Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 33 of 33

User Info Menu

Hey Fellas, I’m processing this video in the audio daw included In Davinci Resolve-16 which is primarily a video editing software package. The plugins I used are a touch of reverb, stereo imaging and a limiter. WhT do you think guys?

Edit post July1 here’s the raw footage straight off the camera
    for comparison.
    Last edited by Mark Kleinhaut; 07-01-2020 at 06:59 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

nice...sounds like a record...just go easy with the limiting...it tends to kill some of the guitars warmth and increases the fret fingering noise...i'm hearing more of that than usual...otherwise nice pro sound

cheers

User Info Menu

Mark, 1st of all great playing.
    I’ve been using DaVinci Resolve for a couple of months. I stopped using Corel VideoStudio because it is garbage.
    I love everything about it. Your guitar sounds like your guitar. For me, As long as I don’t clip in my headphones the levels are perfect when recording and I have no need for the limiter. You can poke into the red on the meters and the signal remains clean. The reverb sounds heavenly. I love it but a lot of folks don’t like it.
    Try the video editing. It is GREAT. Very stable and professional platform.
    The dynamic Zoom gives you a pan zoom feature that unlike VideoStudio, holds camera resolution completely perfect. And it’s easy to use. It will give your videos a slight sense of variation, which makes it more interesting to the viewer.
    I am still learning cool things about it everyday. I wish it had a multi camera recorder. It doesn’t so I am forced to use Corel’s multi cam.
    For me, DaVinci Resolve is a great program.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    I’ve been using DaVinci Resolve for a couple of months. I stopped using Corel VideoStudio because it is garbage.
    I love everything about it. Your guitar sounds like your guitar. For me, As long as I don’t clip in my headphones the levels are perfect when recording and I have no need for the limiter. You can poke into the red on the meters and the signal remains clean. The reverb sounds heavenly. I love it but a lot of folks don’t like it.
    The dynamic Zoom gives you a pan zoom feature that unlike VideoStudio, holds camera resolution completely perfect. And it’s easy to use. It will give your videos a slight sense of variation, which makes it more interesting to the viewer.
    I am still learning cool things about it everyday. I wish it had a multi camera recorder. It doesn’t so I am forced to use Corel’s multi cam.
    Joe D
    joe, I’ve been doing video editing with some of my virtual collaborations and agree it’s great, though I’m just figuring it out as I go. Thanks for the comments.

User Info Menu

I know nothing about that equipment but I always liked your sound in the other videos.
    This one and one of the last ones Joe posted have too much reverb for my taste. Just my opinion guys, do as you will...

User Info Menu

That is probably why we seek other people’s opinion. We know what we like, but we are not the only people listening. So we try to please everybody!
    I stopped using the reverb plug in as a result. I value your opinion.
    I imagine Mark does too.
    JD

User Info Menu

Don't get me wrong, a little reverb fills things out obviously. I started on Fender combos but switched to an old Gibson GA-50 (ala Jim Hall) for yrs. No verb and when I went back to blackface Fenders once I started playing in B3 combos for the extra power, I'd forgotten how a little verb can enhance the sound.

User Info Menu

I listened over a pair of 1970’s JBL L100s and an old Kenwood amp set dead flat, turned up to house concert volume. The tone an the playing are stunning—just beautiful. I like the amount of reverb/ambiance and didn’t notice a limiting issue.

Edit: I made a comment that I thought the guitar was to the right of center in the stereo image, but after listening to solo guitar recordings by other artists I’ve decided the problem is with my system, as they all sound that way. I might need to clean my cable connectors.
    Last edited by KirkP; 06-30-2020 at 12:38 AM.

User Info Menu

big difference between fender reverb in amp and post production verbs...playin thru a reverbed fender amp changes the way you play...you interact with the reverb...post production or daw type verbs restore some room ambience to your direct recorded signal...2 completely different effects!!

when recording direct..a little time modulation i.e. reverb. delay is needed to restore the ambient qualities of recording...when you hear the classic guitarists we all love, they were recorded with plenty of mic leakage and natural room reverb...that was the nature of recording at that time

and much reverb was further added when the records were mastered

listen to some old stan getz...musicians, (including coltrane!!!) called him "the sound" (with johnny smith!).....his tenor is bathed in reverb

always trust your ears!!

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 06-29-2020 at 10:35 PM.

User Info Menu

Lovely playing.

User Info Menu

I do trust my ears, they've gotten me this far, I've been recorded in the studio more than a few times. and while I hear you about Stan etc, those recordings certainly have their share of verb but they don't sound saturated, it sounds more natural/organic, Whether live or applied later it's a matter of personal taste. I just prefer only a touch personally, ymmv.

User Info Menu

wasn't responding to you at all wintermoon..respect!..i value your opinion always!

just trying to help mark k out..who's playing, i always enjoy

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    wasn't responding to you at all wintermoon..respect!..i value your opinion always!

just trying to help mark k out..who's playing, i always enjoy

cheers
    All good NA, thought you meant me since I brought up Fender verb. but I get you, they're def 2 different things, I'm only using my ears, only cause I know no other way. peace....

User Info Menu

Thanks for all of the feedback gents. As to the reverb, I should clarify that i added just a very little bit of reverb in top of the recorder amp verb. I’m using reverb on the amp with the same settings I always have (its a roland microcube Bass RX) and I’m close miking the amp. No direct. Just the one mike which is a stereo audio Technica AT8022. I also used a spacial image “enhancer” which widens the sound with phase trickery which makes the perception of verb increase and could also account for some weird soundstage locational auditory cues.

Due to the lockdown, the mike and amp and all settings haven’t moved in months so the only variables are age of strings and temp/humidity effecting the instruments. And then now, of course, the subject processing. Here’s another take from a few months ago with zero post processing. Just straight shoot in my zoom q8 camera and upload to the tube. For comparison for those interested. Sometimes less is more. Thanks again all for listening and sharing thoughts.

User Info Menu

They're both good sounds, but I prefer the earlier, less processed sound (listening on not-too-terrible JBL earbuds). The later take sounds like it's recorded in a large empty hall, and that clashes with the visual of you sitting in your living room. Ditto for the stereo spread. The bass is a little boomy and muddy on the later take as well, which could be from the compression.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    They're both good sounds, but I prefer the earlier, less processed sound (listening on not-too-terrible JBL earbuds). The later take sounds like it's recorded in a large empty hall, and that clashes with the visual of you sitting in your living room. Ditto for the stereo spread. The bass is a little boomy and muddy on the later take as well, which could be from the compression.

John
    thanks John, I do need to keep fine tuning and adjusting things. The processing is easy to overdo as ones ears adjust so quickly to the ear candy.

User Info Menu

You said you processed this with some software. What did the (raw) recording sound like? What issue were you trying to solve with the processing? Usually that style of guitar recordings try to sound acoustic/organic. Were you after something different?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SoftwareGuy
    You said you processed this with some software. What did the (raw) recording sound like? What issue were you trying to solve with the processing? Usually that style of guitar recordings try to sound acoustic/organic. Were you after something different?
    Man, that’s a spot on question. There was no problem whatsoever with the raw recording- i could repost later today an unprocessed version. I was solely doing the processing for its own sake- just because I could. Sounds ridiculous saying that now, and I should stick to just playing guitar perhaps, but it’s fun to experiment and see if things translate over the internet (smaller file resolution and streaming issues) plus the wide range of systems folks use to listen. In other words- guesswork.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.

John
    First, great playing on each, really enjoyed them! I especially liked that minor turnaround going to the first bridge in My One and Only.

I also preferred the unprocessed sound of the second video you posted. My One and Only had just a touch too much ?processing? such that it did not sound as if it were in the same room of the playing that one saw in the video, as if it lost the intimacy of the playing. Not a bad sound but just didn't quite fit with what I was seeing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by keith
    First, great playing on each, really enjoyed them! I especially liked that minor turnaround going to the first bridge in My One and Only.

I also preferred the unprocessed sound of the second video you posted. My One and Only had just a touch too much ?processing? such that it did not sound as if it were in the same room of the playing that one saw in the video, as if it lost the intimacy of the playing. Not a bad sound but just didn't quite fit with what I was seeing.
    thanks for sharing the impressions. Several comments have mentioned the room size sound as a disconnect from the visual living room intimacy, which I never have a thought to. If I can figure out the video editing possibilities, I might be able to place myself in a large all or maybe some beautiful outdoor amphitheater where the soundscape can match up. Clearly in theses times of zero gigs I’ve got nothing better to do!!

User Info Menu

They both sound gorgeous. The second one seems to have more midrange, personal taste but I like the eq of the 1st one better. The reverb, as far as levels I like them both, I prefer the sonic quality of the reverb on the 1st recording. You could experiment with shortening the length of the tail of the reverb on that second one (if you are able to do that in that software). But really I like that reverb the way it is, admittedly I'm a reverb guy.

Much more finger squeak on the first recording. The finger squeak can be edited out, best to do it by manually in my opinion. It's a bit of detail work that might take 15 minutes. I'm not sure you would need a limiter for a solo performance, maybe if the loudest peaks are a bit much you could just touch those a little bit.

User Info Menu

Thanks! I think the string noise was brought up by one of the settings in the stereo image enhancer, which included an option for some added sizzle which is probably some form of harmonic exciter. What was I thinking? I personally like both sounds so it’s splitting hairs. Thanks for listening and commenting.

User Info Menu

Mark,
    I just tried the Stereo Width Enhancer you mentioned and I think it gives a very subtle Enhancement to the sound. And I mean subtle. But its beautiful.
    With my Sennheiser Momentum Headphones, all it did was widen the sound stage, where it almost sounds like it does on my open back HD700's. Which is an incredible enhancement. I LOVE DaVinci Resolve.
    And I appreciate you bringing this up. I plan on using it every time.

User Info Menu

I like them both. I'm a reverb guy, and both versions have their charms. i dig that reverberation provides a comb filter effect that enhances a nice vibrato, which your excellent playing exemplifies. Well done!

User Info Menu

How about multiple videos with DaVinci Resolve. My editing software starts having trouble when I have more than four videos going at the same time. Of course this all depends on the video size (resolution) and how powerful of a computer one has. I'm using VSDC because it seems to do the best at running multiple videos without crashing. But still I wish there was something even more efficient.

User Info Menu

Fep
    I only use 3 HD cameras at once. The reason I switched to DaVinci Resolve is because Video Studio Crashes All the time for me. And when you ask Corel for a fix, they act like they have no idea what you are talking about. Every year they put out an upgrade and it NEVER addresses the problems.
    DaVinci Resolve has never shut down or crashed. Not once.
    In fairness, DaVinci does not capture Multiple Camera at once. Corel’s Multi Cam Capture does. Very well in fact.
    Mark, sorry to steal your thread.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Fep
    I only use 3 HD cameras at once. The reason I switched to DaVinci Resolve is because Video Studio Crashes All the time for me. And when you ask Corel for a fix, they act like they have no idea what you are talking about. Every year they put out an upgrade and it NEVER addresses the problems.
    DaVinci Resolve has never shut down or crashed. Not once.
    In fairness, DaVinci does not capture Multiple Camera at once. Corel’s Multi Cam Capture does. Very well in fact.
    Mark, sorry to steal your thread.
    Joe D
    I don't film to my video editor, I film with my smartphone, my new one and my old one at the same time when I want multiple camera angles. I then import from the camera to VSDC video editor. So I don't need the editor to do Multiple Cameras at once. (I simultaneously record audio to my DAW, Reaper.)

Thanks for your reply.

User Info Menu

Thanks for so much discussion about the sound processing both pros and cons. Here is a remix of the song originally posted with zero post processing- straight out of the camera, which is obviously a back comparison track to the processed version.

User Info Menu

Joe D
    joe, where, or I should say in which menu, do you find the dynamic zoom? Sounds interesting!
    Last edited by Mark Kleinhaut; 07-01-2020 at 01:51 PM.

User Info Menu

Love the intro -- both the music and the reverb brought pick-era John Abercrombie to mind, and that's meant as a compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut
    thanks John, I do need to keep fine tuning and adjusting things. The processing is easy to overdo as ones ears adjust so quickly to the ear candy.
    IME you had a truly excellent recording engineer in-house. Perhaps you could persuade her to take up the chair again . . .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry
    Love the intro -- both the music and the reverb brought pick-era John Abercrombie to mind, and that's meant as a compliment.

IME you had a truly excellent recording engineer in-house. Perhaps you could persuade her to take up the chair again . . .
    thanks so much Sam, good to hear from you man! Erika retired from engineering several years ago when she suffered some single sided hearing loss.

User Info Menu

joe, where, or I should say in which menu, do you find the dynamic zoom? Sounds interesting!
    Go to the edit screen. Click on inspector in upper right. The drop down has dynamic zoom in it.
    Your gonna love it.
    JD

User Info Menu

Erika retired from engineering several years ago when she suffered some single sided hearing loss.
    Wow, that cannot be easy for anybody, and surely no less for her.

I'm sure you're careful for yourself too, Mark. We all need to be. Heck, I've got a drumset at 12:00 and trumpets at 9:00 (at least I did, in The World Before).