Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1

    User Info Menu



    Here’s another from Monday’s rehearsal. I wrote this a long time ago. One of my melodic tunes. It was a throw away at rehearsal since the bass player had to leave for another rehearsal. My question- does Um Dang work as a title or Forever Be?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by henryrobinett; 06-13-2020 at 11:45 PM.

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    Kind of like "Mingus, Ah-Um." It was the first thing that came to mind.

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    Kind of like "Mingus, Ah-Um." It was the first thing that came to mind.
    Interesting. Thank you. Um Dang. I get it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett

    My question- does Um Dang work as a title or Forever Be?
    Charlie Parker wrote a tune titled "Klactoveedsedstene". When asked for the deep meaning of it, he laughed and said: "Why man, it's just a sound."



    Sendt fra min SM-T810 med Tapatalk

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by oldane
    Charlie Parker wrote a tune titled "Klactoveedsedstene". When asked for the deep meaning of it, he laughed and said: "Why man, it's just a sound."



    Sendt fra min SM-T810 med Tapatalk
    True. What I mean is can it fit the song? I always try to come up with titles that convey what the song is about. It’s an OLD song. But does it sound like Um Dang?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Um Dang works for me , but Forever Be has a nice lilt to it, and might get more commercial attention.

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    Nice playing Henry. I have a weird problem with Um Dang. I can't stop seeing it as the name of some Mongolian War Lord from some centuries ago, or maybe a character from Lord of Rings. I think it needs some hyphenation along the lines of Mingus to make it work.

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    Hey Henry... also nice. "Forever Be", reminds me of early Metheny and Mays, (RIP) in the 70's. Good vibe, nice smile.
    Hope to see ya when we can...

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    Nice playing Henry. I have a weird problem with Um Dang. I can't stop seeing it as the name of some Mongolian War Lord from some centuries ago, or maybe a character from Lord of Rings. I think it needs some hyphenation along the lines of Mingus to make it work.
    I would punctuate it as "Um, Dang!"

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    Nice playing Henry. I have a weird problem with Um Dang. I can't stop seeing it as the name of some Mongolian War Lord from some centuries ago, or maybe a character from Lord of Rings. I think it needs some hyphenation along the lines of Mingus to make it work.
    Well yeah, I can see that! Lol. Actually I think Um Dang works better if it was a nasty funk tune. Lol.

    I love the Um,Dang. But Forever Be works better in the vibe of the song.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Hey Henry... also nice. "Forever Be", reminds me of early Metheny and Mays, (RIP) in the 70's. Good vibe, nice smile.
    Hope to see ya when we can...
    Thanks Reg. Yeah, there’s kind of a Better Days vibe to it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    In my poet hat (i.e., where I have had most of my career in the arts), this melody and arrangement are Forever Be. The qualities of radiance, grace, kindness, imperturbable spirit that permeate the composition have zip zilch nada to do with Um, Dang. I would love to hear a composition that embodied Um, Dang—but I think, no, believe that Monk has to be in the room, or at least Jim Hall in one of his “Let’s hide the melody inside syncopation and hide the syncopation inside shifting time signatures” moments.

    I can imagine Jim Hall, who wrote Frizzle Frazzle to play with Bill Frisell, in heaven writing a such a piece as a duo with Mike Stern titled Stern Um Dang—which might make Goethe, in another Zoom Room in heaven, smile. Or wince. either reaction is fine. Um Dang is on the comic spectrum, whereas if I were to order a bunch of nice melodic guitarists to compose a Forever Be, I might get a lot of wan treacly Windham Hill snooze.

    In any case, I believe Um Dang The Concept deserves something different—a recipe that includes dissonance, clash-chordals, bronc-busting time changes, etc.— and I vote sincerely for the title whose idealistic sincerity matches what the tune embodies.

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    Great song, arrangement and playing by all!

    As for the song title, "Um Dang", my first thought was DaNang, Viet Nam.
    My second thought was what I think when a drop dead gorgeous woman struts by. Um...Dang, Baby!

    I agree with you that it has more of a funky vibe connotation...or something less 'sweet' than what your song is.