1. #1

    User Info Menu

    This is a track in the genre of Virus Jazz.

    Some friends contributed tracks, each recorded at home, alone.

    I assembled it into this.

    I'm new to Reaper, new to this way of recording, new to mixing, etc etc.

    Comments and advice welcome.

    I can hear some flams that I need to fix.

    What else might make it better?

    Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files Attached Files

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    You will get more listens if you upload it to Soundcloud and put the link here, I can’t play this on my iPad, also some people don’t like downloading a physical file like that.

  4. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    You will get more listens if you upload it to Soundcloud and put the link here, I can’t play this on my iPad, also some people don’t like downloading a physical file like that.
    Thanks for the tip. I thought it streamed from soundclick.

  5. #4
    Here's a soundcloud link.

    Last edited by rpjazzguitar; 06-06-2020 at 06:08 AM.

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    This is a track in the genre of Virus Jazz.

    Some friends contributed tracks, each recorded at home, alone.

    I assembled it into this.

    I'm new to Reaper, new to this way of recording, new to mixing, etc etc.

    Comments and advice welcome.

    I can hear some flams that I need to fix.

    What else might make it better?

    Thanks in advance.

    edit: Improved track linked in a later post below
    Last edited by rpjazzguitar; 06-05-2020 at 05:58 PM.

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    I haven’t really had a chance to give it a proper listen, also I am only listening on iPad so not on proper speakers. But a couple of things that strike me are:

    Is there a bass guitar in here somewhere? I can barely hear it. I’d have thought for this kind of music you want the bass a lot more prominent.

    The sax sounds a bit ‘dry’, and sounds like it was recorded in a small room. I would be inclined to add just a touch of reverb to it to soften it a bit. (But do not overdo it, the commonest mistake is people drowning everything in reverb a mile deep, that sounds dreadful!).

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I haven’t really had a chance to give it a proper listen, also I am only listening on iPad so not on proper speakers. But a couple of things that strike me are:

    Is there a bass guitar in here somewhere? I can barely hear it. I’d have thought for this kind of music you want the bass a lot more prominent.

    The sax sounds a bit ‘dry’, and sounds like it was recorded in a small room. I would be inclined to add just a touch of reverb to it to soften it a bit. (But do not overdo it, the commonest mistake is people drowning everything in reverb a mile deep, that sounds dreadful!).
    Thanks. Apparently, the headphones I used overemphasize bass. I also thought there were some timing issues with the bass track so I didn't mix it prominently. I'm going to record a bass track myself and see if I can improve it a bit.

    Thanks for the comment about the alto. I agree. I'm working on a version without it -- playing the melody and second solo on guitar.

  9. #8
    Here is another mix. This time, I removed the saxophone and added a guitar track to play the melody. I improved the bass line and used two guitar solos instead of guitar/piano.

    I also edited the two comping tracks to eliminate some clashes and some Reaper errors.

    Opinions welcome. '

    Last edited by rpjazzguitar; 06-06-2020 at 03:20 AM.