User Info Menu

This is a track in the genre of Virus Jazz.

Some friends contributed tracks, each recorded at home, alone.

I assembled it into this.

I'm new to Reaper, new to this way of recording, new to mixing, etc etc.

Comments and advice welcome.

I can hear some flams that I need to fix.

What else might make it better?

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files Attached Files

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You will get more listens if you upload it to Soundcloud and put the link here, I can’t play this on my iPad, also some people don’t like downloading a physical file like that.

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    You will get more listens if you upload it to Soundcloud and put the link here, I can’t play this on my iPad, also some people don’t like downloading a physical file like that.
    Thanks for the tip. I thought it streamed from soundclick.

Here's a soundcloud link.

Last edited by rpjazzguitar; 06-06-2020 at 06:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    This is a track in the genre of Virus Jazz.

Some friends contributed tracks, each recorded at home, alone.

I assembled it into this.

I'm new to Reaper, new to this way of recording, new to mixing, etc etc.

Comments and advice welcome.

I can hear some flams that I need to fix.

What else might make it better?

Thanks in advance.

edit: Improved track linked in a later post below
    Last edited by rpjazzguitar; 06-05-2020 at 05:58 PM.

User Info Menu

I haven’t really had a chance to give it a proper listen, also I am only listening on iPad so not on proper speakers. But a couple of things that strike me are:

Is there a bass guitar in here somewhere? I can barely hear it. I’d have thought for this kind of music you want the bass a lot more prominent.

The sax sounds a bit ‘dry’, and sounds like it was recorded in a small room. I would be inclined to add just a touch of reverb to it to soften it a bit. (But do not overdo it, the commonest mistake is people drowning everything in reverb a mile deep, that sounds dreadful!).

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I haven’t really had a chance to give it a proper listen, also I am only listening on iPad so not on proper speakers. But a couple of things that strike me are:

Is there a bass guitar in here somewhere? I can barely hear it. I’d have thought for this kind of music you want the bass a lot more prominent.

The sax sounds a bit ‘dry’, and sounds like it was recorded in a small room. I would be inclined to add just a touch of reverb to it to soften it a bit. (But do not overdo it, the commonest mistake is people drowning everything in reverb a mile deep, that sounds dreadful!).
    Thanks. Apparently, the headphones I used overemphasize bass. I also thought there were some timing issues with the bass track so I didn't mix it prominently. I'm going to record a bass track myself and see if I can improve it a bit.

Thanks for the comment about the alto. I agree. I'm working on a version without it -- playing the melody and second solo on guitar.

Here is another mix. This time, I removed the saxophone and added a guitar track to play the melody. I improved the bass line and used two guitar solos instead of guitar/piano.

I also edited the two comping tracks to eliminate some clashes and some Reaper errors.

Opinions welcome. '

Last edited by rpjazzguitar; 06-06-2020 at 03:20 AM.