vignola, plus a lot more. HCOT rawks.

User Info Menu

Oh, Jeff, you've got me going now. Takes me right back, you don't know.

Just crawled out of bed so... and no yelling in the bedroom. I've engineered it a bit, obviously, but otherwise -

Don't do any more, for chrissakes :-)

User Info Menu

Jim Campilongo knows a thing or two.

User Info Menu

Campy would be a favorite of mine...I like the guys who lean jazz...jimmy bryant, Clint strong...

And I like the masters of the take off and fill in...Grady, Luther, Don Rich, Roy Nichols...pete Anderson with Dwight, definitely, and Eddie Perez, who played on his Buck Owen's tribute.

I think most folks here know i did some gigs with a Johnny Cash act...gave me a real appreciation...

My goal this summer is to learn as many Don Helms steel intros as possible on 6 string...

Last edited by mr. beaumont; 07-29-2020 at 10:03 PM.

User Info Menu

Like it!

User Info Menu

Hey, Jeff, just seen the rest of the gig on the playlist. He's good, good voice. I guess playing Johnny Cash songs doesn't give you a lot of opportunity to flex your musical muscles! I thought he might have let you go a bit on Orange Blossom Special but no. But that was the gig. I played bass for a rock n roller once. No rehearsal, just a lot of boogie shuffling over three chords. It was great, stood at the back leering at the girls with a big grin... good fun :-)

It was nice to see you gigging. Got any more?

User Info Menu

Country pickin? Here we go...

User Info Menu

Q. What's James Taylor doing playing solid country with Vince Gill?

A. James Taylor wrote the song.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    More stuck in the house with a new tele fun.

you are really enjoying that tele :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    There are one or two of these kinds of articles about guitar but basically it started out as a rhythm or accompanying instrument and became a lead/solo tool especially when electrified... just like jazz.

The History of Country Guitar

To be honest, one forgets how time flies by. I used to love the heartfelt songs of a certain era but really they're gone now. I barely recognise what passes for country music these days. Just a lot of noise and rubbish lyrics.

Yes, grandpa :-)
    Well the so called ‘alt-country’ thing is a separate strain.... lots of that about...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Well the so called ‘alt-country’ thing is a separate strain.... lots of that about...
    Strain's the right word...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    you are really enjoying that tele :-)
    I am.

Putting it together over the last week or so, getting the setup right...it was a distraction I kinda needed right now.