User Info Menu

My two favorite types of music are jazz and reggae, so of course one of my favorite guitar players ever is Ernest Ranglin...so since I have time, I decided to mess with garage band a bit, gonna put together a bunch of reggae jazz tunes, and see where it goes.

I'm playing guitar and bass, and I'm using garage band for drums and piano.

Some work to go, but it sounds fun.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You know how much I love Ernest Ranglin! Nicely done!

User Info Menu

Yea, I'm a big fan too. One of the best concert I saw was ER in NYC. I especially love early reggae, ska, rocksteady, dub, I think you got this vibe. Nice stick bass riff, maybe put it in the loop?

User Info Menu

Thanks fellas. Yeah, I think that tic tac riff should go right on it...

User Info Menu

cool...huge old reggae and dub fan...always nice to see some ranglin love

another, lesser known combination of jazz guitar and reggae was by great nyc session guitarist eric gale...gale was part of the legendary nyc band-stuff-with cornell dupree on guitar as well

negril

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    My two favorite types of music are jazz and reggae, so of course one of my favorite guitar players ever is Ernest Ranglin...so since I have time, I decided to mess with garage band a bit, gonna put together a bunch of reggae jazz tunes, and see where it goes.

I'm playing guitar and bass, and I'm using garage band for drums and piano.

Some work to go, but it sounds fun.

Really nice sound. I like the mix of the staccato picking and those chords. One thing I noticed is the use of mostly the last 3 string (or 4), but there isn't a tinny sound. I had it beat into me that not to play that way (joking, but only somewhat), but here it really fits versus full body chords and use of the 5 and 6 stings. Like you noted in the penatontic thread, I need to get over some of these 'jazz guitar playing' rules that left too many scars.

User Info Menu

I have E.R. on my pandora shuffle always smile when he turns up

User Info Menu

Sounds good man!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by robbro@coastwifi.com
    I have E.R. on my pandora shuffle always smile when he turns up
    I have an Ernest Ranglin channel on my Pandora. It's great...my wife even likes it. The algorithm feeds you instrumental reggae and Caribbean flavored jazz. It even throws in that old Marley tribute album Charlie Hunter did. It's really cool. Try it!