User Info Menu

I put this up as a challenge in my facebook group but thought i'd share here. It's based on Ravi Coltrane's version. Yes, I know the song is hard enough in 4/4 but i'm treating it as a growth project. I'll post my takes. It took me 2 weeks of 2+ hours a day practice to get even the basics down, a lot of time spent comping the chords and practicing the 4/4 version just to get the basic changes down. I recorded it at 250, 275 and 285 as I got more comfortable. I'm on the verge of actually being able to work on making music over it.

I'd love to hear your takes on it. It's definitely a challenge but I feel like it made me better after the 2+ weeks I've been working on this. And by the way, the intro is not part of the backing track...

Anyone interested in a 26/2 in alternating 5/4 + 4/4 measures?-26-2-jpg

The backing tracks are here: Backing Tracks — Jack Zucker / Sheets of Sound for Guitar

And here are my 3 takes on it. Each one gets a little better though I think i was struggling on the 2nd one...

Take 1

Take 2

Take 3

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Well dang, you're getting somewhere with it!

I can't even get through the head, I the counting drives me nuts.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Well dang, you're getting somewhere with it!

I can't even get through the head, I the counting drives me nuts.
    Jeff, instead of counting numbers, I use a mnemonic phrase. “I just got to think, I can do this”

User Info Menu

This was ridiculously hard for me and is still really rough.

i think it sounds good! It's a tough !@#$ tune. The tune in 4/4 is harder than giant steps and in 5 + 4 it's even more ridiculous so cut yourself some slack brother!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut
    Jeff, instead of counting numbers, I use a mnemonic phrase. “I just got to think, I can do this”
    Lol, I WAS! (scat syllables)

User Info Menu

Wow. Difficult stuff Jack. Great playing! And I love that guitar too.

DB