User Info Menu

I just re-recorded an old tune of mine that I had originally recorded with a Korg D8 digital portastudio and a drum machine 20-odd years ago. This time, I did it in GarageBand with loops of real drums, so at least that aspect of it is less cheesy. But I think there probably is a reason people make recordings with other actual musicians in actual studios and engineers who know how to use them, rather than by themselves in their kitchens.

John
    Last edited by John A.; 05-24-2020 at 11:56 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Tommo set the bar pretty high, but your song was pretty convincing. If I may, let me say that You probably need to spend a few years drinking some bad whiskey and smoking lot of cigarettes however, because your voice is a little too smooth and clear - but I could hear the passion.

Great solo and overall guitar work. Nice recording that made my moment!

Stay safe!

User Info Menu

Believe me, I've spent precious time and hard-earned money on studio projects that didn't sound anywhere near as nice (Fault soley my own. Lessons learned).

Really like your guitar tone!

Self production is arduous, with a steep learning curve. To see a song to complete is no mean accomplishment. My self-produced album UTONIA took me ten months. I had no-one to help me (my bandmates declined) so I used a Yamaha DR-15 IIRC for the drum and bass tracks. Starting with a Tascam 432 4-track cassette machine, I had finished to tracks when died, so I tackled the rest with Cakewalk's Guitar Tracks, an essentially four track affair. With judicious ping-ponging, I was able to squeeze out a few more tracks. I archived as much as I could on CDs with the result that I am knee-deep in discs. Did 15 tracks for about a hundred bucks and ten large worth of vintage and state-of-the-art guitars and amps.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    Tommo set the bar pretty high, but your song was pretty convincing. If I may, let me say that You probably need to spend a few years drinking some bad whiskey and smoking lot of cigarettes however, because your voice is a little too smooth and clear - but I could hear the passion.

Great solo and overall guitar work. Nice recording that made my moment!

Stay safe!
    Hah, I definitely paid my whiskey and smoke-filled bar dues. Thanks!

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Believe me, I've spent precious time and hard-earned money on studio projects that didn't sound anywhere near as nice (Fault soley my own. Lessons learned).

Really like your guitar tone!

Self production is arduous, with a steep learning curve. To see a song to complete is no mean accomplishment. My self-produced album UTONIA took me ten months. I had no-one to help me (my bandmates declined) so I used a Yamaha DR-15 IIRC for the drum and bass tracks. Starting with a Tascam 432 4-track cassette machine, I had finished to tracks when died, so I tackled the rest with Cakewalk's Guitar Tracks, an essentially four track affair. With judicious ping-ponging, I was able to squeeze out a few more tracks. I archived as much as I could on CDs with the result that I am knee-deep in discs. Did 15 tracks for about a hundred bucks and ten large worth of vintage and state-of-the-art guitars and amps.
    Thanks -- the guitar tone is my trusty D'Angelico EX DC semi-hollow with GarageBand's blackface 4x10 combo model and GB's tubescreamer plugin. I started out with a Tascam PortaOne cassette 4-track, and ping-ponged like mad. I can't say I miss cassette tech.

I agree that self production is hard -- hard to get a good performance all by oneself, hard to hear oneself objectively, and sometimes not enough hands to manage the all the knobs (real or virtual).

John