User Info Menu

Clearing out a cupboard last week, I found 40 cassette tapes of me playing either solo or in various duos some 30 years ago.

Her's a couple of free-improv tracks with a friend, GH, on acoustic synth guitar, me on a Gibson Les Paul:

for some unknown reason, the following are external SoundCloud links only:

Fast Piece by Rob MacKillop | Free Listening on SoundCloud

A contemporary classical piece composed by the American composer, G. P. Cribari, written for a flute and guitar duo I had going at the time. This and the following piece are homages to Federico Garcia Lorca, the Spanish poet, and the duo is called The Lorca Duo. Music begins 2'40" in:

10 Esi Es La Vida Homage To Lorca By G P Cribari by Rob MacKillop | Free Listening on SoundCloud

...and by a Scottish composer, Edward McGuire, Homage on the Death of Lorca:

05 Homage On The Death Of Lorca by Rob MacKillop | Free Listening on SoundCloud

A Bach keyboard partita in four movements, Allemande, Courante, Saraband, Gigue, from his 5th French Suite, arranged for two guitars:

ESRA 1 Bach Keyboard Partita by Rob MacKillop | Free Listening on SoundCloud

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Can't imagine how it feels to find old recording of yourself
    Death of Lorca is great, is that original piece or cover?

User Info Menu

Thanks. As mentioned, it was composed by Scottish composer, Edward McGuire. Glad you like it.

User Info Menu

rob on the rolled back (tone) and reverbed les paul!!...nice eclectic mix...live lorca duo is contempo cool! and bach...well, your typical beauty

a nice journey...dig into some more cupboards!!

fave robert motherwell...at five in the afternoon -1949...based on lorca poem...have stood in front of it...nose to canvas many times...

Painters and Poets: Painter Robert Motherwell and Poet Garcia Lorca

cheers

User Info Menu

Yes, that's an amazing poem by Lorca, and I love those paintings, which I haven't seen before. I'll look more into Motherwell's work. I was heavily into Lorca at the time, created the ensemble in his name, and commissioned works with the help of funds from the Scottish Arts Council, all while I was still a student. I'm not sure what I was like to meet then, but I must have been quite intense, and maybe difficult. A year later I won a scholarship to study in Italy, had an accident there while cutting bread, was told I would never play again, discovered the Scottish lute repertoire, began to play again after nine months, and had three Number One CDs in the Scottish Classical Music Chart. What a crazy time! All the while I loved playing blues and listening to jazz. Talk about mixed up! In a good way, I think.

It's odd that, having zero creative energy due to Covid, I've found recordings of when I was emerging as a musician, and my creative diary from when I was 23, with poems, stories and a play. Coincidence, brought about by having time to clear out cupboards, but interesting nonetheless. It helps to know that at some time in my past I was creative! Right now I can hardly pick up a guitar. I just look at it, and feel drained of energy and will power. Look after yourselves and those around you, my friends.

User Info Menu

Wishing you the best, R-MacK.

User Info Menu

Cheers, rabbit.

User Info Menu

I liked the free improv piece ...chords and was looking for some images to accompany it....recently bought the dvd Bill Douglas trilogy....My Childhood, My Ain Folk and My Way Home and tried it on this you tube trailer...quite unique. No other piece of cinema ever reached that utter sadness, ever showed those quietly shivering landscapes...totally agree..delete the Erik Satie i like your piece...scottish connection too...lol...

User Info Menu

Yes, I had thought of using the music with my photography for a video. I like yours a lot!