Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    I don't know if there are any fusion fans here. I guess this fits under that category. But very bent, as I like it. I recorded this yesterday, July 20, 2020. Just having fun in the studio. I came up with this almost metric-less groove. Bass is in 5/4 and the drums are in 4. There's really no 1. The melody comes in whenever. Just goofing around with voodoo. LOL. I hope you like it!

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    Nice! Stay well!

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Nice! Stay well!
    Thank you! YOu too. All's well over here, despite the song title! LOL.

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    I detest having my ears assailed by endless robotic shredding. However, bursts of intensity in the form of speed, absent here, are absolutely de rigueur in this kind of fusion jam, IMO. The thing (solo) never really takes off.

    To be taken as constructive criticism as I found the the bass/drums interplay pretty damn wicked! And Kudos for putting out original material.

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Thank you. I think. I’ve been working at not having the solo take off, if you know what I mean. I play too fast all the time. So it was more thinking of Chick, Zawinul or Shorter, Herbie. Phrasing. Stepping away. Phrase. Step away. The idea was for it to simmer. There was no place for a climax.

    I basically just do original music, until i started releasing my jazz standards series, which has been doing better than i could have imagined.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Man, you were having way too much fun with your mean green Strat! It was all very well done but I really dug the riffs and tone at 1:30 - 1:40. Patience is a virtue and a necessity for a good solo. The only thing missing was a Voodoo doll with pins sticking out of it.

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Man, you were having way too much fun with your mean green Strat! It was all very well done but I really dug the riffs and tone at 1:30 - 1:40. Patience is a virtue and a necessity for a good solo. The only thing missing was a Voodoo doll with pins sticking out of it.
    Lol. I wish I had a voodoo doll! Thank you. I’ll have to check 1:30!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    Lol. I wish I had a voodoo doll! Thank you. I’ll have to check 1:30!
    Awa's modeliing a traditional Beninois loincloth, a mini calabash from the Voodun market in Cotonou (my luck will end if I ever investigate its' contents), an amulet from Touba & beads & shells from Ghana & Togo. The leather bag has magic groundnuts in it.

    The Rosary was added by a worried Irish aid worker who saw it in my house in Senegal & was concerned for my spiritual welfare.

    The Yucca died when Awa moved next to it. This is a coincidence.

    Be careful what you wish for....
    Attached Images Attached Images Voodoo In The Time Of Pandemic-awa-jpg 

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    Not having heard any of your other stuff, I'm just basing my feedback on this piece, face value.

    That groove needs to be tamed, "caned", if you will, albeit not the whole time, otherwise it'll just buck you off.

    Just one man's impression.

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    Not having heard any of your other stuff, I'm just basing my feedback on this piece, face value.

    That groove needs to be tamed, "caned", if you will, albeit not the whole time, otherwise it'll just buck you off.

    Just one man's impression.
    Tamed? What do you mean?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    I could have chosen a better term maybe: like taming a wild horse. Words are limited.

    Edit: I checked out a couple of your tracks, on SoundCloud, I think. My ears tell me that you generally tend to sit on the edge of the groove rather than play from within it. We can leave it there if you wish.
    Last edited by Peter C; 07-28-2020 at 01:19 PM.